Rationale behind eating within an hour after waking

LAS3024

I'm curious about the reason why we should eat within an hour after waking.  I have read the Whole30 book but don't remember reading that.  I am all for it but I usually eat just after an hour after waking- sometimes longer sometimes shorter- but I am open to change if this will make things better.  Does have tea with coconut milk count or does it mean eating my meal 1 within an hour after waking?

• Moderators

Eating within an hour of waking gets your hormones in order. Cortisol keeps rising until you eat, so in order to get your body into a proper hormonal routine, you need to tell it you're awake and moving around.  Tea doesn't count unfortunately, it's got to be eating.

You don't have to wait for the hour to end... you can eat five minutes after getting out of bed if you like... just try to get the food in within that first hour.

This rule is hard for me.  I have plenty of time, as I'm retired, but I enjoy my two or three cups of coffee while watching the morning news, and frankly, I'm just not really hungry that early.  Would having a cup of coffee blended with coconut oil help get things going?

• Administrators

This rule is hard for me.  I have plenty of time, as I'm retired, but I enjoy my two or three cups of coffee while watching the morning news, and frankly, I'm just not really hungry that early.  Would having a cup of coffee blended with coconut oil help get things going?

This is a hormonal issue, Georgia, and one that really should be corrected for optimal body function. No, the coffee and coconut oil would not do what you're hoping but since coffee is an appetite suppressant, it could be doing the opposite. Eat that breakfast and use your coffee as a "reward" when you're done. The news will still be on and the coffee will still be there after you've eaten. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I have read a few comments on the forum that said we shouldn't eat fruit in the am first thing. That is the only thing I can eat so far within an hour of waking up that I don't throw up. I should mention that I have had serious stomach issues and had surgery to repair/rebuild my stomach...but if it is hormonal...that doesn't matter.

• Moderators

Are you actually throwing up or do you feel nauseous... hormonal imbalance can definitely be the cause of feeling sick at the thought of food in the morning.

Were you told that one of the side effects of this surgery was that you would throw up in the morning?

The idea behind not eating fruit in the morning is that it can give you a sugar crash later on and trigger hunger all day.

Eating only fruit is not a template meal and while compliant is not going to get you the optimum results. The whole thing with eating within an hour is something many people have to work for but it's only a couple of days usually. Build yourself a template meal, eat as much as you can from around the plate and then pack it up and as soon as you can stomach it (not when you're hungry, but when you feel you can stomach it), eat more. It only takes a couple of days to get your body on the right track. You could do bland eggs, mashed potato, meatloaf, zoodles and sauce... it doesn't matter what it is, just make sure it's fat, protein and veg and you should start to feel better.

Smooth blended soups are also useful at the start, they digest a bit quicker. But it depends on whether there's any surgical issues too.

Did they give you any special guidelines?

Most people who have trouble eating in the morning are fine with hot tea or coffee, just not food.

Coffee suppresses the appetite and also messes with your hormones.

I moved mine to about 10am (previously would have had 2 cups between 6am and 9am), well after breakfast.

Once your hormones settle, you'll be hungry in the morning.

Not just nausea, I actually throw up. I was told this should go away...No guidelines for eating...just if something makes me throw up in 10 minutes... I cannot eat it or drink it. As my surgery was complicated and there are very few survivors usually after what happened to me..(Mortality rate is 87%) there isn't a lot of data...closest is the gastric bypass, but mine was different enough to be all on its own.  5 years later the morning nausea and vomiting is still present. Gastro docs blame MS, my MS doc says it has nothing to do with my MS. My regular doc tells me not to sweat it. I can't find the scientific research on this. I am hungry in the morning, I just cannot eat. Though each day through this I try to eat earlier and earlier....today is the first day I did not throw up breakfast. But it was 2 hours after I woke up that I was able to eat. I drink tea in the am..coffee never passes my lips on purpose...hate the stuff. What about broth...does that count as eating? Is there really a sugar free jello? I might be able to drink that or eat that.

