Accidentally made coconut sugar paste! Can I eat it?

Prairie Farmer

So I was attempting to create coconut flour for a recipe cuz I didn't have any, and I put some dried, unsweetened coconut flakes (nothing else) into a blendtec.  It didn't make flour - but what it did create was an incredibly sweet, thick paste.  Interesting how sweet it tastes compared to just eating the flakes, unblended.  

Anyhoo, my immediate thought was - sugar!  I'll put this in my coffee!

But, after thinking about that, I thought hmm....maybe not such a good idea.  I, after all, starting Whole30 (this is my 2nd month) mainly to break a bad sugar addiction.  Used to start out my day with a "little coffee with my cream and sugar."  Now I'm pretty happy with my coffee with just a dollop of coconut cream.

OTOH, this would sorta be the same as coconut amino's.  Right?  

So, what do you guys say?

My inclination is maybe it is okay as an ingredient for certain recipes.  And definitely post Whole30 might be nice as a sugar substitute for the occasional dessert.  But if I start putting spoonfuls of this into my coffee I'm probably going to be doing myself no good...

Thoughts?

• Moderators

So I was attempting to create coconut flour for a recipe cuz I didn't have any, and I put some dried, unsweetened coconut flakes (nothing else) into a blendtec.  It didn't make flour - but what it did create was an incredibly sweet, thick paste.  Interesting how sweet it tastes compared to just eating the flakes, unblended.  

Anyhoo, my immediate thought was - sugar!  I'll put this in my coffee!

But, after thinking about that, I thought hmm....maybe not such a good idea.  I, after all, starting Whole30 (this is my 2nd month) mainly to break a bad sugar addiction.  Used to start out my day with a "little coffee with my cream and sugar."  Now I'm pretty happy with my coffee with just a dollop of coconut cream.

OTOH, this would sorta be the same as coconut amino's.  Right?  

So, what do you guys say?

My inclination is maybe it is okay as an ingredient for certain recipes.  And definitely post Whole30 might be nice as a sugar substitute for the occasional dessert.  But if I start putting spoonfuls of this into my coffee I'm probably going to be doing myself no good...

Thoughts?

Re: your comment about coconut aminos. No, it would not be the same as coconut aminos. Coconut aminos are a fermented product where all the sugar is fermented away... Also, I can't think of a single person who would not be able to exercise self control around coconut aminos, where coconut butter... ya, I know LOTS of people who can't be anywhere near the stuff lest the entire jar go missing...

Artisana coconut butter packets for me!

Your taste buds must really be changing if the natural sweetness of coconut butter made you think you created sugar. That's great news! But keep it out of sugar and no desserts! Green olives are a great way to end a meal and soon your mind will associate the strong salty taste with the end of a meal instead of wanting a sweet.

Archived