Day 22 - used broth with sugar!:(

TripleM

I am so upset I could cry. My husband and I are on day 22 of our first W30. The past week our 1 year old has been sick with strep throat and croup, so no one has slept more than 2 or 3 hours at a time. Now we both caught her cold/strep throat. Today I decided I was going to make some chicken soup - good comfort food when you are sick right? When we were out of town last week I bought broth at Whole Foods that I swore was compliant. Would swear to it that I double-checked in the store, and that it was the brand I read about on the forum. Recipe called for 2 quarts of broth, and I added about 3 cups before I had a panicky feeling and double-checked the ingredients...organic cane sugar. :( I didn't add any more, and used water from when I poached the chicken to make the rest of the 2 quarts, but now I am going to feel like a failure if I eat it! Should I freeze it for after W30? I have been looking forward to soup ALL DAY, since I feel like crap and it's so chilly here. Any thoughts? I don't want to derail all the hard work from the past 3 weeks, but I also want some soup. :(

Oh goodness. You and your family are ill and you need soup. Don't worry about it. If anything, just add more days after your Whole30, but really, I would just keep going. It's not like you had 4 bowls of ice cream or pizza. You are ill. I don't like the phrase "I am going to feel like a failure". Not necessary or helpful to your well being. Eat some soup, feel better, frame it and move on.

Thank you slw600, and you are right, my attitude is not helpful to my well-being. I am just annoyed at myself that I didn't read the label before. But you are right...I just needed a reality check!

Yep..move on and I do hope you and your family feel better soon. :)

• Moderators

I agree, eat some soup and move on.

The ingredient dance can be tricky. For example, as I recall, the brand of broth I used to use included no sugar with the "free range" chicken broth, but organic cane sugar with the ordinary chicken broth. Now I just make my own by pressure cooking a chicken in a big pot of water. When I first started cooking, making my own broth seemed too hard and too demanding. Now it seems like the natural, simple thing to do. It's funny how experience can change perspectives.

Thanks Tom. I actually am planning on making my own broth tomorrow, hoping it turns out well!

The soup hit the spot. It had quite a kick to it from some cayenne pepper which I think helps too. Thankfully I got almost 7 hours of sleep last night!! I'm already feeling better today, hoping for more good sleep tonight and feeling even better tomorrow!

Thanks again to both of you!

Archived