Not Pooping...

So my post is about poop and TMI. Sorry in advance! For reference, I am on round one, day 7. 

The thing is, I haven't really pooped in almost 4 days now and I am concerned. Before that it has been two days and I was constipated

I've been following the template (example meals: Steak, homemade salsa, carrots, roasted avocado or Curry chicken  (made with coconut cream) with half my 1/3 in root vegetables and the other half leafy greens, an omelet with spinach and tomatoes and roasted avocado etc). 

I've always been irregular, but usually spanning towards the opposite side of going too much. I have IBS so that is a huge motivating factor in doing the whole 30. 

I know water is an issue for me. I need to drink more (right now I am only averaging out at about 24-38 ounces a day t...working to get it up!

Any thoughts or advice? ^_^

• Moderators

Yikes!

Okay well I have a few thoughts, but wondering if you can post portion sizes and the actual meal make up for the last couple days? It's hard to tell what and how much you're actually eating.

First, it doesn't look like you're eating a lot of green veg (that aren't salad greens). Leafy greens are almost nothing when they're chewed down, so even if it doesn't impact your bathrooming habits, you should be eating heartier non starchy veg.

Second, your water consumption is good for a person weighing between 48 and 76 pounds... if that's you, then a-ok. The water recommendation is 1/2 oz per pound of body weight, every day (and throughout the day, don't backload the water at night just to get it in).

I know that if I'm not eating enough, I don't poop because there's nothing to poop... which is why I ask you to put a somewhat detailed account of what you've been eating so we can see what's going on.

Also, two questions, what does 'half my 1/3' mean and do you really roast avocado? That sounds intriguing!

The day before:

2 eggs, about 8 pieces of cucumber, 2 tbs of sauteed green peppers, red peppers and yellow peppers, 1/3 avocado. 

Curry Chicken (about 6 oz piece) with sauce, 3 tbs sweet potato soup with coconut cream, handful of spinach and a few cucumbers. 

Chicken (about 6 oz piece) with spaghetti squash (about 4 tbs) and homemade tomato sauce (3 tbs), about 10 cashews and 1 ts of coconut flakes. 

Yesterday

2 boiled eggs, handful of spinach, about 5 small pieces of cucumber, 1/4 cup of sauteed green peppers, red peppers and yellow peppers. 

Chicken (about 6 oz)  with curry sauce (from the book), 1 tbs of sweet potato soup (it didn't thin out like soup so I was eating it like mashed potatoes) (from the book, with coconut cream), 3 small slices of cucumber, 3 tbs spaghetti squash with sauce and a handful of spinach no dressing with 1 tbs of coconut flakes.  

Steak (approx 6 oz) with garlic and shallot puree, 1/2 avocado, banana, 2 tablespoons whole 30 Salsa with about 10 baby carrots. 

Today was not so good. I missed a meal and struggled to eat. 

3 Egg Omelet with Spinach(handful) and peppers (handful) and roasted avocado (1/2 medium sized). Coconut oil to cook the eggs. 

I plain turkey burger, one handful spinach with tessmae lemonette dressing, one tbs homemade salsa, two tbs of roasted butternut squash. 

My meals have been looking pretty consistent with this. I made the mistake of a banana yesterday. I had been having cashews the first few days, but limiting them as I know they can cause this. 

I will try to add green beans, broccoli, celery, and zucchini this week and obviously more water! 

Thank you!!

• Moderators

Have you seen the template? Why are you only eating 1-3tbs of soup?

I'm not sure what 6oz is in relation to your palm size... but more concerning than that is that you're barely eating anything! Everything you listed aside from the meat is what I"d eat in a single meal.

A handful of spinach is nothing when it's cooked or chewed down. A whole pound bag of spinach is only about 1.5 cups when cooked down, so a few leaves is barely anything.

I'm still confused by the reference to 1/3 but it could just be me. Either way, the template, which is linked in my signature below, describes each meal as containing the following:

1-2 palms of protein (the size of your own palm's width, length and thickness)

1-3 CUPS of vegetables (1 being absolute minimum and 3 being optimal)

1-2 Thumbs of fat (OR 1/2 to whole avocado OR 1-2 heaping handfuls of olives OR a closed fistful of nuts/seeds)

I would say the lack of pooping is probably from eating too little and not enough fibre to keep things moving down the track; along with the aforementioned water consumption.

Archived