So Far So Good

laura_juggles

Day 12 of my first Whole30 here and (knock on wood) I think it's been going pretty well. Hit a rough patch around Day 5 when I didn't have a whole lot of energy and got a visit from that monthly friend  ;)  ;)  but they were probably related. People in the office have been cleaning out their homes of all the junk they bought/baked over the holidays and I ignored it all. 

I don't feel like my energy level's picked up a lot, but it has been much more consistent. My sleep has also gotten a little better. I've always been a very restless sleeper so I don't expect that I'll all of a sudden start sleeping like a baby. 

I didn't measure or weigh myself before starting this Whole30 because, while I would like to lose body fat I also lift weights and would like to build muscle and I know that'll skew my perceptions of how I'm doing if the scale doesn't move. 

Grabbed a pair of jeans this morning and I thought they were a pair of my "skinny" jeans, not really paying attention. They were actually a pair of bootcut jeans that I was thinking of putting away because they were uncomfortably snug on my belly. It really wasn't until I zipped them up that I realized they were the bootcut pants because I didn't have to struggle or suck anything in to button and zip them! They don't feel like they're digging in anywhere! Yay pants!  :D  :D

I love the yay pants!  

Thanks! It's my own silly little way of making both myself and other people smile. I can say "yay" before practically anything and it works :)  (Yay burpees! happened last night and my friend standing in front of me in class turned around to glare at me for a second before she laughed)

I'm praying for strength to resist sugar! Day three has me craving the Smarties and ice cream that I know are in the house for the kids. I'm the only one doing this challenge and I need strength!

You can do it, Angie!! Maybe when those cravings hit, you can take a quick walk or play with the kids, wipe down the counters, search on Amazon for a new book or CD, some random thing to do for 10 or so minutes to get the craving out of your system  :)

I wore my favorite leggings to the gym yesterday (day 14) for a HIIT class and they kept sliding down in the back. Ugh, so annoying. I might just have to put a drawstring in these suckers because I'm not getting rid of them until they're baggy. And even then, I'll give them to another Les Mills instructor because they're a super awesome co-branded pair that Reebok stopped making.  :(  :(  I love these leggings!  :wub:

Day 20 and I'm feeling good. 

There is definitely less muffin-top going on. Used to be like one of those giant muffins and now it's like a normal muffin (as reference, I lost ~175lbs a couple years back and kept the vast majority of it off, but my tummy's never going to be flat and trim unless I win the lotto). 

Bought a new pair of gym tights that are super cute and they fit perfectly in a size large. I've been fluctuating between an XL and a L depending on the type of pants and whatever ridiculous sizing concepts the manufacturer uses (except at Target where practically everything seems weirdly snug in an XL or XXL). Having once been feeling a bit smushed in a 4XL, the actual size isn't a huge focus for me, but it's nice to not have to special-order workout clothes because I'm too big for what they sell at the store. 

I've eaten out a couple times, or picked up food somewhere because I've been super busy. Carnitas at Chipotle one day for lunch, dinner at Hu Kitchen when I went to NYC to see a friend in a show, random selections from the salad bar at Whole Foods. Everything at Whole Foods was cooked in canola, which I know is okay when eating out, but c'mon Whole Foods! You're supposed to be better than that!

Looking forward to the next 10 days...not sure I'm going to start a reintro right away, but I don't think I'm going to firmly decide to turn this into a Whole60 or 90. 

• Administrators

I lost ~175lbs a couple years back and kept the vast majority of it off, but my tummy's never going to be flat and trim unless I win the lotto). 

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!  That is amazing, congratulations!!!!!!!!

Edit: in case that sounded not supportive and completely positive, know that as someone who lost 90# about 7 years ago, I know how hard it is.  You are amazing!  :D

Thanks, ladyshanny! It was actually my 30th birthday present to myself, which started a month or so before I turned 29. I'd never actually *tried* to lose weight, but didn't want to start off by having bariatric surgery. So I joined a gym, started eating more healthily, and discovered group fitness. Now, I'm almost 32 and I teach group fitness classes at my gym. It's been a wild ride but I wouldn't trade it for anything!

• Administrators

Thanks, ladyshanny! It was actually my 30th birthday present to myself, which started a month or so before I turned 29. I'd never actually *tried* to lose weight, but didn't want to start off by having bariatric surgery. So I joined a gym, started eating more healthily, and discovered group fitness. Now, I'm almost 32 and I teach group fitness classes at my gym. It's been a wild ride but I wouldn't trade it for anything!

Ah, no way!  When I struck out to lose weight my main reason was that I didn't want to be overweight, unhealthy and unhappy when I turned 30!  I started 4 months before my 29th birthday.  Now I'm 36V2.  :)

Archived