1-12-2016 Start Date

dfox

5.20 miles at a 9:48 min/mi pace! 

I had a banana with breakfast this morning and for some reason it tasted exactly like cotton candy

Nice pace. My pace isn't necessarily better, but my joints certainly don't feel as stressed as normal, probably due to less inflammation.

Interesting observation about the cotton candy. I notice that sweet potatoes smell like maple syrup while frying. Something I don't normally notice. It just shows that our bodies are programmed to sense what we need most. Our senses are so much keener to what nutrient values come from which sources when eating clean.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

Nice pace. My pace isn't necessarily better, but my joints certainly don't feel as stressed as normal, probably due to less inflammation.

Interesting observation about the cotton candy. I notice that sweet potatoes smell like maple syrup while frying. Something I don't normally notice. It just shows that our bodies are programmed to sense what we need most. Our senses are so much keener to what nutrient values come from which sources when eating clean.

You need maple syrup most?  LOL, just kidding.  I totally feel you.  I found myself picking the little crunchy, syrupy bits off the foil after baking some halved sweet potatoes face down and then stopped up short because that cannot be compliant!

Have we lost some of our group? Not much activity here. Yesterday was difficult for me - I was soooo tired and hungry at the end of my work day My meal was big, but missing something. I walked to a market and bought an apple to hold me. I was fantasizing about going home and taking a nap, or better yet just going to bed for the night at 6:00. When I got home I ate a quart of stew, but still felt hungry. I wanted to go to bed, but I had to run into town to help my daughter with something. While in town I went to a restaurant and got a dry (but delicious) burger patty over a salad with no dressing. That helped. Of course once I got to bed at nearly 10:00 I was so tired - but couldn't get to sleep easily. Today I'm a bit groggy still, but feeling a little better. I have to cook a 20 person seafood paella for an event tonight. That will be my second paella in seven days. I can't wait to be done so I can eat some. I'll be fine tonight.

Whenever I think about cravings I remind myself that my prohibition of sugary foods doesn't end at 30 days. It will be a part of my lifestyle after W30 so no point missing it. I want to start something here that I can maintain. What's the point of getting in shape and feeling good if it's just temporary. I also think about the fact that millions of people in the world have very little food, nor variety, and are suffering. I'm not suffering and I'm fortunate to have access to excellent food choices, so I can humble myself and recognize that in reality I'm not missing out on anything by remaining true to my commitment to eating clean.

I had a good day overall, I kept to the program. I was dragging this morning but felt better after breakfast and a hike. I had stashed an epic bar in the car for emergencies and it helped me stay on track when I got caught in town late for my son's game and missed dinner. I didn't hit the snack bar, yeah, the epic was enough to tide me over. Hope everyone else is doing well.

Have we lost some of our group? Not much activity here. Yesterday was difficult for me - I was soooo tired and hungry at the end of my work day My meal was big, but missing something. I walked to a market and bought an apple to hold me. I was fantasizing about going home and taking a nap, or better yet just going to bed for the night at 6:00. When I got home I ate a quart of stew, but still felt hungry. I wanted to go to bed, but I had to run into town to help my daughter with something. While in town I went to a restaurant and got a dry (but delicious) burger patty over a salad with no dressing. That helped. Of course once I got to bed at nearly 10:00 I was so tired - but couldn't get to sleep easily. Today I'm a bit groggy still, but feeling a little better. I have to cook a 20 person seafood paella for an event tonight. That will be my second paella in seven days. I can't wait to be done so I can eat some. I'll be fine tonight.

Whenever I think about cravings I remind myself that my prohibition of sugary foods doesn't end at 30 days. It will be a part of my lifestyle after W30 so no point missing it. I want to start something here that I can maintain. What's the point of getting in shape and feeling good if it's just temporary. I also think about the fact that millions of people in the world have very little food, nor variety, and are suffering. I'm not suffering and I'm fortunate to have access to excellent food choices, so I can humble myself and recognize that in reality I'm not missing out on anything by remaining true to my commitment to eating clean.

I love what you said about others in the world without variety and such.  Thank you for that perspective.

I've been very tired days 10-12 (today). I just feel flat and groggy. I made a hearty fisherman's stew today with potatoes, tomatoes, onions, winter squash, white fish, oysters, and clams. I thought that would be hearty enough, but I still felt like my body was missing something after dinner. I went for a run tonight hoping that would get me going. I feel alright now, but I felt weak during my run. I was going to keep it short, but ended up going for about an hour and twenty minutes. I felt low in energy, but I did not feel as fatigued as I normally would after eight + miles, so that was good. I hope to start feeling more energetic tomorrow. I did eat a second dinner after the run - a hamburger patty on lettuce. I'm feeling that maybe I'm low on protein. I'm sticking to it. Only 18 days to go.

I hope everyone is have positive experiences.

