Gritty teeth or tongue???

Day 7 of 3rd W30, I have a weird gritty feeling on my teeth. I just went back to my notes from my previous W30s and found I had the same issue around the same time on all of them.

I brush my teeth and everything still feels gritty.

Anyone else have this? Any idea what it could be?

It's not a big deal if I don't find out, but I was just wondering if anyone else had run across this before.

If you're eating spinach, this can be caused by oxalic acid (it's not bad for your teeth but can feel funny).

Some people notice it more with cooked spinach, but raw spinach is often baby which has lower amounts of oxalic acid naturally.

The feeling is caused by the oxalic acid in the spinach coming into contact with the calcium in your saliva, forming crystals of calcium oxalate (the rough/grit feeling). 

Cooking reduces the levels of the acid in the spinach and chefs usually add lemon (but this may be due to vitamin c enhancing iron absorption).

• Administrators

If you're eating spinach, this can be caused by oxalic acid (it's not bad for your teeth but can feel funny).

Some people notice it more with cooked spinach, but raw spinach is often baby which has lower amounts of oxalic acid naturally.

The feeling is caused by the oxalic acid in the spinach coming into contact with the calcium in your saliva, forming crystals of calcium oxalate (the rough/grit feeling). 

Cooking reduces the levels of the acid in the spinach and chefs usually add lemon (but this may be due to vitamin c enhancing iron absorption).

I never knew this!  I've always just known that spinach makes my teeth feel weird!  Cool info, thanks!

Meal day before the grit -
Breakfast - shrimp fritters (carrots, sweet potato), slice of sweet potato crusted quiche, seltzer
Lunch – pork loin with cauliflower spinach mash topped with Guacamole, seltzer
Dinner – 1.5 cups Broccoli with Shrimp Fritters Seltzer

May W30 meal before the grit -
Breakfast 7:30 - Chicken thighs seasoned with mushroom powder with Hash (cabbage, chard, potato, onion, carrot). Seltzer.
Lunch 12:30 - Halibut cheeks seasoned with lemon juice on top of chard, onions and carrots seasoned with Balsamic. Freeze dried apples.
Dinner – egg scramble with Aidells sausage, green beans and mushrooms

September W30 before that -

Breakfast- 1/2 an avocado with Egg and kale scramble.
Lunch- Lamb fig stew and an artichoke.
Dinner- 1/2 serving chicken butternut hash and mango beet salad.

It was only this time around that I actually had spinach. Would chard or kale have the same affect that spinach would?
I'm going to have to test the spinach theory. Last night I had a large serving of spinach and I feel the grit today, so I'm going to not have any for a couple days and see if it goes away.

Thanks for the info.

• Administrators

I've been having terrible breath along with the nasty thick spit & a gritty feeling too.  I'm on day 8.  This seems to relate so I'm following this thread as well. 

How's your water intake?  We recommend half an ounce per pound of bodyweight (160# person = 80 oz water).  Bad breath can be a sign of having gone too low carb.

Can you post a couple days of typical intake and we can take a look? Please include portion sizes.

I'm pretty sure it works with a bunch of greens, but some have higher levels than others (your local supply may be higher naturally, you could try something out of area such as frozen).

Younger plants have less and cooking reduces it.

You can also check with your dentist if it's really bugging you, in case your mouth has something going on which is making it feel stronger.

How's your water intake?  We recommend half an ounce per pound of bodyweight (160# person = 80 oz water).  Bad breath can be a sign of having gone too low carb.

Can you post a couple days of typical intake and we can take a look? Please include portion sizes.

I drink plenty of water.   But I have been eating very low to no starch.  I read in, "It Starts With Food," that our bodies can use anything as carbs.  So why would I be getting too low on carbs/starches?  And how or why would that cause it?  At least I know why, now.  That definitely explains it!

