additives and preservatives

HelenLA

I just began my first whole 30 today and my first whole30 shopping trip Thursday night was eye opening. I carried the download from the website that is a cheat sheet of common additives while I shopped. I was amazed to see just how many additives there are in foods and I found the list to be inadequate. a jar of pickled jalapenos did not have very many ingredients in it but it had additives that weren't on the list. this is just one example. so I was standing in the aisle searching for compliant and non compliant additives on my phone. this took extremely too long and I was blocking the progress of other shoppers. I knew my shopping would take longer than usual but I am hoping to speed this process up the next time. Is there a source for a more comprehensive list of compliant and non-compliant additives somewhere? When in doubt I just didn't buy the item. I know that the fewer additives the better but, as I said, the pickled jalapenos had very few ingredients yet they still weren't all on the list. I just decided to skip them and use fresh jalapenos but that isn't going to work with everything I want or need to buy. I hope this makes sense and I really appreciate the feedback as I begin this journey.

• Administrators

All things that are not permitted are on that list. It is impossible to create a list of every possible food additive you may find so they focussed on the ones that are specifically not permitted and the other common ones that you will find. Beyond that, it's up to you how many other additives you choose to ingest.

It gets easier too, I've learned some brands I've just had to leave behind as they *always* have crap in them I don't want to eat.

Often if it's got more than 5 ingredients, it's not a good choice.

You can also do some research online, to make your shopping a little quicker, but you still need to read the labels.

If there's something you're not sure about, type it "weirdly named ingredient" whole30 into a search engine and see what it says.

Some additives also have 10 or more different names for the same thing.

Archived