Sugar-free Jello is sweetened with artificial sweeteners, so is not Whole 30 compliant.  

I would think, and I'm not a moderator, just someone who reads a lot on these forums, that the broth would be better than nothing.  It's not encouraged, as we're encouraged to get our nutrients from foods we can chew rather than drink (it's more satisfying), but in your case, maybe the broth would be a good beginning.  It's encouraging that you're able to eat earlier each day.

• Moderators

Not just nausea, I actually throw up. I was told this should go away...No guidelines for eating...just if something makes me throw up in 10 minutes... I cannot eat it or drink it. As my surgery was complicated and there are very few survivors usually after what happened to me..(Mortality rate is 87%) there isn't a lot of data...closest is the gastric bypass, but mine was different enough to be all on its own.  5 years later the morning nausea and vomiting is still present. Gastro docs blame MS, my MS doc says it has nothing to do with my MS. My regular doc tells me not to sweat it. I can't find the scientific research on this. I am hungry in the morning, I just cannot eat. Though each day through this I try to eat earlier and earlier....today is the first day I did not throw up breakfast. But it was 2 hours after I woke up that I was able to eat. I drink tea in the am..coffee never passes my lips on purpose...hate the stuff. What about broth...does that count as eating? Is there really a sugar free jello? I might be able to drink that or eat that.

Broth, especially if you're making your own, is really good to have -- it's got all kinds of nutrients, plus broth made from animal bones has collagen which is supposed to be good for healing the digestive system. It's not really a substitute for food, but maybe try it instead of your tea first thing. Maybe if the broth works well, you can start working on blended soups made from the broth, or egg drop soup made from it to get a little protein in. You can make broth from any animal bones -- I find chicken broth to have a lighter flavor which I enjoy more, but many people believe beef broth is even better for you. 

For your question about gelatin, there's unflavored gelatin, and there's also this collagen hydrolysate, which is gelatin that doesn't ever set up, so you can dissolve it in beverages to get extra collagen. 

Yay! Not throwing up breakfast is a huge victory! Take some time to celebrate a little today! :wub: 

I would highly recommend keeping a detailed food & life log (food, times, how you're feeling, medication dosages, exercise, any stresses, changes in routine etc). If you have a list of anything you currently think makes you throw up, it might be something we could identify some triggers from (things like FODMAPs are quite tricky). I have quite a complex health situation myself and there are also no special guidelines for me either, so I record as much as I can and review what works and what doesn't. In your situation you could probably write a book!

If you've never seen a functional naturopath, you might want to see if you can see one locally or work with one via Skype. You may have malabsorption issues or deficiencies (many people who have had stomach or gut surgery do) and some of these are very easy to treat. There are also some things which are particularly healing, but not commonly issued. I now take Vitamin K2 (very different from Vitamin K) after finding out it's given to babies just after birth and babies who don't get it have a much higher mortality rate. I'm trying to undo the damage from eating gluten for 35 years of my life, so I did a trial with Vitamin K2 and it makes a huge difference for me.

Eating within an hour of waking may not be as important for you if you're already hungry, for some people (breakfast skippers), there's high nausea and no hunger for quite a while after waking, this is because the hormones are off and your body doesn't really recognize you as being awake yet, so it's not "ready" for food (some people throw up because their body is having trouble with digestion early in the day). So don't pressure yourself to eat earlier if it's not working for you, your priority is keeping food in (not throwing up) and getting enough to eat and looking after your MS.

We're all a little different and for those of us with a complex stack of medical conditions to work with, we sometimes need to take note of things which may not apply as well for us (taking inappropriate supplements can make me sick, because some I can't process, so anything new I run through with my naturopath, sometimes we need to just test it and measure the outcome - because often there is no study that helps predict anything, the guinea pig is me, I can't assume what works for others will be the best fit for me and sometimes I try vitamins or minerals which have boosted healing in different kinds of medical studies, as long as they're low risk).

