Want to quit at end of Day 9

stylesf

Hi people!  I am writing as a last ditch effort to get some support NOT to quit!

I am at the end of Day 9 and I am so tempted to quit.

I have been SO grouchy with my family - my kids hate me, I am sure my husband is sick of this, and I KNOW that I cannot maintain this after the 30 days (or 9, as the case may be)....

How can I keep going?  Life is not as fun without being able to socialize with a glass of wine, ice cream occasionally or a treat at the movies!  Ugh.

Thanks for listening.

• Moderators

Hi, Stylesf, sorry to hear you're having a rough time.

Wine, ice cream, and whatever your movie treat of choice is will all still be there at the end of your Whole30, they're not going anywhere, and you haven't committed to giving them up forever.  In the meantime, figure out other things to do. You can eat dinner with friends and family without wine, you can even go to bars and order sparkling water with a slice of lemon or lime, or with an olive -- it's not about the alcohol when you're out with people you love, it's about being with them, enjoying their company, and catching up on what's going on in your lives. You can live a month without ice cream. Movies are enjoyable because they're movies, not because you're eating chemical-laden popcorn or sugary sweets.

I do wonder about the grouchiness -- usually by now, that phase has passed. Are you making sure your meals meet the meal template? That means, at each meal:

• 1-2 palm-sized portions of protein, the length, width, and depth of your palm, or if eggs are your only protein source, as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand, which is probably 3-4 for most people
  • 1-2 thumb-sized portions of fat, or 1-2 heaping handfuls of olives or coconut flakes, or 1/2 to a whole avocado, or a small handful of nuts
  • 1-3 cups of vegetables. You might need even more if you're having raw leafy greens like a salad, they often shrink down to nothing as you eat, so either be sure your salads are huge, or be sure you have plenty of other, more dense vegetables with it
  • occasionally have some fruit. A serving is the size of a closed fist, try to limit it to not more than two a day. You never have to have fruit if you don't want it.

Additionally, most people feel best if they have at least one fist-sized serving of starchy vegetable (sweet potato; potato; winter squashes like butternut, acorn, or spaghetti squash; root vegetables like carrots, parsnips, beets, turnips, rutabagas) each day. People who are very active, who are prone to depression or anxiety, or women who are nursing, pregnant, or are in the week or so leading up to their period often find they need more than that.

What kinds of foods have you been eating? Trying new recipes can be a pain, but there are some excellent ones out there that even non-W30 people would like, and they can really add some excitement to your meals. Mel Joulwan has a ton of W30 compliant recipes on her site (if your kids aren't into spicy, you may need to tone some of them down, she sometimes goes a little heavy on the pepper flakes -- I typically leave them out because I'm a wimp with the spicy stuff myself, and the recipes are still great). Nom Nom Paleo is another great site for recipes, although not all of hers are W30, so definitely double check them. Whole Life Eating is another good one, and everything there is W30 -- it's put together by one of the other moderators here on the forum.

When I feel like quitting anything I think about why I started in the first place.  So why did you start doing a Whole 30? If it's just to lose a few pounds, I doubt that is enough of a reason to continue if you're feeling bad, but if it's for other reasons then it might help to list them out and focus on that when you have moments of doubt or wanting to quit.  

I do this in business and have applied this to my Whole 30. I have attended 2 parties in my 10 days where the non-compliant food/expensive wine looked amazing and before going I looked at the list I created as to why I am doing this. I can always eat (insert food/drink) some other time just not right now.

Good luck to you and whatever you decide I'm sure it will be the right decision for you.

I KNOW that I cannot maintain this after the 30 days (or 9, as the case may be)....

Besides the fabulous advice that Shannon and Dee gave you, realize you're right around the most popular days that folks want to quit a Whole30, so you're on the mark:) 

Also, a gentle reminder that it's Whole30, not Whole365.  I advise you to not worry about life post-Whole30 at the moment, and instead shift your mindset to focus on one day at a time (buoyed by all the reasons you chose to take on a Whole30).  Consider joining a group thread of other folks who started a Whole30 around the same time as you for added support.  Here is one possible thread.

Then see how you feel on day 31.  Be open to having a completely different perspective at that point: you'll likely be in a more clear place to decide whether to do a slow roll reintroduction or follow a more structured path

I was exactly as you describe during my first W30 back in October 2015. I could look at a person and want to slap them as soon as they opened their mouth. That is how irritable I was. Turns out for me, a big reason fr this past the "carb flu" phase was that I was simply not eating enough and not following the meal templates cause I thought: "I got this" and I know better what works for me. This time around I vowed to learn the lessons, follow the templates and eat some food already.

I got through the first one and if I can you can!!!!

I am currently on day 10 so I am right there with you sending you all kinds of mental support. 

I am making Well Fed's Paleo Pad Thai tonight. Well Fed and Nom Nom Paleo's recipes are helping tremendously to stave off the food boredom and distract from what I cannot have.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really glad I read this thread. I know we're ALL going to feel this way at one time or another during this 30 days. I was actually glad to see that the angst your feeling, isn't from being hungry...but from habits we carried on this adventure. Sitting down on a Friday night to have a glass of wine, a Saturday afternoon ice cream cone & movie popcorn & soda, are things we did. For only a few weeks are we giving that up. To see how food affects our bodies, our spirit and our lives.

I am so glad you posted this! I'm on Day 5 and am soooo crabby! I can't face the grocery store or my kitchen right now and I'd like to hibernate for the next 25 days. I'm sure this is normal, but I'm determined to push through. I have to keep remembering that it's NOT for 354 days, only 30. It's becoming my mantra. Venting over.     :)

• Moderators

I am so glad you posted this! I'm on Day 5 and am soooo crabby! I can't face the grocery store or my kitchen right now and I'd like to hibernate for the next 25 days. I'm sure this is normal, but I'm determined to push through. I have to keep remembering that it's NOT for 354 days, only 30. It's becoming my mantra. Venting over. :)

Day 5 is known as a "kill all the things" day, so you're right on target. It'll pass in a day or two, just hang in there.

I'm feeling better today! We played cards last night with friends and they brought over wine, cheese and chips. I thought I would have a rough time based on how crabby I was...but I didn't. I had to stop myself a couple of times from mindlessly reaching over to grab a chip, but I realized that I didn't really want it and I was just reaching for it because it was there. Lesson learned! And apparently my card playing is better without alcohol...very interesting!

• 1 year later...

I'm on Day 9 and want to quit . . . and maybe cry a little.  Why does it feel like chocolate has a hold on me (is that the right phrase)?  

Looking at my NSV, I do still want to clear my skin up and eliminate the red flushing.  I just keep thinking about chocolate . . . Sad face.

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, RabbitFood said:

I'm on Day 9 and want to quit . . . and maybe cry a little.  Why does it feel like chocolate has a hold on me (is that the right phrase)?  

Looking at my NSV, I do still want to clear my skin up and eliminate the red flushing.  I just keep thinking about chocolate . . . Sad face.

Eat more fat at your meals... 

let us know what you've been eating... we can try and tweak your meals so that you're so satisfied, chocolate doesn't even enter your mind

5 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Eat more fat at your meals... 

let us know what you've been eating... we can try and tweak your meals so that you're so satisfied, chocolate doesn't even enter your mind

Thank you :)

I've been eating 2-3 servings of fat and am actually totally satisfied, food wise.  Just stressed.  Usually that equals chocolate.  I'm holding out since I planned a spa treatment for day 10.  I can't quit on day 9 and have a day 10 reward, right?  #tamethesugardragon

Archived