Hello food hangover

jennrider

I finished my Whole 30 on Tuesday. Despite dreams about junk food, I did not go crazy on Wednesday. I had 1/2 a teaspoon of honey and had an instant headache. Got that message. I did take a break from the kitchen all day. I was tied to it for 30 days and needed a break. It was a little scary eating out after all this time. Went to a barbque place and got salad with sliced beef. Was a little horrified that they put so much cheese on it. I managed to pick most of it off. I'm pretty sure I have dairy intolerance. Ate to plan the rest of the week. Had an annual exam. Doc was happy with my overall health. He ran some kind of scan on my hand that tells him my antioxident level. I was in a good range. Must be all these veggies.

This week was one of the most stressful I can remember. I have four kids. The amount of schoolwork they have is crazy. I spend at least two hours every night helping them with something. This is new for me. I like for them to come home, have a snack and get their homework done. One is learning to read, one is learning to add doubles, one is learning times tables and one is just not doing his work. I'm in flashcard hell around here. My oldest son made some poor choices about not doing homework and leaving a project at home. He's adjusting to the consequences in middle school, but it's stressing us both out. I'm wondering if I usually have this much stress, but cover it with food/drink. Researching crock pot meals because homework time is running into dinner time.

Enter Friday night. I have been cleaning out my entire house this past month. Went to IKEA to buy new stuff my girls' room. Planned ahead and had lunch with me. It wasn't enough, but it took the edge off. Had planned on asking the hubs to take kids out to eat so I could continue working on getting junk out of my house. His work schedule has gone from normal I can help out with after school activities to I'm not going to be home until after bedtime and I can help, but then I'll have to go back in hours. He picked the kiddos up from school Friday (hasn't been able to that yet and it's a treat for them). Was home about 30 minutes and then had to go back to the office. He was there until 10. He will be working all weekend. Add this to my stress. We order pizza on Friday nights because I'm tired of all the cooking. I have managed to avoing the pizza, but decided to try it on gluten free crust with light cheese.

Here's what happened:

10 minutes in (after 2 small slices): I was so stuffed feeling I didn't want to move.

30 minutes: Can you say bloated?

Took some digestive enzymes because my stomach was making all kinds of unpleasant noises.

60 minutes: I need a nap. NOW.

The whole thing was aweful! I sat down and tried to figure out what it is I love about pizza (not much now). I love the garlic, basil, veggies. Pretty sure I can get this without all the fuss. These musings would have been helpful before eating the pizza.

I went to bed around 12. I haven't seen 12 in weeks. My favorite part of Whole 30 has been the better sleep. It takes me a lot longer to finish a book, but it's a small price to pay. Woke up this morning with a stuffy nose, headache and stomach ache. I feel like I have a hangover. If I'm going to feel like this, I should have a least had a good time and embarrased myself a little.

The big question: Will I learn this lesson and continue eating what works for my body or will I turn to the dark side that is crappy eating?

Time will tell.

I feel like I have a hangover. If I'm going to feel like this, I should have a least had a good time and embarrased myself a little.

The big question: Will I learn this lesson and continue eating what works for my body or will I turn to the dark side that is crappy eating?

Time will tell.

:) Right there with you. While we have certainly not maintained a "clean" diet since completing our whole30 at the end of July, we've been pretty close. And the ill effects from off-road foods is staggering. The thing I like best about eating clean is that when you eat dirty, it's right there, in your face, obvious. Makes it SO much easier to get back on track. I don't think I will ever go back to the dark side and will keep eating the foods that work for my body more often than not. Yes, Darth Vader will rear his ugly head occasionally, but hopefully, I will be strong enough to a) enjoy it, B) not feel TOO crappy afterwards and c) kick him to the curb with my whole30 light saber again! :ph34r:

Good luck!

I feel your pain Jennrider, sometimes I think I will never learn but i do think I am getting there. My personal goals are becoming more and more important. Hopefully the lessons will be a little less frequent over time.

Archived