How to make homemade mayonnaise

Luiza

Hi all,

I am trying to make the homemade mayonnaise from the whole30 book, the recipe calls for a egg, is it a egg with the whites or only the yolk? Sorry if it is a silly question, but I have tried and didn't get the consistency of mayo, just a horrible liquid! I am in my 10th egg at the moment, will be my last attempt, i am using a stick blender, does it make a diference? Should I use a blender?

Thanks

Luiza

Yes, you use the whole egg! It must be room temperature along with the acid you are using. I leave my egg and lemon on my kitchen counter for several hours before making it. Make sure you are drizzling your oil in slowly....really slowly. I always use an immersion blender and it comes out great.

Good luck!

Hi Michele,

Thanks for your answer, does your blender get hot in the process? My does, kind off stick on the bottom like a vacuum..Is it normal? And is it quick or take a while to emulsify? Sorry for so many questions but I am novice on homemade, we always eat pre something never homemade...

Luiza

Hi Michele,

Thanks for your answer, does your blender get hot in the process? My does, kind off stick on the bottom like a vacuum..Is it normal? And is it quick or take a while to emulsify? Sorry for so many questions but I am novice on homemade, we always eat pre something never homemade...

Luiza

It sounds like your blender is going too fast and hot.

I use a stick blender and it does not get hot, nor have a vaccuum seal to the bottom of the container.

It takes very little time: I blend for 30 seconds on the room temp egg, lemon juice (let both stand together on the counter for 30 minutes beforehand) and 1/4 c of lite olive oil, ground mustard and salt. Then I slowly pour in another 1 cup of oil while blending. That slow pour process takes 1-2 minutes, max, and the emulsifying starts about 15-30 seconds in. At the end, I have beautiful thick mayo. I follow Mel Joulwan's recipe

• Administrators

You can also just throw all the ingredients into a jar, throw your immersion blender into the bottom and press go.  Draw the blender up slowly over about 20-30 seconds and done.  No waiting for ingredients to come to room temp, no drizzling.  I've never had a fail that way.

You say you're on your 10th egg?!  Yikes -- how much oil have you gone through?

I, too, use a stick blender. I crack the egg into the jar I'm going to make it in and add the lemon juice and then cover it and let it sit anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours. When I'm ready to go, I add the other ingredients, including ALL of the oil. Like LadyShanny, I put the stick blender into the jar, all the way to the bottom and then turn it on and pull it up slowly. If it's still a little too loose for my taste, I turn it back on and move it up and down a bit. Comes out perfect every time.

Also, make sure to find a spot in your fridge that doesn't get too cold. I put mine on one of the shelves in the door.

• Moderators

You say you're on your 10th egg?! Yikes -- how much oil have you gone through?

I, too, use a stick blender. I crack the egg into the jar I'm going to make it in and add the lemon juice and then cover it and let it sit anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours. When I'm ready to go, I add the other ingredients, including ALL of the oil. Like LadyShanny, I put the stick blender into the jar, all the way to the bottom and then turn it on and pull it up slowly. If it's still a little too loose for my taste, I turn it back on and move it up and down a bit. Comes out perfect every time.

Also, make sure to find a spot in your fridge that doesn't get too cold. I put mine on one of the shelves in the door.

You don't even have to let the egg come to room temperature, you can just dump everything in the jar, wait a few seconds for the egg to settle on the bottom, and blend. If I did your method, I'd be prone to forgetting I'd put an egg out and come back hours later or even the next day and then not be willing to use an egg that sat out that long.

Hi GFChris, Ladyshanny, SpunkyBunny, Shannon and Alison

Thanks soo much! Did as directed, and.....SUCESS! (Was my last egg!) my family (and myself) loved it! So different from the Hellman's one! SpunkyBunny I used (wasted) half a litre of light olive oil and nine free range eggs! I know should know better, should have stopped and tried to find out what was wrong... I found today here in the forum Sonia at http://thehealthyfoodie.comshowing how to transform the failed mayo into a salad dressing so plenty off salad in the next days for me

Luiza

HELP! I made "The Best Mayo You've Ever Had" recipe from the Whole 30 website and followed it word for word. I bought light tasting oil, fresh eggs, and everything was at room temperature, I was convinced I couldn't screw it up. 

The mayo emulsified perfectly, looked exactly like it should, i was pumped! But the taste was HORRIBLE. It had this weird plastic taste.. that's the only way I can describe it. I tried again.. same result. Has this happened to anyone else? Or does anyone have any suggestions? 

It's probably the oil you used. All olive oil is not created equal and the cheaper oils are adulterated with other oils although its not on the label.  I'll never buy mayonnaise again now that I know how easy it is to make and how good it tastes. I use Pompiean Extra Light Olive Oil.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi CaGirl, sorry didn't see your question before. What I was doing wrong:
I was moving the stick blend strait way, not leaving in place first, and I was keeping the stick inside until was so hot the eggs are scrambling!
Now I do a French stile Mayo, meaning 2 eggs yolk (no whites) Dijon mustard (if you are from the UK TESCO own brand, the cheap one is compliant) 1 tsp (I don't like to mustardy) 1 tsp salt, half lemon and 300 ml light olive oil. (again I use TESCO on brand)
First go the yolks, then salt, Dijon, lemon and oil, let the yolks set down on the bottom, the stick goes strait on top the yolks and start. Stay in the same place until you can see the emulsification start wait a bit more and slowly bring the stick up, voila Mayo! I found with the yolks only the taste is more luxurious, you have that mouth feel of more creaminess. Try both ways and decide with one tast better for you.
I saw in a Australian website that if you add 2 tbsp of hot water (not boiling just after boiling) you pasturase the egg (killing salmonella) but I don't know if this is true, I am not a scientist, it is a nice idea isn't it?

You can also take your failed batches, add another egg and blend that in. It often will come around to thick mayo. Adjust the acid, mustard, salt if needed after that happens.

I've had a couple failed batched in the past 6 months with my immersion blender, after always having foolproof mayo.  Tried the add an egg yolk trick: still liquid.

I'm chalking it up to high barometric pressure in the atmosphere or high humidity on those days.

• 1 month later...

I just mad some Mayo with one duck egg plus an extra yolk, duck fat and coconut oil along with the salt and ground mustard and fresh lemon juice.  It taste fantastic, with a hint of coconut; which I like the taste of.

• Moderators

Is there a way to fix icky mayo taste? I made a batch, but I don't think I can get past the taste. I don't want to throw it away, but if I can't fix the taste, I'll have to. Any suggestions?

Why does it taste icky?

You can try adding herbs or spices to it and see if it covers up the taste. There are some sauce recipes here that might give you ideas for flavors to try.

• Moderators

Is there a way to fix icky mayo taste? I made a batch, but I don't think I can get past the taste. I don't want to throw it away, but if I can't fix the taste, I'll have to. Any suggestions?

Add roasted garlic or other herbs to it... you can put chipotle powder (in the spice aisle) or roasted garlic or dill and more lemon... any flavor of creamy mayo based sauce would work... 

I often put a good shake of granulated garlic in before I blend... especially if I had to use Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a pinch... is that what you used?

Archived