Sugar Dragon Got a Hold of Me and Drug Me Down

Yes, after the holidays I know many people are posting about this, but I need to post my story so I can also just be accountable to what happened.  After my last Whole30 in April, I was killing it with my eating and doing awesome!  Sweets didn't even interest me one bit, and I was able to do a slow reintroduction and learned that I just don't care for dairy any more and gluten or beans.  Then, in August, I decided to just have "a bite" of a dessert we shared at a restaurant.  I thought I did great, only having one bite!   Since I still log my food every day, I noticed that "one bite" then started to happen every week....then every other day...then every day....then it was "1/2"....well, you know how the story goes.  I found myself in pints of ice cream and endless cookies and cake.

I went out on a full-blown sugar eating binge for 3 months straight.  Once I had that one taste of it, those dopamine and pleasure pathways lite up like fireworks!!   And it had me....again.   Sugar took me down, yet again.   I couldn't get enough of it.  I was looking for it around every corner.

I'm sure it sounds extreme and not obtainable, but what I learned, is that I cannot just do "one bite" of sugar.  I can't.  I'm not the kind of person that can enjoy it just on special occasions or every once in awhile.  So, I know I'm shooting for a real high goal, but I want to QUIT sugar once and for all!  I'm so tired of it getting me in this spiral and bringing me down with it.  It's like a drug for me, and I know, I know it's not healthy for me one bit.  I've set my mind to this and I'm determined!  

I don't know if anyone out there has every had success quitting sugar, but if you have, let me know!  I am prepared and ready to go to battle with it in 2015!   I start my next Whole30 tomorrow....and I'm actually doing a Whole90 to STARVE the sugar out of my body.   If anyone has success stories, please share.  If not, wish me luck!   I'm going for it and this time, it's not because of a diet, I'm doing it because it's what's best for ME and my health.   I'm doing this!   

YOU CAN DO THIS! :D

Slaying the sugar dragon takes longer for some than others.

If you find it's not just an addiction feeling but you feel physically very different eating sugar you may want to have a chat with your doctor about blood sugar.

I was pre-diabetic (T2) before my first Whole30 and am now down to the "normal" range.

Some doctors ignore pre-diabetics, but you know, that's actually where T2 diabetics come from.

I've found now that I'm "normal" and my blood sugar is so much more stable, I don't have the reaction to it I used to.

It feels a bit like wet pottery on a pottery wheel. Too much at the wrong time when it's already unstable and it all falls over.

I can still overdo it now, but I find that spiraling feeling has gone away.

I am more sensitive to fructose than glucose, so I keep that in mind with my food choices.

I found the template most helpful and eating within an hour of waking, as well as getting a good night's sleep.

Hey, whole30determined!  Some of us have had the same realization that we also cannot do "one bite" of sugar (in ANY form - honey, agave, maple syrup, cane syrup, coconut sap - you name it!).  We're working together to slay the sugar dragon and provide accountability and support.  Check us out: http://forum.whole30.com/topic/32780-sugar-dragon-slayers/

Archived