Feedback

What am i doing wrong? I am ending up eating so many times !!!! I am preg and nausea so i cant eat too much in the AM

2 eggs

Banana

Chicken ground

Egg - 1 hard boiled

Sweet potato

Oil and olives

Lara bar - was on the go!

1 can of Salmon

25 Olives

Oil

Veggies

Veggies - 2 carrots, celery

ground Chicken

Oil

• Moderators

It's hard to tell your portion sizes from what you've listed here, but it could be a couple of things.

You may not be eating enough at your meals -- aim for 1-2 palm-sized portions of protein, 1-2 thumb-sized portions of fat, and 1-3 cups of vegetables at each meal, minimum. Again, it's hard to tell if you're doing this from what you've listed. Your breakfast is definitely small, but then I understand why that is if you're still feeling nauseated in the morning and aren't able to eat much. Try to add another egg and see if that helps, if that's possible for you. And you might try some fats other than just oil at the meals where that's the only fat listed. Avocado, olives, coconut flakes, occasionally nuts (but not too often, they can cause digestive issues). I'm guessing you're probably not doing mayo due to raw egg, but there are egg-free versions around, google AIP Whole30 mayo. Or order some -- Tessemae's makes one, as does Primal Kitchen -- I've never tried either of those personally, so can't recommend one over the other.

It could just also be that at this point in your pregnancy, your body needs the extra energy and nutrients from more food to use to grow a baby. 

A final thing that might be a factor -- some people report if they have fruit in the morning with breakfast, they are hungrier throughout the day. So, I know you don't want to eat in the morning, and may be having some trouble finding things that you're willing to eat, but maybe a banana is not the best choice. Maybe something like sweet potato would be a good compromise -- easy to eat, mild/sweet flavor that may not upset your stomach, but not quite the sugar hit of a banana. Obviously, if you feel up to some other vegetables instead, that's great, sweet potato just seems like something that's usually doable even when people aren't feeling great.

It's really based on what you're comfortable with. If you're comfortable with the eggs you can get, then go for it. I have been using my homemade mayo my whole pregnancy. Then again, I also "broke the rules" on what you can eat while pregnant when I went to Japan at 6 weeks and ate a bunch of nigiri sushi (obviously not on a Whole 30 at the time).

The risks with raw eggs are that they could be contaminated with bacteria. If they've been pasteurized or come from what you know are healthy chickens there is no reason that you can't eat raw egg (or a still-goopy yolk...yummy!) while you're pregnant. Eating a raw egg in the form of mayo slightly raises your chances of food poisoning, which can be worse while you're pregnant. However, that is an individual decision for you to make, not for someone to make for you.

Personally, I can get supermarket eggs that are from chickens raised in a national park here in Korea that aren't fed any antibiotics. The yolks are very bright orange and the eggs themselves are amazing. I have absolutely no issue making them into mayo and eating it, but I'm very careful not to let it get too old. If I'm going to make mayo I cluster several recipes for the same week that would all use it so I don't have leftovers more than 2 weeks old. I always do the sniff test (pregnant noses are like a hound dog's!) and if it smells the tiniest bit funny I throw it away. Obviously this is anecdotal, but I haven't had any issues with eating my mayo personally - no food poisoning and I'm at 39w2d today.

What I'm trying to say is...look at the pros and cons. Look at the actual chances that eating that food would cause you an issue (for a lot of them it's next to nothing, as long as you aren't stupid, i.e. eating a mayo-based saucy dish that's been sitting at room temperature for several hours) and make your own decision.

Archived