On Sunday

Breakfast: bacon & duck egg/banana mixed to make bread. 

lunch: Mexican tuna/salmon boats on celery & cucumber

dinner: Ratatouille and Coconut Curry Chicken

Monday:

Breakfast: Pork & spinach/kale sausage

Lunch: Salmon protein salad (made with avocados & lemon juice, kale, spinach, swiss chard, and lots of veggies.)

Dinner: Pork Chops, Cold Thai Salad, and a little leftover Ratatouille

Tuesday:

Breakfast: leftover pork & spinach/kale sausages

Lunch: salmon protein salad (same as yesterday.)

Snacks: pistachios, a couple slices of apple, and cashews.

The nuts could also be doing it.  They tend to make my teeth feel really gritty too despite the fact that they're supposed to be a 'natural cleanser' for your teeth.  Ironically, my teeth have had much more buildup of tartar since I embarked on the Whole30 diet.  The times when I'm 'off-roading' (i.e. the last time I was pregnant and couldn't stomach meat and ate my fair share of plain yogurt and a few other things sprinkled in), my teeth were much cleaner.  I'm not sure why because it should be the opposite (carbs tend to build up plaque and while Whole30 is not a 'low carb diet, it does tend to be lower carb than a traditional SAD diet.

My hygienist noticed a huge change in the cleaning I had right after I was on Whole30.  She couldn't believe how much tartar was on my teeth. However, my gums are still healthy, so I just figure it's a side effect of Whole30 that isn't too bad and the other benefits outweigh it.

Oh, and I'm a dentist, so I've tried researching other ideas on why nuts would cause the buildup, but I can only find evidence AGAINST them causing buildup, go figure.

• Moderators

I drink plenty of water.   But I have been eating very low to no starch.  I read in, "It Starts With Food," that our bodies can use anything as carbs.  So why would I be getting too low on carbs/starches?  And how or why would that cause it?  At least I know why, now.  That definitely explains it!

On Sunday

Monday:

Lunch: Salmon protein salad (made with avocados & lemon juice, kale, spinach, swiss chard, and lots of veggies.)

Tuesday:

To be clear, the Whole30 is not a low carb diet. Most people find they do better with a serving a carb-dense veggies at least once meal a day. We've had many reports of lethargy and even depression in those doing a very low carb version. Please pay close attention to how you feel and add in some carbohydrate if needed, or simply from time to time to see how it affects you.

• 1 month later...

relieved to read this. I thought I was going crazy- my teeth are so gritty! It's weird. 

This really flares up for me when I try to drink green tea, also.

Green tea + spinach in the same day = build-up on my teeth that I normally do NOT have.  It is crazy.

http://www.uwhealth.org/urology/oxalate/11252

"The foods known to cause a high urinary excretion of oxalate are:

• Spinach, rhubarb, beets (both the root and the greens), nuts and nut butters, chocolate and cocoa, green and black tea, wheat bran (in high amounts), soybeans and foods made from soy, and strawberries.
  • Other foods commonly held to contain high oxalate, such as cola beverages and coffee, do not actually contain much oxalate. Stone formers may consume these beverages in moderation as part of an overall healthy diet."

On Sunday

Monday:

Tuesday:

We are not allowed to make bread out of compliant ingredients nor pancakes or muffins.

• 1 year later...

interesting, I have noticed my breath is not fresh (i.e. kind of  nasty) even after brushing and swishing with peroxide. I literally can tell it is coming from my gut and not just my mouth.  I had to try Listerine - I don't know if that is compliant though. 

Yes, I have noted this.  My theory is that it is a change in pH in my mouth -- to a much more alkaline.  Not sure why that seems to promote what feels like a quicker build-up of tartar.  

One thing I have noted is that since being on my Whole 30 -- I no longer have bleeding or sore gums which would occur regularly every 1.5 to 2 weeks.  Both my dentist and hygienist were baffled as to the cause as my gums are pretty healthy and don't really look inflamed.  A couple of years ago, my dentist suggested that it might be a food allergy of some sort.  Will be interesting to figure out the cause -- as I reintroduce foods.

Archived