• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Nancy.

Having a tough day today, just really tired and having lots of cravings - not a happy camper!

Today I ate:

coconut milk latte

green tea

turkey keilbasa sausage

left over green beans

apple, celery, 1/2 avocado and lime juice salad

bacon, shredded chicken, BA salad

Day 17 and cravings, really? Its 4:30pm here and I feel full. I just keep thinking about chocolate, ice cream, popcorn . . .I'm going to go re-read the Daily email about cravings.

What a ride this has been. Yesterday I felt on top of the world, totally in control, today I feel just the opposite.

I will be glad when Day 17 is over.

Feeling much better this morning. I slept for 9 hours + last night. I woke up a little groggy - after 10 minutes I felt a lot better.

The plan for the day is to do some gentle rebounding followed by a Tabata timed workout with kettle bells, pushups, situps, squats, dips . . . .

Plan to fire up the crockpot again today with a meatloaf "Fire Roasted Meatloaf" from Chrissy Gower's new book. My Hubby wants to use the broccoli the "regular" way, instead of the recipe I planned to make "Coconut Cream of Broccoli Soup" from the same book. Fine with me, there will be more broccoli and more time to experiment . . .

Off to see how everyone else is doing these days.

Today I ate:

turkey kielbasa

sweet potato w/ghee & cinnamon

coconut milk latte

fire roasted meatloaf

broccoli w/ghee

Not eating any fruit today has been a really good experiment. I haven't been as hungry, I filled up faster. I am crashing a little bit this evening - feeling a little tired. For the most part I had good energy today, no way up and no hitting a wall.

Feeling much better. Goodnight to Day 18! I can't believe it's Day 18.

Day 19

I am sooo exhausted this morning. We stayed up late and watched the debates last night, big mistake. I'm paying for it this morning.

Waiting for my first appt. this morning, then off to pick up a few things at the store. It's really easy to go to the grocery store these days. When I cleaned out our pantry, I made a decision to keep certain staples on hand, when they're low I replenish them. You'd think I'd have caught on to this concept a long time ago, guess I'm just a slow learner ;)

We have plenty of options today in the fridge ready to be warmed up for food today. I've stopped looking at breakfast, lunch and dinner like different entities to be eaten only at certain times of the day. I learned my lesson with waiting to satisfy hunger on day 17. I just eat when I'm hungry and try to make sure I have some kind of real food with me at all times.

A slow day today. After my appts, I went shopping and then came home had some lunch and took a nap.

Today I ate:

Green tea

Coconut milk latte

Shredded chicken taco salad

Avocado

Fire-roasted meatloaf

Broccoli

Apple w/sunflower butter

Just had to have some fruit this evening, so far my tummy's doing just fine. I'm really tired again this evening, even with the nap had this afternoon. jeans felt a little looser today!

No cravings today!

I tweaked this recipe a little bit Nancy. For the most part:

I chopped up 1 sweet vidalia onion, couple of apples, 2 big carrots and 1/2 a head of cabbage, browned some pastured pork sausage (I suppose you could use any kind of sausage like polish sausage, etc.) I layered everything in the crockpot starting with the onion, then carrots, apples and layered the cabbage and sausage on top. I poured a mixture of bone broth and apple sauce over it, set it for 8 hours on low , that's it

Working off a bit of a headache today and not happy about it. Not "happy about it" perhaps, because I still think I'm entitled to have instant results or gratification while adhering to the Whole30 lifestyle. That sense of entitlement and impatience are characteristics I believe a person can change, right? That's what I'm working towards, accepting it for what it is today and then moving forward to continue to create the optimum outcome, fewer and less severe headaches, then who knows, maybe no headaches.

Busy morning this morning. I have a presentation at 9:00am and again at 10:30am - then computer stuff - then laundry. I love clean clothes, but I really dislike having to clean them every week. ;).

WooHoo! Day 20.

It was really cold here today! It's an adjustment from all the warm weather we've been having. The leaves are really turning now-so pretty.

Another good day today. My headache went away as soon as I had something to eat. I'm finding my appetite varying from day to day. Today I was good with smaller quantities of food, and had that sense of knowing when I was full

Today I ate:

Coconut milk latte

Black tea

Pastrami slices with slice of avocado rolled up inside

Green beans

Fire-roasted meat loaf

Broccoli

Day 21 - I feel fantastic!

Today I'm headed north to McHenry, IL. I've been invited to make a presentation at an all women's meeting. I'm nervous, you bet - but I'm excited too. Lots of these folks I haven't seen in a while and . . .the really cool part is as a presenter, I can attend all the other presentations with no fee attached. Nice, right?

I'm packin', food that is, don't want to be caught hungry with no "real" food in sight to chomp down on.

My lunch bot will contain:

pastrami slices

avocado

left over fire-roasted meatloaf

coleslaw

Thanks Jenny. I don't feel like super woman tonight, but I sure am pleased with the fact I did not want any of the junk that was hanging out, cookies, candy, cake, I hadn't seem that much sugar on a buffet table in a while . . .So glad I packed my own food.

I was surprised that no one seemed to care or was the least bit curious that I was eating food I'd brought myself. I won't complain about it though.

The only things I'd add to my food log today are:

Some strawberries

Apple

I am sooo ready for sleep.

Day 21 done. It's been 3 weeks?

Hi! Just caught up on you some-- you sound really good overall! It's awesome to feel that shift isn't... not to be controlled by food, to feel that calmness. My energy when I'm fat adapted is a different energy... a constant, steady purr instead of wild ups and downs.

