WholeLent 2016 - starting February 10th.

angledge

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first two days have not been bad. I've miraculously been spared the worst side effects, which means they're coming and when they do they'll be terrible.

What's been most interesting/different so far is letting myself eat big meals. It's difficult to eat everything, but when I do, I don't get nearly as hungry between meals. So far, I haven't been tempted to cheat. Again, I know it's coming and it will be a challenge to stay strong. My husband is my support (he's not doing the Whole30 but he is a healthy eater/exerciser) and is only a little puzzled by what in the world we're going to do to celebrate Valentine's day if it doesn't involve food. I suggested going on a hike. 

Ok, I'm a Newbie and I'm late to this game...

I will commit to this WholeLent thing, but my original plan was to start on Monday the 15th. So to compromise, I will do my best to start tomorrow (Amazon is supposed to deliver my book today), but at the very least I will cut out ALL sugar and other carbs. 

I also need to follow the FODMAP protocol (dang IBS!).

I love the support here  :)  and look forward to my journey!

I want to get a spiralizer: any brand recommendations? TIA

i use the inspiralizer and have had a great experience with it. there are also tons of yummy recipes on the site, and most of the paleo ones can be easily made whole30 compliant (or already are). http://inspiralized.com/

thanks to whoever suggested the mypaleopal app - i started using it and it's awesome!

Day 21 here and definitely will be extending--may go all the way through Lent with you all. I go for a few days feeling great, then have some days of extreme hunger, and then yesterday--BOOM: Whole30 foods without brakes. It's hard for me to feel like I am doing the program right when I can't just square right with the template immediately. (I don't have to start over; I am just not pleased that I have been resisting the template, then having a day of overeating compliant foods.)

Apologies for the ramble. At least a NSV: can wear a pair of black jeans I thought were too small. Now to try and get out of my negative head space.

If for NO OTHER REASON, I want to extend my Whole30 so I can stop thinking about food 24/7 and maybe, just maybe, treat myself with more dignity and kindness.

Happy Friday!

Here's a non-scale victory - I did 3,200 yards (1.8 miles) at swim practice last night & my shoulders don't hurt! Hooray bone broth! 

(I've been out of the water for a while, just getting back in this year. 3,200 yards is a big deal for me right now.)

I have a KILLER headache today! And I'm super tired! How are the rest of you feeling?

That's where I was yesterday too. It turned into a migraine by 6 and I went to bed at 8. Today I feel awesome though. I'm not hungry at all, which is weird because I only ate half of my breakfast and it's 3 and I still haven't eaten lunch. 

• Moderators

That's where I was yesterday too. It turned into a migraine by 6 and I went to bed at 8. Today I feel awesome though. I'm not hungry at all, which is weird because I only ate half of my breakfast and it's 3 and I still haven't eaten lunch. 

Hey there... this is not that 'weird'.  When your hormones are not balanced, you can experience lack of appetite which leads to skipping meals which leads to lack of appetite.  It's our recommendation that you go ahead and eat every 4-5 hours (at your standard meal times) even if you don't FEEL hungry... depending on where you've come from food wise, it could be that your hunger signals need repair and the only way to repair them is to eat at the recommended intervals, making meals that last you 4-5 hours per the template (linked below).

Three template meals are the absolute minimum that an adult human being needs for nutrients so skipping meals/eating portions of meals is not advised and is going to do more harm than good in the long run.

If you would like, go ahead and open a thread on the Troubleshooting forum listing what you've been eating for the last few days including portion sizes and we can see if there's something that stands out that may be contributing to your lack of appetite.

Hey there... this is not that 'weird'.  When your hormones are not balanced, you can experience lack of appetite which leads to skipping meals which leads to lack of appetite.  It's our recommendation that you go ahead and eat every 4-5 hours (at your standard meal times) even if you don't FEEL hungry... depending on where you've come from food wise, it could be that your hunger signals need repair and the only way to repair them is to eat at the recommended intervals, making meals that last you 4-5 hours per the template (linked below).

