I've decided to move my Whole 30 to a separate post. Guess I was just feeling a little shy at first, not typical for me . . . Sooo, to keep things simple and concise:

My first 7 days of food logs are under Nan's Food Log in "Staring September 16". I did stay paleo compliant, I think . . . .This is Day 8.

Started out the 30 day Challenge feeling really good, very energetic, and then hit a wall I think on day 4 I think, tired, cranky, cravings setting in. Day 6 was probably the toughest if I remember correctly. Was jonesin' for a chocolate lava cake from WF's, major event.

And, I've run into some "issues" the last couple of days with lots of gas, some diarrhea and itching (just not quite ready to talk about where that itching is, it's at the end of the road so to speak . . . ;-D). Have struggled with dairy intolerance all my life, since an infant - could not digest my mother's breast milk - and according to her almost died . . .but still - based on Doctor's orders and my mom's insistence drank skim milk while growing up WTF, right? Always suffered with sugar cravings, was diagnosed with hypoglycemia in my 20's, and lots of problems with diarrhea and gas and IBS throughout my teens and twenties. Sound familiar to anyone? Enough history.

I woke up this morning, Day 8 with a slight headache. Am feeling somewhat fatigued, but more energetic than I have in a while.

I'm definitely committed for the Whole30 days or 60 days or whatever it takes. I want health more than I want a skinny body - and it's time for me to claim it.

I did sign up for the Whole30 Daily and looove the emails and support I get from them.

Not hungry yet today - just having my homemade coconut latte with cinnamon and looking forward to feeling better.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today I really took it easy. Ran some errands and did some prep work in the kitchen. I was just really tired, felt a little dizzy. After breakfast I just felt really full - like I couldn't stuff another fork full into my mouth. Unusual behavior for me ;)

I did get a crockpot loaded with the makings for some good old fashioned grass-fed beef bone broth. Really craving it today and figure it will help with my intestinal ah, distress . . ..

Today I ate:

Warm water with lemon juice

Green Tea

Left over spaghetti with grass-fed ground beef and spaghetti squash

Salad with a blood red orange, 1/2 avocado and a handful of sliced cherry tomatoes

coconut milk latte

Handful of grapes

Liver & onions sauteed in ghee (my farmer has the yummiest beef liver)

Steamed green beans

Again, I got really full during dinner - barely finished 4 oz of liver.

I plan on going for a long walk this evening, soaking in a hot tub with my fave bath salts and turning in early. I have a feeling I'm going to sleep really good tonight!

Day 9 and I'm hitting the road. Every week I take a road trip to Kenosha, WI to visit my Aunt Sally. Do you have an Aunt Sally? You know the one who babysat you when you were a kid while your mom & pop went out on a date. Well I had two, Aunt Sally and Aunt Alice.

Looove them to pieces! Truth be told, watching Alice's health deteriorate, following my mom's death, was the kick in the a** I needed to start getting my own house in order, if you know what I mean? The women I grew up with, the ones who loved me, cared for me and cheered me on are all gone, most of them due to complications from TypeII Diabetes. My mom had several debilitating strokes, died of dementia - same for her sisters, Alice, Bernice, Grace, Mimi, the list goes on.

Yep, I come from a long line of Danish, sweet tooth addicts. Nothing like Grandmas homemade cherry pies, Danish Apple Cinnamon Kringle . . . made with real butter and lard and fresh fruit and loaded with SUGAR. It was a tradition to have dessert at every meal followed by something salty, like a piece of ham.

Sally's the last of my mom's surviving sisters. We spend most of our time together going in and out of doctor's offices . . .

I'm packing my lunch again today - left over homemade spaghetti sauce with GF beef, spaghetti squash, leftover green beans, 2 all beef GF hot dogs, an apple and an avocado.

Sally wonders why I eat the way I do. Perhaps this week she'll see a difference in how the food I eat is helping me change the way I look and feel . . .my pants are a little looser all ready ;). Then again, she has macular degeneration and has lost most of her eyesight- like her sister, like my mom, soooo maybe not.

