WholeLent 2016 - starting February 10th.

angledge

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used Extra Virgin.  I didn't know that the Light was milder.  Thanks for the advice Susan....I appreciate it!  Guess I will toss the first batch (costly mistake) and try again with Light Olive Oil.  I think I will cut back on the mustard also.  Hopefully my 2nd try will be successful.

• Moderators

I used Extra Virgin.  I didn't know that the Light was milder.  Thanks for the advice Susan....I appreciate it!  Guess I will toss the first batch (costly mistake) and try again with Light Olive Oil.  I think I will cut back on the mustard also.  Hopefully my 2nd try will be successful.

Don't toss it... with the addition of some hot sauce (franks) you could make the sauce for buffalo chicken... put some extra lemon juice and anchovies in and make it ceaser salad dressing... add some roasted garlic to it and make garlic aioli... basically any compliant ingredient that you're interested in that would cover the slightly bitter taste of the evoo... it works... I've intentionally had to make mayo with evoo in a pinch and I just put loads of granulated garlic in to cover up the taste... yummy!

Yay!!  There you all are!  Was afraid I was going to be out here alone!  I've been rallying the troops on my Whole30 for Lent Facebook page but you guys are my board of directors and I will be checking into the Mother Ship on a regular basis during Lent.  I'm actually starting to have some ANXIETY about the whole thing but I went SO PUBLIC with it there's no backing out now so I'm girding my loins and fixin' to power on.   I did everything I could think of to get out of traveling next week but will be spending Feb 10 to the 16th in Southern California (I'm a health care consultant).  Some planning however was made - - staying in Extended Stay that has full kitchen...whew/!!!  Biggest anxiety?  no BREAD!!!   ; (   what the hell did people do for lunch before sandwiches were invented anyway????   Maybe tuna sandwich with BIG sliced of potato for "bread"......Good thing I'm doing this for Lent - - - lots of prayin' fixin' to happen..... 

What part of So Cal will you be in? I am in Orange County...

SugarcubeOD: Those are great ideas!

So today is day one and I was tested... a lot. Morning meeting with doughnuts and pastries, I was invited to lunch (I pre-planned and ordered grilled chicken garden salad and brought my own dressing) where everyone was eating tacos and burgers, someone brought cookies in for everyone at work, and someone else brought in stuff for root beer floats and some other sodas that they are just going to leave in the break room until used up. l need to get away from other people right now because it seems everyone is offering me food!

Hey! Great job everyone! Wrapping up day 1 here in the Pacific Northwest--surprised by how much time it takes...to take care of oneself.

Salmon in the oven, roasted potatoes and squash and some homemade mayo and pineapple...

Here ends day 1!

May we all go on to prosper and succeed on day 2--

You're worth it! Don't forget it.

Jane

Made it through Day 1 with fasting! Black coffee - lots - a handful of cashews for breakfast, a single scrambled egg for lunch, spicy tuna cakes w/ avocado, sweet potato, and roasted cauliflower for dinner. I was so hungry!  ;)

Tomorrow, another nom nom favorite - pulled pork with cole slaw. I guess I'll be making mayo! I prefer to use avocado oil, but I may try the light olive oil tomorrow since I have some.

Praying I will be able to get eggs from my farmer tomorrow! Last week he didn't have extras for people like me who failed to order in advance. And I failed again this week. I'm running really low now. I need my eggs!  :lol:

I am excited to find the WholeLent 2016!  Today I had two smaller meals and a regular meal for dinner and sipped on herbal teas instead of coffee (mostly has my ND recommends I quit caffeine and focus on nourishing and restoring my Adrenals).

Breakfast: Money Cereal (cashews, coconut chips and sliced banana)

Lunch: Roasted Butternut Squash and Carrot soup

Dinner: Herbed Cod Filet, yam fries and large tossed salad (greens, orange sections, raw pecans)

Wishing all an awesome Day 2!

Today is Day 40 of my Whole60 and Day 1 of my commitment to my meditation practice for Lent. I am happy to report that I enjoyed a 30 minute body scan meditation today after lunch :)

One of my newest goals with the Whole30 is to eat to the template every meal and not snack. I think this is my 3rd day not snacking, and although I have been 100% compliant throughout, I realized I was never really hungry enough for a snack. I rationalized that I needed one, didn't have time for a meal, or that is was ok so why not? In the last 40 days I have put away 2 jars of Sunbutter and 15 Rx Bars just because...

