Food Sensitivities and Autoimmune

Heaven02

today is day 10.

I think having Health issues like Lyme and Sibo requires me to be more cautious with foods than I want to be. Having food addiction and eating disorder issues doesnt help.

I keep binging on allowed foods covered in other foods that I might be sensitive to.... foods that may cause inflammation like ground seeds (i would say nuts too but thank God I don't have any in the house).  Maybe it's the lectins or PUFA?

I also use alot of beef gelatin on my meats and vegetables...at every meal pretty much.

My stomach is burning and my cravings keep me eating more.  I am extremely bloated.  I can't sleep at night.  Could it be the high glutamate level in the gelatin?  I also drink bone broth,,, and cook meat slowly in my slow cooker often, eat meat leftovers and canned fish.  Which I know also are high in glutamates.

Besides that I am following the whole30 food list as listed and have increased my amount of healthy fats, avocados, olives, protein at every meal etc.   I definitely feel like I am overeating and have a binge like behaviors.  

Just wondering if i need to follow a stricter Autoimmune protocol and also maybe try without the gelatin.  I know this will be difficult for me to put down so I am just wanting any feedback.  Thanks.

• Moderators

I don't necessarily think you need to go to a stricter protocol.

If you're still eating the milk thistle seeds and coconut flour, that needs to go.  I'd say that given the relationship with the gelatin, combined with how much of it you're eating and the fact that it MAY be causing you some issues, it's got to go.

Do you have a medical or helping professional that you work with on these issues?  Honestly, it sounds like you really want to gain a healthy relationship with food and maybe some help from a professional would be of benefit?

My advice considering that you're already eating outside of your comfort level is to remove one potential offender at a time and see how you feel.  So put down the seeds that you're covering your meals with first... or maybe try for a few days without the gelatin and see how you feel?  

At this point, considering your somewhat disordered eating pattern, I don't think it's healthy or feasible to FURTHER restrict your intake by doing an AIP (that is HARD!), but it would be worthwhile to start removing some of these less healthy things that you are leaning on... 

Does that make sense?

I would also suggest that you take a read of this article by Melissa about when a Whole30 might either be going bad or not be right for you in your current context.

http://whole30.com/2012/02/whole30-gone-bad/

Sugar cube thank you again for responding. I really feel like you get me. I read the article and I could really relate to things needing to be perfect and needing stress management and help. Although currently I am not, I was in therapy for many years.

I put down the coconut flour last week, and today was my first day without the gelatin and milk thistle seeds. I really just tried to eat real food.

I had 2 beef and liver patties with Brussel sprouts for breakfast, lunch was can of sardines in olive oil over a large bowl of broccoli and seaweed.

Dinner was beef tongue fried in coconut oil, sautéed carrots and kale, salad with avocado and oil

And I had a bowl of strawberries and a mug of chicory root / cinnamon tea with a large teaspoon of coconut oil after dinner which I haven't been doing on whole30...and it was very satisfying. I am going to allow myself that after dinner....so I may not be doing whole30 exactly as it was written but it feels right to me and less restrictive considering I am doing a lot of restricting with the autoimmune protocol. (Don't feel that I can handle nuts, seeds nightshade a and eggs right now....as well as dairy, grains etc). And there are plenty of other things to eat.

This is the best I have felt so far and it is day 11.

Thanks again for your help.

• Moderators

Well here's a big old hug for you for getting outside your comfort zone!!

I'm a little in awe of the liver and beef tongue! That's impressive!

The strawberries and tea are absolutely okay and don't ruin your Whole30. Normally we would say try not to snack after dinner but in the case of your situation and really going way outside your comfort zone already, I think it's completely reasonable and if it helps ease the burden of the other things you're removing (the flour, seeds and gelatin) then go for it! The only thing I would say is eat those strawberries mindfully... really enjoy the taste and texture and pay attention when you're eating them :)

Keep it up and we're definitely here for you, so if you have any questions or concerns or want to share victories, we're here!

Well here's a big old hug for you for getting outside your comfort zone!!

I'm a little in awe of the liver and beef tongue! That's impressive!

The strawberries and tea are absolutely okay and don't ruin your Whole30. Normally we would say try not to snack after dinner but in the case of your situation and really going way outside your comfort zone already, I think it's completely reasonable and if it helps ease the burden of the other things you're removing (the flour, seeds and gelatin) then go for it! The only thing I would say is eat those strawberries mindfully... really enjoy the taste and texture and pay attention when you're eating them :)

Keep it up and we're definitely here for you, so if you have any questions or concerns or want to share victories, we're here!

Thanks so much for the encouragement and support. Yes I do like liver...and the beef tongue I just recently got up the nerve to experiment with and once I realized it needs to be cooked in the slow cooker first for a very long time (learned that the hard way) and then remove the icky outer layer, it was actually very good. From there I sliced it up and fried it. Thank goodness for all the generously shared information on the Internet.

I will practice mindful eating with those strawberries and keep you posted!

Hi

I may be on the wrong thread but am going to ask anyway.

I have been doing AIP since January 1st and have gone through, very tired, sleeping huge amounts, unsettled nights, constipation, loose stools, frequent urination and mood changes. At the moment I am sleeping reasonably well aeithernd only at night, relatively calm all day every day, exercising small bits daily,(swimming or walking in the water) and generally feeling better. 

But.

I am so hungry I could eat the house. 

