Starting October 1 2012

EmmaSthlm

Battling through hunger pangs and cravings at the moment (mmmmm......dark chocolate).

First 2 days were a success, though I'm certainly not feeling at the top of my game. Could not get over how poor my performance was at the gym yesterday! And despite getting 8+ hours of "good" sleep the last couple of nights, I feel tired and sluggish. THIS TOO SHALL PASS!

How is everyone doing out there?

Breakfast is proving to be the most difficult meal for me too. I love eggs, but I'm already getting a little bored with them.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting day 3 and about halfway through yesterday I was feeling those tugs to sugar, which started with a headache and feeling tired. So I drank a bunch of water and ate some nuts. I ran my dogs as normal this morning and was sluggish so I cut it short. So I am starting to feel it compared to day 1 where I felt fantastic. But I am committed to sticking with it. As far as breakfast goes, I do eggs and veggies but the other day I had a banana w/ almond butter and an apple and some almonds when I start to feel hungry again a bit later. Technically a bit of fruit for this plan but it works for me

Keep fighting! I feel this first week will be the toughest.

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh! I'm so annoyed with myself! Without thinking about it I grabbed beets off of the salad bar at work and after the second one went in my mouth I realized that they were pickled beets, which means sugar. There aren't words to describe how mad I was, especially after I had worked so hard to cook the right foods, bring my own salad dressing to work, etc. Sigh. So today is my new day 1. I'm trying to tell myself that at least the beets were the only "illegal substance" I've had the last three days and that there have to be some benefits to the changes I've made. I'll carry on and keep going! Making a shrimp curry tonight. Can't wait!

don't worry at least it was just beets and not blue cheese dressing! Forget about it and move on. Just finished a very long day at work and mananged to stick to it without getting too hungry. Actually felt cravings have diminished a bit but could have lied down quite easily at work. Anyway onwards and upwards. Thanks for the breakfast ideas all sound lovely! I gather the bacon is organic? V.hard to find any in N.Ireland. speak soon xo

@Fee -- that's too bad! I can only imagine how frustrating that must be. At least you were only 3 days in when this happened, rather than 3 weeks. I've caught myself mindlessly reaching for "illegal substances" more than once, but so far I haven't committed any crimes.

Your shrimp curry sounds yummy. Care to share your recipe?

@greysmrs I find myself wanting to grab something occasionally too. It only lasts a few minutes for me. Sparkling water is my savior. Other than that, I try to keep myself busy. It's harder at night for me, so I try to keep busy looking up recipes, cooking, cleaning, etc.

My struggles have been mood swings. One minute I'm feeling fantastic, the next minute I am a grumpy lunatic. My poor spouse:) He asked me last night if I wanted a hug, and I glared at him and said "not really." Then we both laughed hysterically. I think it's just my body going through withdrawals. It has gotten a little bit better each day, so I'm hanging in there!

@Jenn, I basically used the recipe in the "It Starts With Food" ebook. Really, really easy! I bought a giant bag of frozen fresh stir-fry veggies at Costco last weekend, so without thawing them I dumped a generous portion in a Ziploc bag, poured in some EVOO, shook them up, dumped them onto a cookie sheet and roasted them at 450 for about 30 minutes, stirring a few times along the way. Meanwhile I had a bag of frozen shrimp that I thawed and cooked in clarified butter. Put the shrimp and roasted veggies into the same pot, added two cans of coconut milk and a small container of green curry paste, simmered for about 10 minutes and it was done! My kids devoured it. There was some baby corn in the stir fry mix, but my kids gladly ate those for me. :) All four kids asked me to make it again, so it's definitely a winner! And I brought some of the leftovers for lunch today--no more darn beets! LOL

@greysmrs, I had my first chocolate craving last night as well. And I intentionally didn't watch the debates because I knew if I did my desire for a glass of wine might become overwhelming. :P

Happy Thursday, y'all!

Thai curries are really easy and can be modified to fit whatever you have on hand. I start with a big pot and add a can of coconut milk and a small jar of green curry paste, or a few tablespoons of red curry paste (much hotter). I let that simmer on low while I cut up the meat (usually chicken) and the 'hard' vegetables (the ones that take longer to cook, like carrots, onions, scallions, green beans, snap peas, etc.) Add those, stir, and simmer 10 minutes, while prepping up the 'soft' vegetables (cabbage, bok choy, mushrooms, snow peas, bamboo shoots, etc.). Cover and simmer another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, and you're done! Dinner is ready and all you have to clean up is one pot and a couple of cutting boards.

Forgot to add, you can throw in a couple of dashes of Thai fish sauce and/or some coconut aminos for a richer flavor.

I know the feeling. Monday we had training - which = cookies, cupcakes etc... so the left overs are in the break room right where I go for my water. :-( And today - some one was promoted so we are having cake! YIKES! I just went and bought a second lunch (salad) just to reinforce my commitment not to eat any cake!

We always have treats in the teacher workroom and when I started paleo in the spring it made me crazy! It really does get better, though. I very quickly started feeling so much better physically that I stopped having those cravings and the free treats continue to be pretty easy to resist. So hang in there, guys!