Three template meals are the absolute minimum that an adult human being needs for nutrients so skipping meals/eating portions of meals is not advised and is going to do more harm than good in the long run.

If you would like, go ahead and open a thread on the Troubleshooting forum listing what you've been eating for the last few days including portion sizes and we can see if there's something that stands out that may be contributing to your lack of appetite.

Thanks. I did just go eat my salad really quick and then came back. I am attributing it to the fact that I have been super busy and all over the place at work today, and I have been drinking a TON of water. I'm not usually a big drinker, of anything let alone water, so drinking so much today I think played a big role in that. 

Today was brutal!!

I usually get a snack in the teacher's lounge but all they had today were brownies, Valentine's cookies, even the yummy looking breakfast burritos someone made had cheese.  So no snacks for me.

Then we took the kids to Chuck E. Cheese for a Valentine's party.  That place is a nightmare under any circumstances, but I was extremely irritable today and had to do a lot of praying and self-talk not to rip someone's head off!  And the killer was, I was planning on getting their salad bar.  I've been there before and they had a decent looking selection of veggies.  So I grilled and cubed a chicken breast and brought it along.  Their "salad bar" has devolved into a tub of wilty lettuce and some bowls of crutons, craisins and various nasty dressings.  So while everyone else ate their pizza and cupcakes, I had my zippy bag of cold chicken.  

Then when we got home I knew I'd never make it till dinner time so I was going to have an apple with some almond butter.  But just as I was about to dig in, I noticed I had bought the Maple Justin's Butter!!!!  I really did almost kill something!  But I cooled down, microwaved a chicken sausage and had that.

Dinner was yummy though and I even convinced my husband to try the Butternut Squash Soup which he loved!

Hi Everyone! I hope you all had a great first 3 days! I'm feeling pretty good so far, most of my meals are bigger than what I'm used to but with much healthier foods! Of the last 3 days, today was the toughest. My 3 year old woke up at 4 am (after I stayed up until midnight watching TGIT!!!) throwing up and this continued throughout the day. Normally when I'm overly tired I turn to CARBS and SUGAR to get me through. But not today! I made a sweet potatoe hash with eggs and had a few cups of coffee with coconut milk, which I learned I really love, and carried on with the day. My favorite "food" so far has been the 'Dump Ranch'(found on Pinterest) that I made for my salad. I have never even considered making my own salad dressing, if only I knew how delicious and easy it would be!

Does anyone have a quick and easy post workout meal that I can make ahead and use for the week?? I usually workout about an hour after lunch when my son goes down for his nap for 30 mins to an hour.

Hey everyone! I'm enjoying your updates...

I have a no scale victory of sorts for the day: My writer's group met this afternoon at a coffee shop. I decided ahead of time that I would have an unsweetened green tea. I did. But what I realized afterward is where the victory came in- the pleasure of going to the group is the other people in the group, it is NOT what I am eating or drinking! 

It has been a long day so I opted for a leftover sweet potato with clarified butter for dinner. I think this is my first sweet potato in years (decades?) without a little maple syrup... it doesn't taste sweet to me and I hope that changes. 

I am still gearing up for my official start date of the 15th but am trying to eat Whole 30 until then anyway. 

I think my biggest struggle will be sweets, not just "natural" sugars but I love my stevia! I was actually thinking I could do this without giving up stevia, but that would be cheating myself and I would be on here dishonestly, I think. 

Until tomorrow.

Stay the course!

Today is day 3 of my recommitment to my meditation practice. The last two days I have set aside time for 2 mini meditations each day. Building slowly :)

It is day 43 of my Whole60 and I will be away from the house all day. I am taking lots of fresh and roasted veggies, sunshine sauce and mayo, olives, meatballs and chile-lime chicken burgers with me. I do have a fridge and a microwave where I am going, and a Whole Foods in walking distance. Our weather has been awesome, so am looking forward to a walk at lunchtime too!