Well I made it through the weekend and woke up this morning with a welcome to Day 13!  I was so freaked out about not having enough "compliant" food over the weekend that we ended up with way more than enough!  We were able to have breakfasts and dinners at my daughters and went out for lunch while we were out and about.  I just kept salad dressing in my purse so I just ordered a burger patty with a side salad and I was good to go!  My daughter did make me promise that I would never do a Whole 30 over the holidays...I told her not to worry about that!  I am feeling pretty good and I am looking forward to my HIIT class tomorrow night to see if I notice a difference in my athletic performance.

I'm still tired. My first 9 days were great, but now I'm just perpetually tired and weak. I was sure to eat a lot of good good over the weekend, including some nuts I roasted on the stove. I also take a multi-vitamin, iron, D-3, and magnesium. This morning I ran 8 miles before work, and I felt fine running, but I was slower than normal. I had this problem last time I did W30. I just can't seem to get enough fuel or something. My cardio is fine, but muscles can't perform. What's also interesting is that while I'm running more than I had been in recent months, and eating cleaner, my pants still don't fit. It was in December that I had to loosen my belt one notch. That notch is happy where it is and shows no sign of tightening any time soon. Not sure why my body is resisting change, but I'll keep moving onward.

I ate well Sunday. The usual eggs and veggies for breakfast, Fisherman's stew (gonna stink up the workplace when I heat my lunch today), chicken with baked potato and green beans with garlic ghee for dinner. A couple of dates. I'm alive and well, just a little lethargic.

I'm still tired. My first 9 days were great, but now I'm just perpetually tired and weak. I was sure to eat a lot of good good over the weekend, including some nuts I roasted on the stove. I also take a multi-vitamin, iron, D-3, and magnesium. This morning I ran 8 miles before work, and I felt fine running, but I was slower than normal. I had this problem last time I did W30. I just can't seem to get enough fuel or something. My cardio is fine, but muscles can't perform. What's also interesting is that while I'm running more than I had been in recent months, and eating cleaner, my pants still don't fit. It was in December that I had to loosen my belt one notch. That notch is happy where it is and shows no sign of tightening any time soon. Not sure why my body is resisting change, but I'll keep moving onward.

I ate well Sunday. The usual eggs and veggies for breakfast, Fisherman's stew (gonna stink up the workplace when I heat my lunch today), chicken with baked potato and green beans with garlic ghee for dinner. A couple of dates. I'm alive and well, just a little lethargic.

I've had muscle weakness since about day 3-4.  My muscles hurt when I take the stairs or strain them but rebound quickly.  I've been researching about it and I may be magnesium deficient.  I ordered a magnesium supplement and will let you know if it works.

I've edited this to add, my waist is smaller and my legs are smaller, but my midsection doesn't seem to be shrinking so my pants feel the same.  I'm not giving up either.  I had GI issues prior to this which is part of the reason for my W30, so we'll see what happens.

I ordered a magnesium supplement . . .

I already take magnesium since I am active. I'm hoping my tiredness is either unrelated to W30, or that my progress is just different than normal. Last night I had no energy and basically just went to bed with a book much earlier than normal. I also slept longer than normal this morning. I'm just sluggish and mellow overall. I would go to the doctor, but that always (not just sometimes) ALWAYS results in hundreds of dollars to be told I'm in great shape. I'll give it 3 more days. If I don't get my energy back I'll have to give up. This started last Thursday (day 10). I have a huge appetite and I do not count calories or limit portions. I am also a good cook and use many organic vegetables and meats in my kitchen. I am not lacking in protein or vegetable nutrients.

I'm good at sticking to things, so I'll keep it up. for a few more days with the hope that things change soon.

Well I am on Day 14 and feeling pretty great.  I must say I am surprised that I still haven't really had any cravings.  Last night for dinner I made the pork chops and baked apples that was posted on the Well-Fed site and it was delicious.  I had to change up the pork chop recipe a bit because I didn't have walnuts, so I used almond flour instead...delicious!  Of course I didn't add the honey to the apples, but while I was eating those I told my husband that it almost felt like I shouldn't be eating the baked apples because they were DELICIOUS!  I brought some with me to work today to have with my lunch too. 

I could definitely tell over the last few days that my pants are much looser.  One of my co-workers even commented this to me this morning so I know something is working! 

losing interest in food, but still hanging in there. Had to force myself to eat breakfast this morning. Also had to force myself to eat lunch yesterday, and had a small dinner. Something's going on in my body. Food just doesn't sound good in general, but I am being sure to eat. (normally I have a huge appetite). I think I'm feeling less sluggish. My body's kind of out of whack, though. Last night I did not sleep well, so I didn't get up early for my work out. I'm just looking forward to feeling normal and having consistency in my life.

I hope everyone is doing well.

losing interest in food, but still hanging in there. Had to force myself to eat breakfast this morning. Also had to force myself to eat lunch yesterday, and had a small dinner. Something's going on in my body. Food just doesn't sound good in general, but I am being sure to eat. (normally I have a huge appetite). I think I'm feeling less sluggish.

I am noticing less hunger also, but am making myself eat. I wonder if I am eating too much (really don't think so!), or if it is a sign of becoming fat adapted? Did you experience a slump like this last time? Glad you are less sluggish today. Hang in there!!! Perhaps you could minimize your workout for a few days until you feel better. You could be fighting off a virus?

