Company Retreat

rbill

Hi,

So, when I started my January W30 I didn't realize that I had an overnight company retreat starting on day 24...meaning I'm seriously almost to the WHOLE 30 and although I know I can make personal choices about completing, I'm really determined and would feel defeated if I was that close to let something get in the way. 

Here's the problem I'm running into: the meals will be catered by the hotel we are staying at, and we already pre-picked the meals (current meal options unknown to me). I mentioned to the woman who is putting the retreat together that I have a lot of "allergen preferences" (which she said she will reach out to the whole team to confirm allergies), I told her I don't mind bringing my own meals and/or calling to speak with the hotel, but she insisted that won't be necessary, but I totally feel like it is necessary to stay compliant. 

Here are the meals that we are eating at the hotel:

Day 1:

Breakfast (I am fine with eating breakfast before I go)

Lunch (no idea what is on the menu)

Dinner (no idea what is on the menu)

Day 2:

Breakfast (I will bring my own breakfast and eat it in my hotel room beforehand)

Lunch (no idea what is on the menu)

Once she asks, I plan to say my allergen preferences are: No soy, no gluten, no dairy. (Should I add anything else??) 

But, how do you say no sugar, no grains, no additives without seeming overbearing? Also, any suggestions on "insisting" that I bring my own lunches without seeming overbearing or off-putting to my colleagues, CEO, and president? 

I have the contact info of the hotel personnel who is helping put the retreat together, but I also don't want to "go behind" my colleague's back and talk to her?

I'm nervous to eat something non-compliant and feel resent towards the retreat and also I really don't want to physically feel ill! 

Suggestions, please!!!

Stash compliant foods in your bag and eat what you can of the other food. I travel frequently and honestly I'll go with an Rx bar and almond butter and then grab fruit from the offered food (there's usually fruit at least!). I don't make a big deal out of it and it's been fine. I've also dashed out and grabbed a compliant salad when the catering doesn't work for me, if I'm somewhere with quick options.

It's not overbearing to ask for food that doesn't make you sick. Bosses would generally prefer their staff not to be sick :D

If it's all worked out before you get there, it's so much easier.

I ask for/about:

• "no grains, no sugar, no soy, no dairy" otherwise you'll get corn, gluten free soy sauce and cheese on everything as it has no gluten in it.
  • Any pure meat is fine (such as steak) but no manufactured or mixed meat (skip bacon altogether, it's only a few days)
  • Any vegetables besides corn (lots of places think it is a vegetable)
  • If there's salad, ask for it to be served to you undressed and take your own dressing or mayo (maybe a black pepper grinder too).
  • Olive oil as my cooking oil
  • If fruit and nuts are offered on platters, the fruit is usually plain but watch the nuts as they can be roasted in non-compliant oils.
  • If they want to serve you dessert, ask for plain fruit.

It's totally fine to call the hotel and check (if you feel they're not taking it seriously, say your doctor told you to ask) and sometimes you can speak to the chef.

You can also take:

• Emergency bars
  • Small jar of olives
  • Small tins of tuna
  • Cans of green beans
  • Nuts
  • Dried fruit
  • Your own tea bags or instant coffee

Thank you all so much. I've been in contact with the hotel and will be bringing my own breakfasts and lunches (phew!) and the only meal that we will have to deal with is dinner--I've made my requests and they will be talking to the chef. We shall see what happens! 

Thanks again. 

Archived