Whole Family Whole30 - Round 1

CaliJADE

I just recently discovered Whole30 and as soon as I started digging a bit there seemed to be people coming out of the woodwork who have done the program and have started cheering me on! I'm a gastric bypass girl, so my weight does not reflect my eating habits. My joints, however, do.

My husband and 3.5 year old will both be working this program with me because we all have atrocious habits and I refuse to allow my children to develop the same relationship with food that hubs and I grew up with. I have an 11 month old who will technically also be on the program since she is still nursing but loves her solids too.

I am SO incredibly excited to begin. Our first day will be Monday, January 11th and I have spent this week prior reading The Whole 30 book and getting my ducks in a row. We live with my mother-in-law who will not be compliant (and who is a food/diet saboteur to say the least!), so I spent the day packing away all the non-compliant food and creating a "safe" shelf for us that has all 100% compliant foods. My refrigerator and freezer have also been made over and stocked. A few more items are left to get tomorrow and then we're ready! I can't wait for this journey to start!!!

Well, I have been preparing and preparing, but I needed one more day. I have virtually everything I need but I wasn't able to get anything ready for my husband to take with him to work today. I decided taking this one extra day to get everything really truly ready so that we can all be successful is the most important thing to do right now.

Will edit to add starting stats :)

Well, wow! Can I just say that prep for this plan is a bi*ch! I really love to cook and prepare meals for myself and my family, but holy moly I'm sick of cooking.

Having said that, I've made some adjustments to my initial plan. My 3 year old is not following the plan with us exactly. He is legume and added sugar free, but he still may eat grain and dairy for now. I was feeling so overwhelmed by the thought of having to do everything for everyone in my family to make sure they stay compliant and it was just too much, so I decided My husband and I would go for it and the kids would sort of fall into it based on what's in the house anyway. It's funny though because in only 4 days of being on this plan my son has branched out and eaten more fruits and vegetables than he has in a while! Tonight he helped me make zucchini noodles and spaghetti sauce and loved it!

Anyway, my starting weight - fully clothed - was 139.5, and my husband's was 286. I'm about to head to bed on day 4 and so far it has been relatively easy and *painless* to stay on track. The first few days were tough as my habits called out to me. I was snacking a lot and just always felt the need to be eating. I'm pretty sure my body was just in shock and trying to get me to go eat the sugar and grains I'm so used to. I powered through it though and today was much better. My biggest challenge was that my son was still hungry tonight after eating a ton of zucchini Bolognese and asked for a quesadilla. I WANTED a bite. Just a teeny one. But, alas, I reached for the banana with coconut butter and all was well.

As a rule, I suck at diets, I find this plan incredibly easy though for some reason because it allows me to cook and feel a purpose in my home, which for other ridiculous reasons I've been missing for some time, and it is really just about making different purchasing choices at the store. I'm so relieved to not feel a need for fast food, and sugar. Not even my ultimate vice Starbucks hasn't pulled me in. Actually, just now is the first I've thought about a Starbucks drink and I don't feel the familiar impulses.

Only 4 days in and I already feel a change in my psyche. That's pretty wild.

Onward.  

Archived