Modified an asian pork lettuce wraps recipe earlier this week that was fabulous. Whole30 recipes for the crockpot will be my salvation!

Ay! I bought some chocolate and cheese over lunch, stress impulse!! I haven't eaten it yet.

Stay strong. they are not as good as being compliant feels.

I know what you mean about being tempted. I went to y favorite health food store the other day not knowing it was Senior day. they always have fresh popped popcorn . Boy did it ever smell good. I got what I needed and hurried home.

I had my first "kill all the things" moment. I was cooking dinner and usually I have a glass of wine as I cook. I had been doing fine, but day 4 I felt myself getting more and more angry/grumpy. I looked at my husband and was like, "I need a glass of wine an dsugar STAT!" lol, needless to say I did not have any but I was NOT happy about it haha. Day 6 today, feeling much better. My stomach feels nice and flat and I can't wait for the cravings to die down. Today is better. I went to the grocery store last night to stock up for the week and I was appalled by how many things contain sugar! Kilbasa, most chiicken sausages, sausage. No wonder we have an obesity epidemic! It made me so mad and so much more determined to not consume sugar. I can't believe it. It's a conspiracy! haha Seriously though, there is no need for sugar in so many things.

I started on October 1 also. I planned for a week. I am approaching this "Whole30" the same way I approached quitting smoking 6.5 years ago. My motto then was "There is no such thing as one cigarette". My motto for Whole 30 is "Is it good/bad for me?" One think I have done is made some of the Master Recipes for the book "It Starts With Food". I portioned them, bagged them, and tossed in frig. They are for times when I get home late and starving so that I don't cheat; they are very fast. I solved most of my breakfast problems by making a large frittata; cutting into portions so they can be grabbed in the morning and heated up as soon as I get to work. This works well for me so far.

thechels, I could have written your post! I texted my husband yesterday evening and said I needed wine ASAP! Once he told me to go ahead and drink it I talked myself off the cliff. It's just such a habitual part of my evening. In my head a glass of wine = cooking for family & relaxation time.

Had to go out of town today and had to eat out. We went to a popular buffet chain and there was a decent amount of food my husband and I could eat--obviously lots more that we couldn't, but at least we had lots of fresh and grilled veggies and some really good grilled pork loined seasoned only with salt, pepper and rosemary. Had fresh strawberries for dessert while the kids ate all sorts of chocolate-dipped confections. Sigh.

granny2u, we've done the same thing concerning easy food prep. It does make life much easier to have portioned out servings of protein, much of it pre-cooked, ready to go at the start of the week. Grabbed some pre-cooked ground beef this morning and tossed it with some cooked, chopped sweet potatoes sprinkled with nutmeg and cinammon--fast, easy breakfast.

Where is everyone?! How are we all doing?? I am starting to come around the corner and feel really good. I have had a sleep issue where I suffer from exteme exhaustion. Long story short, 5+ years and 5,000+ tests and all I came back with was, "we know you're really tired, we just don't know why". Awesome. So I start to fall asleep while i'm working and have to go take my 15 min break, at which point I take a nap. Yes, I am able to sleep AND dream in 15 minutes. No I am not narcoleptic. Yesterday was the first time in years that I didn't have one spell of falling asleep! Could be a fluke, but we will see what happens today. I'd say that if I don't fall asleep today, it is not a coincidence. My natural path doc told me to do a special elimination diet years ago and I just wasn't in the right head space to be successful and disciplened enough to do it. It could have been the answer! If this works I will be psyched!

Hurray for sleep! I'm sleeping better as well. I'm still wanting to go to bed early, but I'm sleeping more soundly and once my feet hit the floor, I'm awake and ready to go as opposed to groggy and grumpy--well, I'm probably still grumpy, just not a morning person. ;)

I'm doing amazingly well. Still finding recipes I love. Had two crock pots going in my house yesterday, one with Whole30 Jerk Chicken and another with Chocolate Chili. My four kids and my husband gave both a thumbs up. Still really missing my glass of wine in the evenings, but I'm not sure that's going to go away in all honesty. It's more mentally ingrained as part of the rare "me time" that we parents so appreciate, so it's less about the sugar and more a mental trigger.

Loving the way my clothes are fitting these days. Loving the feeling of eating healthier. Loving the teachable moments for my kids. Loving the increased energy during the day.

Hey there! I was feeling great up until yesterday/today. I slept terribly last night have just been generally tired for the past 2 days now. Rather disappointing considering that I had been sleeping great and feeling a bit more energized the days prior. Not sure what happened or if I just haven't turned that corner yet, but I'm hanging in there. Definitely noticed that I'm not as hungry and not craving as many things as I used to. I still have my moments, but they are noticeably less.

My clothes are also fitting more comfortably! Would LOVE to drop a dress size, but that's not the reason why I'm doing the W30 (though I wouldn't be disappointed if it happened). I'm starting a crossfit class next week (never done it before!) and am looking forward to the physical challenge.

@Fee - I totally know where you're coming from re that one glass of wine in the evenings and it being more of a mental habit than anything sugar related.

Glad to hear everyone is doing well and keeping on!

Archived