I started this on Ash Wednesday and but didn't properly activate my forum account so have been reading but unable to respond! A good exercise in listening. Anyway am doing really well, with the usual fatigue, physical and mental. My body is already feeling much better, less bloated (yes I ate everything I knew I wasn't going to have for a few days before starting), less stiff and sleeping better. Planning ahead is really good and lots of protein, fat and veg. I had an apple as a snack with some nuts and felt the sugar rush from the apple about 10 minutes later. I had no idea. So I am thinking for me only fruit cooked in something and not very much. I am loving this  :) Thanks to you all .

My first whole 30 and things are going okay.  

Pros so far:

-  Feeling less bloated

-  Adding new healthy recipes to my list of go to recipes

-  Not missing my daily dose of dark chocolate nearly as much as I thought I would

Cons so far:

-  REALLY missing my "overnight oatmeal" that I had for breakfast every morning

-  Finding time for the prep work and meal planning

-  Feeling extra tired.....partially from going to bed later and getting up earlier trying to keep up. (Lent is a busy time with bible study on Wednesday Evenings    and a Lenten Speaker Series on Thursday evenings.)

Looking forward to:

-  More energy

-  Sleeping better

-  Weight loss

So far my favorite new recipes are:

Cod with Mushroom and Red Pepper Relish (page 242) YUM

Melissa's chicken hash.  I am going to try this recipe using sausage for breakfast.

I am thankful for:

-  The strength that God has given me to meet this challenge

-  This wonderful forum and all of the support that it has brought me

-  My husband's willingness to join me (with minimal complaints and NO help with meals, lol)

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, support and sharing!

ah ha! here's where I post! We actually started on Monday the 8th because we had shopped over the weekend and started 'testing' the recipes on Monday. We had started tailoring down the sugar really the Friday before.

the food is so incredibly delicious! Our favorite so far is the pork carnitas from the Whole30 book, in the crock pot and the ranch dressing is so good. I love to cook so it's not difficult just a lot more fresh than I am used to. and we must must prepare ahead of time. Wednesday was rough because we tried to play the cooking by ear. I have have survived a catered lunch meeting, I brought my own lunch, and a party at work where I survived the chocolate cake with a plan to eat and apple and almonds if I needed. which I didn't eat. the biggest bonus is my husband is beyond excited about this and he is cooking! breakfast everyday and helping with dinner.

I had a difficult day Monday after work kinda of a melt down. today my husband had a bad headache. thankfully I have not had a headache.

Friday we have valentines date and I am bringing a dinner picnic.

Day 4. I worry because I am not hungry between meals, haven't had any challenging side effects...I worry because I feel like this is a lot of food. A lot.

However--I am finding much time for reflection and the strength to challenge my thinking and habits.

Thankful.

Onward to day 5--I hope you all are well!!

• Moderators

Day 4. I worry because I am not hungry between meals, haven't had any challenging side effects...I worry because I feel like this is a lot of food. A lot.

However--I am finding much time for reflection and the strength to challenge my thinking and habits.

Thankful.

If you're concerned, go ahead and open a thread in the troubleshooting forum and list a few days of your food including portion sizes and we can see if we can help with appetite and the amount of food.

• Moderators

Thankful.

Like SugarCubeOD said, open a thread in the Troubleshooting part of the forum if you want some feedback, but I wanted to add -- if you used to eat more than just three meals, especially if you tended to graze throughout the day, you probably ate just as much food as you are now, just spread out more throughout the day. The not being hungry between meals is a direct result of eating bigger meals. In It Starts With Food, the Hartwigs explain that the idea here is to let your digestive system work its way through everything it has to do to digest a meal, and then have a little bit of a break before it needs to do it all again with the next meal. For me, personally, the not needing to eat every 2-3 hours (on one diet I tried, I literally HAD to eat every 2-3 hours or I was not only hungry enough to eat steamed fish and broccoli, I was also hangry enough I really wanted to beat someone up and steal their steamed fish and broccoli), not having to come up with snacks, not heading into the kitchen for just a bite of something here, and a little bit of something else there, is really nice. 

Archived