I share this because logging my food and food habits has been enlightening - I highly encourage you to start a Whole30 log if you haven't!! 

Made it through Day 1 with fasting! Black coffee - lots - a handful of cashews for breakfast, a single scrambled egg for lunch, spicy tuna cakes w/ avocado, sweet potato, and roasted cauliflower for dinner. I was so hungry!  ;)

Tomorrow, another nom nom favorite - pulled pork with cole slaw. I guess I'll be making mayo! I prefer to use avocado oil, but I may try the light olive oil tomorrow since I have some.

Praying I will be able to get eggs from my farmer tomorrow! Last week he didn't have extras for people like me who failed to order in advance. And I failed again this week. I'm running really low now. I need my eggs!  :lol:

I fasted too but I still made my meals according to the template, Breakfast was a poached egg, a handful of carrots, and 7 almonds. Lunch was half a palm of tuna, 2 cups of salad greens and 1 T of olive oil and a splash of vinegar. I had shrimp, asparagus and a baked potato with 2 thumbs of clarified butter for dinner. I was a little hungry.

I am excited to find the WholeLent 2016!  Today I had two smaller meals and a regular meal for dinner and sipped on herbal teas instead of coffee (mostly has my ND recommends I quit caffeine and focus on nourishing and restoring my Adrenals).

Lunch: Roasted Butternut Squash and Carrot soup

Dinner: Herbed Cod Filet, yam fries and large tossed salad (greens, orange sections, raw pecans)

Wishing all an awesome Day 2!

Monkey Cereal is Paleo, not Whole 30. You cannot make any thing that resembles a cereal (your breakfast) on your W30. It's SWYPO. You had no protein at lunch and not enough fat and vegetables. I hope you baked your yam fries for otherwise we can't make fries from acceptable ingredients. Salads need to be huge.

The meal template that you need to try to follow for every meal is 1-2 palms of protein + 1-3 cups of vegetables (we should be aiming for the higher end there) + 1-2 thumbs of fat at every meal. While we can have nuts, they are to used as a condiment sparingly for they can cause digestive problems. You had nuts at all 3 meals. There are several people here who have done multiple W30s and we'd be glad to help answer meal planning questions and the moderators check in often and are very knowlegable and helpful.

Everyone here

• Moderators

I've tried to stamp out the Monkey business around here before. You are not being singled out. I know Monkey business is popular on Facebook and around various sites, but all this Monkey business is basically a Whole30 fail. You are recreating your old diet with different ingredients - that is a failure. You are eating fat and fruit composed in a way that is more dessert than anything else - that is a failure. You are eating something that does not come close to meeting the standards of our meal planning template - that is a failure. You deserve so much more! Monkey business is a flimsy platform that will collapse your potential. Convert to eating real meals with protein, fat, and veggies. Cut out the Monkey business, at least for the next 30 days.

hi y'all! just finding this thread - day 2 for me. this is my second round - did round 1 last may and it was awesome, though i failed at reintro-ing deliberately (we were traveling to north louisiana on day 32, staying with family in a town of 2,000 with no grocery stores - seriously.). anyway. i've been probably 60/40 paleo-ish in the interim, but stoked to be back on a committed whole30. 

yesterday morning i had a giant bowl of zucchini soup (from well fed) + some compliant pulled pork. meal 2 was a huge salad with lettuce, cherry tomatoes, carrots and a couple pine nuts dressed with evoo & white balsamic + chicken salad with avocado and hard-boiled egg. then meal 3 i made the spaghetti sauce from whole30 (my fave), meatballs, spaghetti squash and another big salad (similar to lunch + avocado). 

this morning i had a mash up of spinach, cherry tomatoes, yellow peppers and avocado topped with a fried egg and the rest of my pulled pork. 

excited to be on this board! good luck everyone!

Hi to everyone. Not sure if I will be joining for all of Lent, as I'm on Day 20 of a Whole30, but I do want to extend my Whole30 because, among other things, I can't stop counting calories. It's been 21+ years of counting, though, so what did I expect?

I would like to say that I only just discovered zucchini noodles this week. Where has my brain been?! Delicious!

Good luck to all today! May this be a period of contemplation, renewal, and change.

Hi to everyone. Not sure if I will be joining for all of Lent, as I'm on Day 20 of a Whole30, but I do want to extend my Whole30 because, among other things, I can't stop counting calories. It's been 21+ years of counting, though, so what did I expect?

I would like to say that I only just discovered zucchini noodles this week. Where has my brain been?! Delicious!