On a happier note, I am bringing her a care package today. Some GF chuck roast I threw in the crockpot last night with parsnips, carrots, onions and crushed tomatoes. Maybe it will be warm enough for us to picnic at our fave beach on Lake Michigan, like we used to - grab some sunshine, eat some real food and throw in a little walking on the pier . . .

Thanks for the encouragement Deb and Derval! And, we both had a great time today. We spent time on the beach at Lake Michigan, a little nippy, but just like I remembered it when I was a kid.

When we went to the grocery store, Sal actually asked me to read the labels on her fave frozen dinners. She had a lot of questions - I answered the ones I could and told her I'd find the answer to the ones I didn't know.

We spent more time in my fave aisle, the produce section, than we ever did before. She started feeling up the pumpkins and squashes (cause she can't see them very well) and actually bought a small spaghetti squash, plus some grapes, bananas and a small head of broccoli! All new stuff for her . . .She told me I was less cranky and stressed out, and that she liked me much better this way! We both agreed about that.

It was big fun sharing with her how I eat and why - we actually had a real conversation about it . . .very cool!

Today I ate:

coconut milk latte

2 GF beef hot dogs w/mustard

apple, 1/2 avocado & lime juice smushed together

spaghetti sauce w/GF ground beef

spaghetti squash

3 grilled chicken wings

smashed cauliflower w/ghee & garlic

Feeling sooo much better today - digestive problems are settling down - I think it may have been the eggs 'cause I haven't changed anything else. And, I really am much less anxious and hyper - feeling kinda in that "sweet spot", where every things just like its supposed to be . . .

Finally, a goodnight's sleep. Feeling so very good this morning.

Poured out my bone broth soup and ate the marrow in the bones - yum! Big plans to put together a chuck roast & veggies in my new crockpot. Looove this new addition to my kitchen.

I'm off to my WOD - kettle bells - to start with . . .then pop the roast into the crockpot with veggies - a long walk and scheduled meetings.

Holy s**t! It's Day 10 all ready?

Good morning, Nan. I'm glad I found you again. You are really an inspiration to me. To be able to stay on tract while visiting your Aunt Alice is great news. And I'm so glad you had a good time. Who knows...maybe you have changed her eating habits.

Glad the stomach problems have settled down. Me too.

I made Granola for breakfast today.

Really filling and totally compliant.I posted the recipe in the Recipe thread.

Check it out.

That sounds yummy, I loove granola. I will check it out.

And so, I'm back to digestive issues. This time I'm constipated, and if this is TMI stop here - itching like crazy. Energy level is still good, only started experiencing cravings when I started watching some TV this afternoon. Every other flippin' commercial is about food, chocolate this, oreos that . . . . had to turn off the TV and go for a short walk. I don't even like oreos, right?

Feeling much better now. Have a chuck roast in the crockpot and still holding my own.

Today I ate:

2 GF beef hot dogs with mustard

Green beans with melted ghee

Coconut milk latte

Chicken wings

Cucumber, tomato, avocado with lemon juice

Crockpot beef roast from Caveman Feasts -love this cookbook;)

Snacked on some grapes

Feeling a little heavy tonight, will be happy to get things moving again. Picked up a bunch of kale and plan to fix it for breakfast tomorrow morning. Chew, chew, chew your food. Kales a good one to practice that on, right?

Whew, goodnight Day 10. . .

Have I written about how much I love the Whole 30 daily emails? Day 11 focused on exercise and had all kinds of links to my fave workout - kettle bells. So cool!

I just downloaded an app for kettlebell workouts for under $3.00! Beats the cost of DVD's any day!

Have a lot of food ready to dish up today, so an easy day for menu planning. It's getting so much easier for me to stick with paleo now.

