1-12-2016 Start Date

dfox

• Administrators

Hi Mitso, welcome to the discussion. The cravings get weird. Last time I did this I was craving marshmallows - something I normally detest. Try coconut milk from the can, the thick stuff, in your tea. It serves as a creamer as well as a hit of sugar, and it is fully W30 compliant. I am also active: I just started doing a body-flex class tues/thurs and I run Mon, Wed, Fri, & Sat. I am also really busy, so I now get up at 5:00 am for my exercise classes and running. I've learned that I just can't be consistent when I do it after work. There's always an interruption. As far as W30 and exercise, as your body adapts to using fat for energy you will likely notice your energy feeling sapped. Just push through. It get's better, but not overnight. I went for a run this morning and my legs felt like lead - felt like I was running up hill the whole time. Although I officially started yesterday, I, too, was off sugar over the weekend. So I think it's the lack of sugar that affects the lack of energy. I eat dates, apples, sweet potatoes, etc, but they aren't the same as refined sugar for quick release energy.

Again, we really don't recommend using coconut milk in this manner. Putting in your tea yes.  Making tea and putting coconut milk just because you're craving sugar/sweets, no.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tahini is ground sesame seeds. I can't remember if we can have those?

Seems to be good, got this from Whole30 101:

Tahini: Yes

Tahini is a paste made from sesame seeds. Sesame seeds are compliant with the Whole30 program, so  tahini paste is too, if all the other ingredients in the paste are compliant.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.UhHH8gaT.dpuf

This marks the first day I feel pretty much normal. I awoke more easily that normal, and although I've only been getting about 6-7 hours sleep, I feel well rested. I normally need at least 8. I know it wont stay this way, but it's nice to feel good for a bit. During my last W30 I ate a lot of dates, bananas, and dried fruit to deal with sugar cravings. This time not so much. I ate an apple yesterday and the day before, and that's been it for sugars. I'm not craving sugar yet, and I'm putting effort into avoiding cravings when they come.

I hope everyone is having a good experience so far. It's so worth it to stay the course!

Thanks, Mitso. By the way, I am also a sugar addict, recovering. I accepted this, and almost cut out all sugars and white flours, a couple of months ago, thanks to a book called "The Food Fix" by Dr. Pamela Peeke. I know this is helping me survive the Whole 30 so much easier! I was able to focus better at work yesterday,nand feel pretty good today! I gained a big boost in energy the past couple of months with my drop in sugar intake. Thanks for sharing what you are eating. My biggest challenge has been figuring out what to eat. I also have to feed my three kids--including 2 large teenage boys!

Good to hear about the tomato sauce recipe because I LOVE spaghetti and have been thinking about trying that.  I already picked up the spaghetti squash so I am set.  Last night I blew it as I prepared some frozen peas and carrots with dinner...didn't realize at the time that peas are a no-no...oh well!  Live and learn I guess!

How is everyone doing/feeling? I feel better than I remember feeling my first time around. Actually, I feel great. I hope it lasts. I will be traveling up to Portland tonight to perform a concert at a bar and I'm a little concerned about how to eat. I was thinking of taking a meaty salad, and maybe some cold chicken to take care of my cravings.

Good luck to everyone - share your experiences, challenges, and successes. Are there any changes - positive or negative - you are experiencing?

@dfox, glad to hear you're feeling great!  I am surprised at how good I've felt so far on this journey!  It's my first whole30 so I really expected it to be much more challenging, but so far I'm on day 6 and I haven't had any meltdowns nor wanted to kill anything.  Woohoo!  I'm definitely realizing that I need to focus on the sugar issue with fruit.  I've been sticking to the "no more than 2 servings of fruit a day," and have been eating mainly berries and apples when I do have fruit.  However, yesterday I had a banana, and got so jittery because it felt like such a sugar rush.  I couldn't believe that after just 5 days of eating minimal sugar it had such a big effect on my body!  I didn't like the feeling at all, and felt like my energy crashed an hour after eating the banana.  I will be avoiding bananas for the remainder of the whole30, and focusing on very low glycemic fruits when I do decide to enjoy fruit.  It's amazing the things I'm learning!

Jolong, are you going to start back on day 1? Peas seem so innocent, right? I was cooking for my kids when I picked up a piece of pasta and was bringing it to my lips when I realized, "Wait, I can't eat that!" I also made some homemade bread for them, which smelled sooooo good, and it was challenging not to eat it. I also shredded fresh Parmesan cheese, which I love, and really wanted some!

I am keeping most of my worst temptation, sugar, out of the house. The kids don't like that. My son said he was going to leave a bar of chocolate out to tempt me daily! But, fortunately he hasn't done that!