Good luck to all today! May this be a period of contemplation, renewal, and change.

do you have a spiralizer yet? it's seriously the best thing that's happened to my kitchen. well worth the $$ investment (~$50 depending on the one you choose). my favorite thing about it is how easy it is to cut up hard veggies like kohlrabi, sweet potatoes, and butternut squash - peel and then spiralize in like 10 seconds! cooking time is shorter, too. it's awesome. 

also - i have a really hard time not counting calories too. i always want to *just* log my food, pretending like i'm not factoring in calorie count, but it's impossible to ignore. sigh.

do you have a spiralizer yet? it's seriously the best thing that's happened to my kitchen. well worth the $$ investment (~$50 depending on the one you choose). my favorite thing about it is how easy it is to cut up hard veggies like kohlrabi, sweet potatoes, and butternut squash - peel and then spiralize in like 10 seconds! cooking time is shorter, too. it's awesome. 

I have a little one, as in not a fancy one. I think I need a full bells-and-whistles one! It's such a fun way to eat veggies.  :)

For folks who want to log meals without counting calories, perhaps consider the app MyPaleoPal. I use it to log meals - but all you do is take a photo & write a description - no weighing/measuring/calorie-counting. As the name suggests, it's populated by folks eating somewhere on the Paleo end of the diet spectrum. People categorize their meals as "General Paleo", "AIP", "Primal Blueprint", "21 Day Sugar Detox", "Whole30", among others. 

I like it for accountability & I like scrolling through the filtered "Whole30" feed to see what other people are eating.

Hilarypaige, you are right on the Timeline: http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

Days 2-3: The Hangover

The alarm rings on day 2 and you pop out of bed expecting the same kind of Charlie Sheen winning feeling you had yesterday. Instead, you get the other side of Charlie…you know – the pounding-head-cross-eyed-can’t-see-straight side. You know you didn’t down a fifth of tequila in your sleep, so what the heck happened?!

Remember the pre Whole30 bender you went on? Pizza, cookies, Jim Beam, jelly beans (oh, the jelly beans)? Yeah. This is when it comes back to bite you in the butt. (And the head.) And it is definitely true that the amount of suck you experience in this phase is directly proportional to the amount of crap you consumed before you began the program. Especially if you consumed it consistently. This phase is especially hard for the habitual Diet Coke (and Diet Dr. Pepper here in my part of the world) drinkers. You know who you are.

Many Whole30ers report headaches, fatigue, and general malaise during this part of the program. This, my friends, is completely normal. Your body is working its way through a whole host of junk it stored from the foods (or food-like-products) you used to eat. This process lasts a day for some folks, but for others it can take a few days longer. Relax, drink a lot of water, and keep making good choices.

Ok, I'm a Newbie and I'm late to this game...

I will commit to this WholeLent thing, but my original plan was to start on Monday the 15th. So to compromise, I will do my best to start tomorrow (Amazon is supposed to deliver my book today), but at the very least I will cut out ALL sugar and other carbs. 

I also need to follow the FODMAP protocol (dang IBS!).

I love the support here  :)  and look forward to my journey!

I want to get a spiralizer: any brand recommendations? TIA

Today was hard.  There was a lot of temptation but I soldiered through and made it!

The sweetest little boy at school gave me a chocolate for Valentine's.  I had to help my kids get their cards and treats together.  They had a pile of candy on the table at Bible study.  I had to swing by the store for some groceries and since I was so hungry I almost broke down and got a LaraBar.  And I made Pasta Carbonara for the family at dinner.  But I was so hungry that meat sauce on spaghetti squash tasted like heaven!  

It is so great to read all of your posts. Very encouraging! It was wonderful to sit and eat breakfast this morning at 6am with my devotional--usually I don't take that kind of time.

I realized Benadryl (that I take at night as a sleep aid) has corn in it. My other supplements have soy oil, corn oil, blah blah blah. It's amazing!

Today was a good day!

I feel like I am eating a lot. Do any of you feel that way, too?

I do already recognize less sinus congestion.

On to day 3, everyone.

Keep it up!

Have you read all the info on the site, especially the food lists and Meal template? 

This is great advice! Reading everyday helped me stay inspired. It took me awhile to get the meal template down, and I wasn't eating enough veggies and fat in the beginning. I feel so much better now that I do.

I feel like I am eating a lot. Do any of you feel that way, too?

Yes! And my body seems to like it. Took time to get used to it though...

Archived