Still having an issue with constipation, but my tummy has settle down a little bit. I love being my own investigative scientist. Since I cut out eggs - I'm feeling much better. If things don't clear up in the next couple weeks - it's a perfect time of year to start eliminating some fruits.

Was feeling so good this morning after working out, wasn't at all hungry, so I left the house for my first meeting with just a banana. I forgot about a second meeting I'd scheduled . . .and boy did I hit a wall. Really bad planning on my part.

By the time I got home I was so hungry, I didn't know when to quit eating, I just kept stuffing my face with spaghetti sauce and veggies.

It could have been worse! I could have opted for the cupcakes my DH brought home yesterday. That would have been my usual behavior, but I didn't, that's the good news. Game changing moment for me :-0.

So, don't assume I won't get hungry cause I'm feeling satisfied now, check my schedule the night before, and never eat a sweet fruit like a banana by itself.

Today I ate:

Beef bone broth 1 cup

Coconut milk latte

Green tea

Banana

Spaghetti sauce with GF ground beef

Cauliflower and Mediterranean Mix veggies in ghee

crockpot chuck roast with sweet potato and carrots

avocado & tomatoes

I am still a little constipated (TMI?) but feeling much better about being able to make better food choices. I am really exhausted tonight. Goodnight to Day 11

Feeling a little tired today. Not sure why, I got at least 8 hours sleep last night. I use fitbit to record my sleeping patterns, seems to be pretty accurate.

Not really hungry either. So far today I ate:

Bone broth

Coconut milk latte

Crockpot chuck roast with carrots and sweet potatoes

1/2 avocado smushed with a banana and wild blueberries

Got the crockpot cranking again with sausage, carrots, cabbage, onions and apples.

What's really got my attention is that I'm not sneezing like I usually do this time of year and I'm not dealing with major sinus drainage down the back of my throat either. Liking that a lot!

Thanks Nancy. Same thing is happening for me, not with coffee (still like my coconut milk in it), but with the kinds of food I'm reaching for when I'm hungry. I look forward to eating a meal where before I used to be a major snack freak, a big time grazer.

I'm also beginning to feel when I'm hungry. I used to either be totally out of control hungry or I'd try to control when I should be hungry. Does that make any sense? My DH took the last of the cupcakes out for dessert tonight and I can honestly say I didn't care for any.

BTW the Cabbage and Sausage with Apples crockpot dish I made today was really good. My DH told me he likes this "diet" a lot. Too funny. I really don't feel like I'm on a diet, I love eating this way ;).

I finished my day with crockpot Cabbage, Sausage and Apple dish. Sooo good.

Here goes Nancy - I chopped up 1 sweet vidalia onion, couple of apples, 2 big carrots and 1/2 a head of cabbage, browned some pastured pork sausage (I suppose you could use any kind of sausage like polish sausage, etc.) I layered everything in the crockpot starting with the onion, then carrots, apples and layered the cabbage and sausage on top. I poured a mixture of bone broth and apple sauce over it, set it for 8 hours on low , that's it!

As for how my day is going today . . .better than last night. I woke up at 11pm with a killer headache. I never had a headache like that before. It was brutal.

I am not going to question why - I'm just going to keep moving forward. I feel great today. Worked out with some kettle bells, took a leisurely walk to my appointments and am looking forward to the weekend.

Day 13

My sister reminded on the phone today that I used to be the last one at the supper table. We had to finish everything on our plate back in the day. A real Leave It To Beaver Family, we were! I can't remember if I took my time eating because I didn't always like what we were eating, or if it was because I was just a slow eater. I do remember wishing I could finish so I wouldn't miss out on all the fun after supper.

My DH commented on my not being able to finish everything at supper last night - he was all ready finished - he asked me if I felt all right. I asked him why, he said "cause you usually finish eating before I do. Hmmmm, when he first made the comment I felt really anxious and almost picked up my fork to finish what was left, and really fast. Then I stopped, and thought for a minute and told him I was fine, I just piled on too much food and couldn't finish it. I asked him if he wanted it. Guess old habits die hard, right?