"no more than 2 servings of fruit a day,"

Denise - this time around I've been taking it easy on sweets. Last time I ate a lot of dried dates with coconut flakes, so good. I also ate a lot of bananas - but I also discovered at that time that bananas put me in a coma crash, so now I only eat them at night when I need to crash; that's even rare. This time around I've been very minimal on fruit sugars and have so far limited myself to an apple a day. In fact, I think eliminating processed sugars (and high amounts of fruit sugar) help you sleep, and wake, better since you're body isn't on a carb roller coaster ride. This week it's been easier than normal to get up early for exercise (no time in eves). And my joints feel less fatigued after a run.

Will you be singing at the concert?

Instr - In the past I've had a burger with no bun or sauces, but tonight I plan to bring a meaty salad, and maybe a couple extra hard-boiled eggs. I already do not drink alcohol, so that's a benefit. And yes, I sing and play bass for a rock band. :)

Dfox, how did things go last night for you?

It went well. Thank you. I had a burger patty on lettuce at the venue. I never drink pop or anything like that, so my usual seltzer water with lime was a treat.

So far I am still feeling good. I hope everyone else is having a successful experience. While I think about how good I feel, I wonder how it is so easy to fall back into bad habits after completing the 30 days. The few minutes of pleasure that comes from eating cake equates to hours of not feeling 100%. My mind feels sharp, my joints feel better than normal despite my time running, and when I don't get enough sleep I don't seem to feel tired throughout the day. I'm pretty pleased with my first week.

My wife made a carrot, cauliflower, cardamom, soup yesterday which was really good. We also made a pork/potato/squash dish. Today I'm making a chipotle chicken dish in the crock pot for tomorrow's lunches and possibly dinner. For tonight we'll have t-bone steak with baked potatoes and green salad.

Share whatever you're getting from this experience - I enjoy learning from others.

I'm starting Day 6 and I feel great!  I made a fabulous roast chicken with veggies last night that my husband even enjoyed.  I had him carve all the meat off so I then put the carcass in the crockpot to make some bone broth.  The broth is so easy so that is something that I will continue after my 30 days. 

I am nervous for this upcoming weekend.  We are leaving town Thursday afternoon and won't be back until Sunday night.  Thursday night we are staying in a hotel and I plan to go to a restaurant where I am confident I can get a compliant dinner.  I think I will pack up a breakfast to have for Friday morning, The rest of the weekend we will be at my daughter's, and I think we will be having most of the meals at her apartment, which should be fine.  She knows I am doing this so has been working on being sure meals are compliant.  I thought I would bring enough snacks like carrots, almond butter, hard-boiled eggs, olives.  Any other recommendations? 

We might go to a movie one night while we are there, and I know it will be tough NOT eating popcorn!  yikes!

I know it will be tough NOT eating popcorn!

Popcorn is probably my one true addiction. Especially at movies (w/ brewers yeast; never that disgusting theater motor oil they call butter). I just remember that it's temporary. Your boiled egg idea is a good call for travel. If you don't mind cold chicken (I love it) you might cook some pieces to take along. Many restaurants have steak and potato options that comply, and you can sneak in your own compliant dressing for a green salad. Your weekend away might be easier than you think since W30 eating tends to leave you less tempted by between meal snacks. Good luck this weekend. You got this.

I did so well this weekend, I went to several stores and didn't buy any checkout line candy! I almost always but candy when I go through the check out, and I actually reached out for the gummy bears out of habit, but then I remembered and pulled away. It was tough, but I did it! But I'm probably going to stay away from all stores until these 30 days are over... just to remove the temptation! Haha!

Dfox:  Thanks for the suggestion of the cold chicken...Since I just roasted one on Sunday I should have plenty leftover to bring along on my trip.

I woke up pretty good this morning. But yesterday and the day before at about 2:15 in the afternoon I could have just curled up and went to sleep!  Falls right in line with the Whole 30 timeline. 

Yesterday after work I went for a run, it was the first decent run I had in a looooong time! I didn't feel weighed down like I have been feeling the last couple years and I felt great during and after! 5.20 miles at a 9:48 min/mi pace! Not my PR or anything but it feels great to be going further and speeding up my pace a bit!
[moderator edit to remove scale results as it is against the rules] I'm eating more now daily than I have in the past but I have more energy and can exercise more/longer. This is going great!

Other than missing my cup of tea with milk and sugar (couldn't find a good replacement for the milk so I gave up black tea all together), I haven't really craved sugar today or yesterday!

On a side note, I had a banana with breakfast this morning and for some reason it tasted exactly like cotton candy (I love cotton candy)!! I think my taste buds must be changing to notice the natural sweets more now that I'm not having any added sweetners. :-)

Archived