Uses for Chicken stock

billyliar

Soup can't go wrong with soup.

I'm definitely going to make a few soups with it this week.

I have The Paleo cookbook and there's recipes based on chicken stock for loads of soups so will probably start there.

I'll probably do a curry as well, there's a recipe in the same book for Green chicken masala which looks good. 

• Moderators

I'm curious how everyone stores their stock after they make it? do you use it up quickly enough not to have to freeze it? If not what do you freeze it in?

I sometimes freeze part of a batch, especially in the summer when I use less. I've tried a couple of different ways.

I'd read about freezing them in silicone muffin tins and ice cube trays so you'd be able to use either large or small amounts as needed. Once frozen, you transfer the frozen cubes to a baggie or other container. I found I never really use less than a cup at a time, and usually more, so this ended up not really being worth it for me.

I've frozen in Mason jars before, and if you're trying to avoid plastic, as some people are, this is a good way. Pint or quart size Mason jars, preferably wide mouth so you can get the broth out even while it's still partially frozen if you need to, work well. Many have freeze lines marked, definitely leave room for the broth to expand.

My personal favorite way, though, is in ziplock type freezer bags. Quart or gallon size work. I'd measure cups of broth into a baggie, label the baggie with how much was in it and the date, seal it, and lay it flat in the freezer. Once frozen, they can be stood up so they take less room. Downsides of this method are that it is using plastic, which I personally decided is a risk I'm okay with at this point, but I understand not everyone feels the same, plus the extra waste generated from using plastic bags.

I sometimes freeze part of a batch, especially in the summer when I use less. I've tried a couple of different ways.

I'd read about freezing them in silicone muffin tins and ice cube trays so you'd be able to use either large or small amounts as needed. Once frozen, you transfer the frozen cubes to a baggie or other container. I found I never really use less than a cup at a time, and usually more, so this ended up not really being worth it for me.

I've frozen in Mason jars before, and if you're trying to avoid plastic, as some people are, this is a good way. Pint or quart size Mason jars, preferably wide mouth so you can get the broth out even while it's still partially frozen if you need to, work well. Many have freeze lines marked, definitely leave room for the broth to expand.

My personal favorite way, though, is in ziplock type freezer bags. Quart or gallon size work. I'd measure cups of broth into a baggie, label the baggie with how much was in it and the date, seal it, and lay it flat in the freezer. Once frozen, they can be stood up so they take less room. Downsides of this method are that it is using plastic, which I personally decided is a risk I'm okay with at this point, but I understand not everyone feels the same, plus the extra waste generated from using plastic bags.

Thanks, that's really helpful.

I was planning on freezing some in ice cube trays as a replacement for stock cubes but like you i'm more likely to cook in bulk and use at least a cup at a time.

Archived