M1 is generally: ground pork with liver, grated carrot, grated beetroot, onions and 3-4 cups broccoli and cauliflower, coconut oil, with a cup of bone broth

M2: either beef, salmon, sardines or left over M1 patty with raw slaw of green and red cabbage, olives, pear,olive oil, cucumber, cold cooked kumara

M3: generally beef, pork, and cauliflower, broccoli, beet root, kumara and coconut oil

I drink usually 2litres of water, 3 cups bone broth occasional tea

I am full and satisfied when I eat a meal and within an hour I am hungry. I can't believe I am not eating enough although I know if you are hungry you aren't eating enough. I wonder if it is the combination of what I am eating and not getting enough high density carbs? Should I be eating more of them? 

Avocado season is over here but I do have some frozen and I was toying with the idea of making a smoothie with avo and spinach for inbetween????

Any suggestions. I just shouldn't be this hungry with that amount I am eating. I do have a lot of weight to lose and wonder if I am just burning up the food so just put up with the hunger?

Thanks. 

• Administrators

Miss Lindy, you should not be starving an hour after eating.  Have you been starving the whole 20 days or is this a somewhat new development? Are you getting or having your period?  Many women become ravenous during this time and should be eating as much as they need in order to feel comfortable.

It's hard to tell from your post what your portion sizes are though. You can eat to the higher end of the template (2 palms protein, 3+cups cooked veggies, whole avocado etc) if you need to. 

Miss Lindy, you should not be starving an hour after eating.  Have you been starving the whole 20 days or is this a somewhat new development? Are you getting or having your period?  Many women become ravenous during this time and should be eating as much as they need in order to feel comfortable.

It's hard to tell from your post what your portion sizes are though. You can eat to the higher end of the template (2 palms protein, 3+cups cooked veggies, whole avocado etc) if you need to. 

Hi

Thanks for your response.

No not the whole 22 days but the past week at least. I thought it was just an adjustment and nothing to do with cycles.

I think my portion sizes are large, more than a palm-size protein , often more than two palm sizes,  and more than 4 cups veg at every meal. I eat more than my husband and he has a good appetite although he is on the lean side, I am not.

I suppose this should be good news since for several years I was never hungry and often didn't eat regular meals at all. But there must be some adjustment needed to stop this constant hunger. Since I added more high density carb veg at M3, I sleep mostly through the night. I was waking about three or four in the morning, absolutely ravenous. 

• Administrators

Hi

Thanks for your response.

No not the whole 22 days but the past week at least. I thought it was just an adjustment and nothing to do with cycles.

I think my portion sizes are large, more than a palm-size protein , often more than two palm sizes,  and more than 4 cups veg at every meal. I eat more than my husband and he has a good appetite although he is on the lean side, I am not.

I suppose this should be good news since for several years I was never hungry and often didn't eat regular meals at all. But there must be some adjustment needed to stop this constant hunger. Since I added more high density carb veg at M3, I sleep mostly through the night. I was waking about three or four in the morning, absolutely ravenous. 

We have some folks (one of our moderators, for sure) who eats 6 full sized meals in the days leading up to and of her period.  It's OK to eat, really. It's society and the constant barrage of marketing that equates hunger with virtue that tries to convince us that we are shameful or weak because we're eating.

Eat food.  Enough that you are feeling ok. I promise you that this won't last forever, but respect what your body is asking. Waking up at night starving isn't cravings or psychological hunger, it's true physiological hunger and should be respected. Eat more.  And don't compare yourself with anyone else, let alone a male with a high metabolism.  You do you.  We'll help!  :) xo

We have some folks (one of our moderators, for sure) who eats 6 full sized meals in the days leading up to and of her period.  It's OK to eat, really. It's society and the constant barrage of marketing that equates hunger with virtue that tries to convince us that we are shameful or weak because we're eating.

Eat food.  Enough that you are feeling ok. I promise you that this won't last forever, but respect what your body is asking. Waking up at night starving isn't cravings or psychological hunger, it's true physiological hunger and should be respected. Eat more.  And don't compare yourself with anyone else, let alone a male with a high metabolism.  You do you.  We'll help!   :) xo

Okay I will eat more often because I don't think I can eat more at meal time. I will have to eat between meals. I cooked a roast today that I can slice and have as protein with some olives between meals, will try that for a few days and see if it makes a difference. I also made baked kumara with coconut cream (like scalloped potatoes but only with kumara and coconut oil and cream), that should help. Will have some of that for breakfast as well as evening meal. 

Thanks so much for your help. I will try this for a week and see what happens. I certainly don't want to be gaining any weight, even if I am healing inside, I still want the outside to improve!

One thing, my hair and fingernails look great! 

Thanks again.

Hi

Yesterday I had a smoothie with an avocado, silver beet and 1/4 banana, using water of course. I was trying to think of an alternative for the banana but couldn't so used it, (today might try blueberries) any way I had that, ate it with a spoon and almost immediately I quit being hungry. It was before M3 but still ate M3 and slept soundly all night. I should say before that I was eating cold roast beef and it didn't even touch the sides, so don't know if it was the combination or the smoothie but the hunger just stopped. First time in a couple weeks. Couldn't believe how fast the hunger left--will have some of that for a couple days and see if that does it. I was thinking would have 1/2 avo smoothie in the morning and another late afternoon and see how it goes. 

So avo after formal breakfast and before formal dinner--I might become a hobbit.

I had such a good sleep too, until 0600 then went back to sleep for another 2+ hours! Went to bed just after 9pm so I definitely got my full 8 last night. More energetic this morning too. 

Thanks again.

Archived