Today I ate:

coconut milk latte

green tea

crockpot cabbage, apple, sausage dish

blueberries, blackberries & a little coconut creme

chicken thighs

sautéed kale w/garlic

I just got Chrissy Gowers new book Paleo Slow Cooking, looking forward to trying out some new recipes.

So far I really like the sound of the recipes! Plus gorgeous photos. I'm going to try a creamy broccoli soup to start with and will be sure to let you know how I like/dislike it, Derval.

I am treating myself to a massage this morning, then off to pick up some staples at TJ's. All ready got the most beautiful head of broccoli, green beans, zucchini, pumpkin and spaghetti squash and 6 sweet potatoes,all organic, locally grown at the farmer's market early this morning. All this beautiful food for $19!

Tons of energy today. Feeling like I could leap tall buildings. Sorry, I am no way a Super Woman type, just couldn't resist . . .

I do know what you mean! That's the way I felt all day today, but couldn't express it as well as you have, mental clarity, I like that.

Really good day today, focused, energetic. We went out to dinner tonight, a place where we know the chef and he'll accomodate us. Soo, he made sure there was no dairy, no legume and no grain, sooo good! And, I had absolutely no tug of war with dessert, didn't want it didn't need - that's real freedom!

Today I ate:

Coconut Milk Latte

Green Tea

Honey Dew Melon

Crockpot Cabbage Sausage Apple dish

Coconut Creme Lara Bar

Orange

Salmon baked in Coconut Sauce w/pistachio nut crust

Sauteed Swiss Chard

Sweet Potato Mash

Small Green Salad w/Balsamic Vinegar & Olive Oil

Oh, and my digestive issues have serttled down too. Good night Day 14 . . .

OMG Day 15! And I am still going strong today. No cravings and have a crockpot full of shredded chicken with taco seasonings for a taco salad fo dinner tonight and lunch tomorrow. I actually enjoyed prepping all our veggies today and have some cauliflower rice ready to sauté, broccoli ready to pop into the crockpot tomorrow night for soup.

This whole planning ahead thing is getting easier . . .

Today I ate:

Coconut milk latte

Green tea

2 bratwurst

Sautéed spinach and garlic in ghee

Black berries

Crockpot shredded chicken In taco salad w/ avocado, onion, black olives, tomatoes, cubes, salsa dressing, romaine

Derval, the shredded chicken for taco salad came from Chrissy Gowers book. Had to make a few adjtments cause the TJ's salsa had sugar in it, so I changed it up with a WF organic mild salsa. Def a thumbs up!

Goodnight Day 15 . . .

I felt a shift today, I don't know how else to describe it. I had steady, calm energy today. I felt free from having to be in control of everything I put in my mouth, it's like I made those choices 16 days ago, and they're working. My mind is more quiet, I'm really listening to people, my aunt, my husband - I'm taking the time to really hear and feel, experience what is really going on around me. All that noise I used to pay attention to, can't eat that, don't eat this, exercise harder, longer - I'm too fat - I'm too tired - I don't want to - have to have this gadget, that vitamin, this supplement to make this work . . .just gone!

Had a great day with my aunt today. We got a lot done and had time to visit over lunch at her house. She's becoming more and more curious about what I eat and why I eat it. We've had some really great conversations about food, energy, health . . .

Today I ate:

bratwurst

coconut milk latte

orange

chicken thigh

left over spinach in garlic and ghee

blackberries

grilled white fish with lemon, ghee and garlic

green beans

Boy, am I going to be floral tomorrow - lots of garlic today, right?

I noticed I'm not eating as much, and I know when I'm full now. My jeans fit looser today, woo hoo! My tummy's feeling a lot better too and I'm having much better eliminations. Yes, that was plural . . .good, right?

Day 16 over and out, goodnight everyone!

Archived