Twice as nice....Whole30 #2 starting January 11th.

arlamore

Hey everyone!  I completed my first whole30 in mid-September (I actually did 45 days...I just felt that good and was in no hurry).  But then, I began to travel (a lot) and in Asia, it's hard for me to maintain the lifestyle when I'm not preparing my own food, so I went through (most) of my reintro..though the last few days were a bit random and not really handled well.  So, I know I feel better living whole30, but not entirely certain how specific foods are affecting me so I can adjust to life after whole30.  

I intended to do round two in October, after traveling slowed down a bit, but only made it 5 days  :wacko: .  The stress of life and poor planning made me vulnerable and I caved into the cravings (ironically, I convinced a friend to do it as well, and she was much more successful)...so I told myself "I don't need to do another whole30, I can do a whole7, or whole10, or whatever I want.  After all, this isn't meant to be long-term, I'll just eat "mostly" whole30, and I'll be good"...and I think that's true, except I didn't really mean that or live that.  It was just an excuse to not deal with my issues right away...so the stress continued and travel increased and I found myself indulging frequently (really, almost constantly!) right up until it was Christmas break and I was flying back to the States...where I lived the traditionally indulgent holiday life with an extra dose of special favorite foods I can only have when I'm Stateside (Chick-Fil-A & Mexican!)

Now, I'm back home and need to get back on top of things.  I'm nervous to declare it...but I also know that I need to say this out loud & make the commitment to really help put me on the right path.  I'm not looking for failure again.  I know I can do this, I know I feel great when I do this...so, it's time to just make it happen.

I have a few food goals this time:

1) Be aware of my protein intake...I didn't really measure anything (and I know I'm not supposed to), but I think I over-indulged on protein when I should have eaten even more veg.  I want to be aware of what a serving is considered and follow that more closely. 

2) Use less bacon.  Just because I found Whole30 compliant bacon does not mean I need to eat it at nearly every meal.  :wub:

3) Eat less steak.  It was such an easy go-to meal for me....and ALWAYS tasted great.  After a busy day at work, with no plan, I found myself grabbing steak and roasting some veg for a quick and easy meal...now, I want to expand my go-to meals and not be quite so reliant on red & processed meat to find something palatable and crave-worthy.

4) Roast less veggies...I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE roasted veggies...and I'm still going to enjoy them  :P But, there has to be more to do to them than just roasting them all the time.  I want to not just survive my 2nd whole30, I'd like to thrive, which means I need to expand my cooking repertoire. 

You sound almost entirely like me! Well, except for the whole traveling thing. I'm retired for 6 years and living in the sticks. My problem? Sticking to things even when I know they are the best thing for me. This will be my second Whole30. I finished my first about a year and a half ago and lost some weight and inches and then went running back to all the crap I had put in my body before, which got me to worse off than before! Duh! Good to meet you!

I feel the same...but this time, I kept thinking and wondering about why I was letting myself feel so crummy.  I felt tired and lethargic.  I've had major sinus and allergy issues, more headaches, skin stuff, etc...nothing major, and very little that anyone would notice.  But I notice, and that's made the difference.  I actually remember what it was like to not feel so drained or tired, I remember what it was like to feel full and not want to snack, I remember what it was like when I felt on top of things, and for once I really want to go back to it...so that's progress, right? :)

I'm really just a high school teacher..but because I live in SE Asia, I can easily travel between countries...Malaysia is a 20 minute drive, Indonesia a 45 minute ferry ride, and so many more via plane.  My friends talk about driving down to Atlanta for dinner and nobody thinks anything of it...for me, the same distance just involves crossing an international border.  I also travel home to Georgia twice a year and we take our students on an international service trip for a couple of weeks in March, so I average a lot of time in planes :wacko: It sounds a little more glamorous than it is, but it's definitely a great opportunity and I've really enjoyed all that I've had a chance to experience so far.  

Thanks for "dropping by", what day are you on?  Hope all is well and you're sticking to it! 

Your life sounds more glamorous than mine, that's for sure! We have to drive about 45 min. to the nearest Costco! Anyway, we do love it here and we love the green in the mountains of Washington state. 

I'm on Day 3 and just tried ghee in my coffee. Not bad, but it's kinda freaking me out about butter in my coffee and so I don't think I'll be doing that again, plus on retirement income, I need my $25 bottle of ghee to last. It won't last too long using it in my coffee. 

My 79 year old mom lives with me, plus our four small dogs. My mom is doing this Whole30 with me again, just like last time. We both have issues, me with acid reflux, locking finger joints, hands falling asleep (which sucks when your trying to learn guitar and when you are trying to draw) and a host of other issues. Mom has Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, has had a quadruple bypass and also has High Cholesterol. So, we both need it. We are definitely carb addicts and need to get away from it because they poison us. We get fatter and fatter and feel worse and more bloaty when we eat carbs, but we are like crack addicts with it. 