I made zucchini noodles last night with a ground turkey marinara sauce. Now I'm out of noodles and don't feel like going to the store to buy more zucchini, any ideas what I could do with the massive amount of sauce I have left?

Not sure, but I bet they would be good over cauliflower. Have any spaghetti squash? Over chicken, like a chicken parmegianna? If nothing else, freeze it! It will be a relief to have a meal partly ready on another day!

losing interest in food, but still hanging in there. Had to force myself to eat breakfast this morning. Also had to force myself to eat lunch yesterday, and had a small dinner. Something's going on in my body. Food just doesn't sound good in general, but I am being sure to eat. (normally I have a huge appetite). I think I'm feeling less sluggish. My body's kind of out of whack, though. Last night I did not sleep well, so I didn't get up early for my work out. I'm just looking forward to feeling normal and having consistency in my life.

I hope everyone is doing well.

I felt like that the other day and went to bed, food wasn't appealing at all, it actually turned me off, made me gag.

I made zucchini noodles last night with a ground turkey marinara sauce. Now I'm out of noodles and don't feel like going to the store to buy more zucchini, any ideas what I could do with the massive amount of sauce I have left?

I also like to have marinara sauce over a bed of spinach...

So I can't say I've noticed many cravings, but it has been a crazy week at work and I started my graduate program again last week.  With all this going on I was thinking this morning...boy it would be nice to come home tonight and have a glass of red wine!  But nope...can't do that!  That will be my first reintroduction item!  Last night for dinner I made some salmon patties and I just don't care for them, but the recipe made so many!  Does anyone have any ideas of a sauce or something I can do with them to make them more bearable?

Perhaps you could minimize your workout for a few days until you feel better. You could be fighting off a virus?

I am feeling a little more normal, but still not much appetite. I haven't been working out much either, first because of low energy, then because of trouble sleeping. I hope to normalize soon. Thanks for your thoughts on this.

I'm planning on going on a 13 mile hike next week and I need to think of some easy, lightweight snacks I can bring in my pack. My pack isn't very spacious so I don't want things that would smoosh (like bananas) and I live in southern Arizona so it will be a bit warm so I don't want things that will spoil. Any ideas? So far I'm planning on bringing a couple dates and maybe an apple or carrots, but for some reason the thought of eating an apple while hiking just isn't appealing to me (not sure why).

I'm planning on going on a 13 mile hike next week and I need to think of some easy, lightweight snacks I can bring in my pack. My pack isn't very spacious so I don't want things that would smoosh (like bananas) and I live in southern Arizona so it will be a bit warm so I don't want things that will spoil. Any ideas? So far I'm planning on bringing a couple dates and maybe an apple or carrots, but for some reason the thought of eating an apple while hiking just isn't appealing to me (not sure why).

How about some almonds too?

I'm planning on going on a 13 mile hike next week

13 miles is a big hike. I think the apple would sound great in the middle of that hike. Your idea about dates is also good. I like compliant jerky, or boiled eggs for protein. Don't forget lots of water. Have fun.

I haven't found any compliant jerky yet. Thinking of maybe making my own, found instructions on how to do it with an oven. Just not sure if I'll have time before Saturday to make it.

Almonds is a good idea. maybe I can make a sort of trail mix with different nuts (no peanuts), dates, unsweetened coconut flakes, and whatever else I can think of.

Thanks for the help, guys!

Just checking in: Noticing some clothes that were tight before now have some room! The knots in my muscles appear to be loosening up a bit. I have more energy. However, I was really grouchy at work the other day and don't know if it was Whole30 related or lack of sleep?

I have fallen into some foods that I eat regularly. I boil a bunch of eggs at once, and will use a couple on a salad to take to work or have some for breakfast. I bake a bunch of sweet potatoes, then toss in the fridge. When eating, I throw a bit of ghee, a few pecans and a few raisins on--so delicious--and an easy thing to grab to bring to lunch. I love to make a large pot of vegetable soup, with turkey or beef, and go ahead and portion it into containers for later--an easy grab for work.

I would love to hear anyone else's favorites. I'd like to mix it up a bit!

I'm feeling pretty good too. Last Friday I took a couple of exercise classes after work. One being a TRX Core and the other an hour spin class. I felt very weak during my TRX class and during my spin class I just felt off. I had my preworkout snack that day, but I'm thinking my regular meals must have been missing something.

I also keep boiled eggs in the fridge and plenty of salad fixings. Before doing the Whole 30 I would have a salad for lunch every day so I've been still doing that with my homemade vinagarette. I also keep the boiled eggs and sweet potatoes in the fridge. I haven't done a soup yet, but maybe I will do that this weekend. My regular item is a frittata that I make with whatever I have on hand. I'm still not a morning girl, so having this breakfast ready to go every morning has been a savior! I bring it to work with me so unfortunately, I make the office staff jealous with the wonderful aroma it creates!

I haven't made any soups yet so maybe I will do that this morning. When you have a soup do you have a salad along with it? This is my first time around so I've been kind of learning as I go...

Archived