Working Lunch Meeting...HELP!

acfreeze

My boss wants to have a staff meeting at Cheddars restaurant tomorrow. I've looked at the menu and I'm really having a hard time finding something compliant. I really don't want to mess up my Whole30, but I don't want to be the weirdo that brought her lunch to a restaurant. HELP! Here's a link to the menu: http://cheddars.com/location/e-colonial/

I would dread having to eat out. I'm meeting some folks for 'breakfast' this weekend and am just going to eat beforehand and have coffee and save myself a headache. I think if I were you, I'd order a plain baked potato, an order or steamed broccoli and bring a bit of ghee or some other compliant topping to add. Not sure I'd trust that anything else would be compliant. 

• Moderators

You are in the midst of doing an elimination diet. There is nothing weird about not being able to eat most offerings at a restaurant named for cheese. Take your lunch or eat before you go and then you can just drink lots of water or unsweetened ice tea. :)

Call ahead and see if they have anything compliant they can offer you (I start with "no grains, no dairy, no sugar" and move on from there.

If they don't, eat before you go or when you get back. They say they make everything from scratch, so if they have the ingredients, you might be lucky :)

If your boss wants everyone to eat together, they should actually ask about stuff like this.

Today was R1D1 for me!   I had a lunch meeting at a Mexican restaurant of all places!   I was the nerd that took my lunch...ate it at the table and was quite pleased with myself!  Don't be afraid to bring your own if that's what you think is better for you.  Your boss will admire your conviction!! 

• Moderators

Call ahead to verify you can get the following without oils (you'll need to ask whether the meats are marinated in anything)

Here's where I'd start on the menu:

• Grilled salmon - You get 2 sides: Steamed fresh broccoli, ask for a plain baked potato (or get a double broccoli order)
  • Grilled whitefish - hold the rice, get the 2 sides as suggested above
  • Grilled chicken pecan salad - hold the cheese, pecans and dressing (bring your own dressing. Heck, bring some pan-toasted pecans!)
  • Key West chicken and shrimp - hold the rice, ask about the pineapple pico de gallo, get the 2 sides as suggested above

Get over the feeling of being the weirdo. If you didn't like rice (or tomatoes, or beans) you wouldn't think twice about asking for dishes without it and for a sub. And you wouldn't give a damn if your coworkers thought that was weird. Right?

In addition to what everyone else has said, double check to make sure they don't put butter or something on that broccoli once it's steamed. One place I went into to see if they had anything compliant put "no calorie, fat free butter spray" on the steamed broccoli. Whaaaaaa?

• 1 year later...

I know this is an older post but wanted to put my two cents in, just in case someone else Googles this question. I went to Cheddar's last week to celebrate a friends birthday. My friend is also doing the Whole 30. We both ended up ordering a plain baked potato (they just have sea salt on the skin, nothing else) and a house salad with no cheese or croutons. Basically, it was lettuce, tomato and a chopped hard boiled egg. It comes with a croissant but I gave that to another friend at the table. I don't eat salad dressing so a generous sprinkling of pepper was enough for me. It was actually delicious! It could be because I still feel like I'm cheating on the Whole30 when I have a potato. ;) 

Be bold. Speak the truth in love.

When you speak the truth in love there may be immediate pushback and blowback while running the race.

There are recovering alcoholics all over this world who have clients. They are not so easily led astray by every client that they throw their recovery away to be pleasing for others.

You don't have to throw your Whole 30 away because of a client working lunch or dinner.  Frankly, I'd have far more respect and trust for someone who is strong in their resolve and not an easy pushover.

Leaders lead by example. You don't need to sell yourself down the river for a sale or client.

Archived