Substitute for rice or pasta?

TexasMomma5

• Administrators

Veggies, friend.  All manner of veggies cooked in all manner of ways.  The starchier root veggies can sometimes replace rice/pasta carbs but don't forget about all the other veggies that are just yearning for an opportunity.  Red sauce is amazing served over roasted brocoli. People (not me) love zoodles (zucchini turned into noodles).  There's cauliflower rice (love!) for rice replacement to soak up sauces. 

Slightly more difficult advice though: branch out, make new things, don't focus on trying to "replace" your old standbys.  Get new ones!  New ones that never met a grain of rice or noodle and are amazing without!

Riced Cauliflower is a brilliant replacement for rice, Actually, I find it far superior because there is no starch to gum up the rice and make it sticky and gummy. You can easily make your own using the top blade of a food processor after cutting a head into chunks OR Trader Joe's sells bagged organic riced cauliflower. You may be able to find it at a Whole Foods but don't quote me on this b/c I haven't checked.

Spaghetti squash is a great foil for noodles if you like the taste (some don't) it also lends itself well to casseroles and bakes. Finally a total veg lasagna with eggplant, zucchini, and mushrooms is good stuff.

If you're pressed for time,  frozen or even compliant canned vege will work.   French cut green beans, asparagus, artichoke hearts, broccoli...especially the canned work well for rice or pasta with their softer textures.

Canned Green Beans  are a nice pairing for all kinds of meat/fish sauces. Oooooo, how  I do lurve the conviviality of canned vege. They're Whole 30 friendly.   :D 

Hi! I found a recipe for whole30 approved pad thai and it used zucchini and carrot as noodles, you just have to "noodle" them yourself.

(i use a veggie peeler). peel skin, then keep going until i have nothing left of the carrot or zucch.

And seriously friend, these are my NEW FAVORITE THING!
its all the volume of noodles, with all the joys of veggie.  (I think id be a convert even if i wasnt whole 30ing)

Im excited to hit the grocery store soon and see what else i can noodle there!

give it a go!
good luck.

• Moderators

Hi! I found a recipe for whole30 approved pad thai and it used zucchini and carrot as noodles, you just have to "noodle" them yourself.

(i use a veggie peeler). peel skin, then keep going until i have nothing left of the carrot or zucch.

And seriously friend, these are my NEW FAVORITE THING!

its all the volume of noodles, with all the joys of veggie.  (I think id be a convert even if i wasnt whole 30ing)

Im excited to hit the grocery store soon and see what else i can noodle there!

give it a go!

good luck.

If you end up really, really liking the zoodles, you might look into a spiralizer -- totally not necessary, as you've seen you can just use a veggie peeler, but fun and a little easier, especially if you want to do large volumes. You might also find ideas at the website Inspiralized (note that not all recipes here are Whole30, but they're veggie focused, so most should be easy to modify). 

Archived