Thanks everyone. I needed that today. Today while breakfast went well. I threw up lunch- which was leftover dinner from last night. And when I went to eat Dinner BEFORE I even ate, I threw up!  So I have only had one egg, sweet potato hash (this time I did have ground pork in it). Right now I am choking down one of my pre surgical smoothie shakes without the milk and the protein powder as it has dairy in it.  I used coconut milk and frozen fruit. I don't think I will be able to get the whole thing down...but I need something. I have some bone broth cooking in the crock pot. I don't know - I am just chalking today off as a bad day. I stayed compliant but boy do I want saltines to help cut this nausea. I am hoping I don't have another blockage. 
The food book is a good idea. I used to keep a very detailed listing of what I ate, felt etc pre surgery for myself but the Docs just gave me blood transfusions and B12 shots to tide me over until my surgical date. LOL I was only urgent not yet an emergency as I wasn't passed out for more than 20 minutes at a time. It took 3 months for surgery after they diagnosed me properly. Insurance had to come on board - my surgery was historic as the first part was done with the cardiac robot a surgical team and cost (my insurance) over 2 Million. Course the insurance tried to not pay afterwards and I just said to them "okay I guess I will have to initiate a lawsuit against everyone who has seen me in the last year as I don't have that kind of money laying around." The insurance paid.

Well the breakfast is good news! What did you have for breakfast today? Do anything different?

If you've had B12 shots in the past and they have helped, you might want to add MTHFR on your next list of blood tests, as it is related to the B12 pathways in the body. Not sure if it has any special MS role though, which might rule out MTHFR.

Although it's not fun, it's actually good to know there are times when it's not what you just ate, as it can be other health issues too, beyond just what we're eating, or a more delayed reaction from food.

If you threw up a lot of food when you were getting ready to eat again, you might not be digesting what you've eaten and your body is noticing and sending it back for a fresh replacement as it can actually tell when food inside is "old".

Sometimes there are additives that can be irritants and we can tolerate a certain amount, but when we overfill the cup of tolerance, body says no (I can get this with some of the "thickener" type gums, some of which are compliant and usually in small amounts, but some products contain more than others by volume and if I have a bit of that product every day for a few days, it becomes too much).

If you start your own Whole30 log, please let me know, happy to help out with the experimenting stuff, it's hard when there's a lot of complexity.

In the links above, the green can one is easily added to liquids/drinks. Most people prefer the red one in some kind of jelly-ish state, even if it's just thickening a bone broth (it's only solid when cold).

I do have a food log online here but it isn't that detailed -not sure I can remember all the details to put into one post. But it is possible to write in a journal.  That's a good idea on the test. I am due for another round of blood work anyway to make sure the bleeding stopped and check my vitamin D levels and I will add that. Pineapple does help me with digestion, and I  I agree it is good to know it isn't always just the food. I have seen a naturopathic doctor in the past but she retired. I will check it out and see if anyone replaced her. 

If pineapple helps you, it contains an enzyme that's also in (or very similar to) kiwi fruit. They both prevent gelatin from setting and are used as marinades for protein as they soften it and break it down a bit.

You might want to clear it with your doctors first, but digestive enzymes might help you. They are quite different though and some people they don't agree with (just like pineapple and kiwi fruit), so be careful not to make yourself sick.

I find my food logging gets dodgier towards the end of my Whole30s now (as I feel better and more confident and I've done quite a few, I think sometimes I don't log the "boring" entries) and each one seems to get more erratic around half now :rolleyes: http://forum.whole30.com/topic/32940-aussie-whole30/ My last one's earlier entries are an example of a forum version, but my much older ones are better (entries every day for 30 days+), but they're too old for the search.

They're in another section of the forum. Your Whole30 Log > http://forum.whole30.com/forum/24-your-whole30-log/

And there's another section for post-Whole30 logs.

Archived