Well, gotta get to my Bible studies right now, but it's nice chatting with you. What day are you on? Is where you live a factor in food shopping and sticking to the guide lines? I think of lots of rice products over there.....

Hi there! I am Elena, from Barcelona. The travelling thing sounded familiar to me! Also taking a lot of planes for work. I am actually in my first Whole30, day 16 precisely. And so far so good! Haven t gone to the scale yet but I can already feel a difference. I am also quite amazed by the fact that my cravings are much more under control. My big challenges before were the evenings, I got home stressed and starving. These 16 days it has been so much smoother. I guess I need to finish first the first round, but I don t see doing this to see the difference and then simply go back to former life? Will I be able to resist? Let s see! When I started I had 10 extra kg, so I have some reasons to stay...

Good luck both with your journeys!,

Hi Elena from Barcelona! I feel like a jet setter now!!  :lol: I'm really hoping that I stick with it or close to it after the 30 days is over. I ran, fast, back to my old habits when I finished last time. I guess my mindset wasn't good. Actually Mom and I are planning on at least a Whole45 and preferably a 60 or 90. I don't know...after the sugar cravings today, I might not even make it to 45! I just feel like we have so many issues and we sort of "feed off" each other and cave in to each other too much. It might take 90 days to really get us on the right track. I know there are mixed reviews on that strategy, but we'll see. Lots of medical issues, especially with my Mom and the book does say that with all those medical issues it might well take longer than 30 days. I'm hoping for some significant weight loss too, I'm not gonna lie, but I have some health issues myself and I'd love to get them under control.
Sounds like you're doing well, so keep up the good work! I remember my first one and it did get better. My big thing was I had to try hard not to go to the grocery store if I was in the slightest bit hungry. It's best for us to have full stomachs before venturing out and God forbid we go out (we basically live 45 min. from civilization) without a plan or a lunch with us. Too easy to slip up. Good luck to you and it's very nice to meet you!

Hi, I'm Andrea.  I did my first whole 30 from Nov 15-Dec 15 2015.  I am back to create long term habits, continue to lower my cholesterol, and lose some more weight.  

Tj V - I also ran back to my old habits pretty quickly which surprised me since I felt so good.  I expect to be doing this well past 90 days.  So my short term goal is to just through the first 15 days and then settle into this as a lifestyle.  

I am looking forward to being on the journey with you all.

I'm with you Andrea. I actually made a commitment in another post, last night, to do a Whole90. I know it's not an "official" thing, but I've been skirting the idea and so thought I'd dive in. Weird thing is, once I made the commitment, I felt a sort of peace about it. It was almost like I was relieved or something. So my Whole 90 end date will be April 7! 
Welcome to the journey! Good to meet ya!

Hey everyone...the stress of life coupled with Day 3 dregs....ugh.  My job is really overwhelming sometimes, and right now it's reaching it's climax.  I'd kind of been lulled by the three week holiday into forgetting just what has to be done this semester.  So, now, I'm freaking out a bit and worried about the extra time and energy I need to continue cooking (I didn't do much prep to begin this round).  I'm still committed, but I know how easy it is to veer off course (My attempt in October only made it to day 6  -_- ).  I'm trying to just focus on one thing at a time and not let myself get too caught up in it (I'm pretty good at handling stress and getting things done...it just takes a toll on me emotionally, mentally, & physically).  Ugh.  Thanks for listening to that little crisis moment.  I will get through this, I have food for today and a few things in process for dinner tonight.  So, I'll cook up the meatballs and make another breakfast frittata, and do something with some veg...that should get me to Friday.  This weekend, I'll try to get more prep work done to help alleviate the stress during the week...I can just be a picky eater sometimes and struggle to choke something done if I"m not craving or liking it.  I'm such a drama queen right now  :blink:

I'm so glad to hear of others that are working on developing long term habits.  I did the same thing my first time...felt great, adapted to the lifestyle, but then let stress, life, and circumstances push me right back into bad habits.  It's like I have no idea what moderation is.  I'm either extremely strict and whole30 or I'm a ravenous glutton that eats anything in sight.  Neither is a good long term option...so i want to really work on creating those long term habits and making some "rules" that I want to live by for life after whole30.  The whole90 is appealing, but I'd never be able to pull it off with my travel schedule and work commitments...you can't exactly be picky about what you're eating when you're on mission in a third world country.  So, I have a definite end date in mind where I need to complete re-entry by March 8th...so I may extend my whole30 to a whole45 again or something, honestly, I should look at a calendar and figure it out.

Thanks for sharing your stories and encouragement!

Archived