Day 22

Yes it is! Hmmm, I had no idea that that's what was/is happening for me. I would have thought becoming a "fat burner" would take longer for someone like me. I've been a carboholic all my life - saying no to chocolate just was not in my vocabulary.

I sort of chugged along today and took my time doing everything, grocery shopping & food prep. I would have normally divided up these chores between Saturday and Sunday. So glad I still have some food prepared because that was one item I wasn't able to get to, yet.

Tomorrow is my day in Kenosha with Sally - so I plan to thaw out the last whole chicken we have in the freezer and have my Hubby grill it tomorrow afternoon. I can make some chicken salad out of the leftovers for lunch Tuesday. I got called in to work all day Tuesday at an office I sub at from time to time.

Beautiful day here again today. We're getting some gorgeous colors now that we're getting more rain with sunshine. Went for a long walk late this afternoon and took some pics.

Today I ate:

sauteed spinach w/garlic

grass fed beef bratwurst

fire-roasted meat loaf

sweet potato

BA Salad with radishes, onions, avocado, olives, tomatoes, cucumbers, micro greens

Olive oil and vinegar dressing

It's been a long day and I'm ready to go snuggle my cats and my DH.

Day 23

Had a good visit with my Aunt today. We went and looked at flat screen TVs. Unbelievable how many different kinds there are, their selling points, how much they cost and why.

I kinda feel like I'm coming down with something, sneezing and runny nose, a little tired. Early to bed for me tonight!

Today I ate

coconut milk latte

GF beef bratwurst

Blackberries

fire-roaster meatloaf

avocado, cucumber, radish, tomato and salsa salad

roasted chicken breast

broccoli

Day 24

Looong day at work. I am definitely not cut out for sitting at a desk 8 hours a day. I am grateful for the income, but I really much more enjoy our business - and am looking forward to having the next 3 days to focus on it ;).

Sitting still all day makes me tired!

Today I ate:

grilled chicken breast

broccoli

avocado

apple

lime juice

green olives

GF veal bratwurst

sauteed kale w/onions

Tomorrow will be the first morning I will have time to go for a long walk - I can't wait - it's been about 40 to 50 degrees, and partly sunny - the leaves are really gorgeous - and I need some wide open spaces after my day today.

Day 25

I decided to do a Functional Adrenal Stress test and may be following up with an MRT Food Sensitivity test. If nothing else the last 25 days has taught me a lot about how my body responds to food. The discovery that I may be sensitive to eggs was a real eye opener. When I eliminated them entirely, my digestive issues settled down.

Going through the Whole30 has taught me that I can commit to eating foods specifically designed to improve my health markers. I used to be about losing weight, that used to be my motivation, even though I would claim it was about getting healthier. It feels so good to feel really good!

So, I am on a quest to determine what else I can do to move forward to feel better, hence the testing . . .

Today's all ready becoming a challenge - I can't have any caffeine, coffee, tea, etc. I started cutting back Sunday, but it wasn't soon enough. I am working on a caffeine headache for sure. I chose today to do this test because I don't have anything on my calendar, no appointments, just working from home.

I do plan on taking a long walk this morning - really looking forward to that.

Here's to health and to experiments . . .

Never try to decaffeinate yourself overnight, whoa - what a headache - I ended up going to bed around 3pm, and woke up at 9pm to take my last test and back to bed. I missed writing in my journal . . .

Yesterday I ate:

2 GF beef bratwurst

broccoli

apple

grilled chicken breast

I had absolutely no appetite yesterday. And yes, my walk was great, it went downhill from there.

Day 26

I'm quietly enjoying a cuppa - black tea and hoping it will relieve the dull ache in the center of my head. Lots to do today and lots to think about - should I or shouldn't I give up my coffee? It is powerful stuff.

Well that's that, decision made. I nursed my morning coconut milk latte like it was my last drink on earth. It was heaven .

I loooove coffee!

Finally, lots of good energy today. Beautiful outside. Got our laundry done, prepped some veggies for Chocolate Chili for tomorrow..

Today I ate:

Stir fried chicken, onions, sweet peppers, mushrooms in chili tomato sauce

Coconut milk latte

Black tea

Bacon

Chicken wings

Green beans

That's all for Day 26.

Hi Nan...I am curious.

Why did you decide to give up caffeine if you like your coffee so much?

I don't think I could do that. Since I bought my Keurig coffee maker I have two cups every morning.

I made the Primal Non-Dairy Creamer and that makes the coffee delicious.

Hi Nan...I am curious.

Why did you decide to give up caffeine if you like your coffee so much?

I don't think I could do that. Since I bought my Keurig coffee maker I have two cups every morning.

I made the Primal Non-Dairy Creamer and that makes the coffee delicious.

Day 27

Good question Nancy. I did it for a day, absolutely no caffeine from any source, tea, coffee, etc. to take a Functional Adrenal Test. I talked about in a previous post. In order to obtain accurate results, the test does not allow for any caffeine.

I've been wanting to know if I suffer from "Adrenal Burnout" for a while now. I used to hit a really low slump right after lunch. Since doing the Whole30 I don't find myself hitting that slump like I used to, but am still having some trouble with sleeping through the night. Some nights I do, some nights I don't. I still get hot flashes at night too - post menopausal issues. There are times throughout the day I get hot flashes too. Again not as frequently as I used to, but they are still a nuisance.

Sean Croxton at Underground Wellness (on iTunes - Blog Talk Radio) interviewed Reed Davis recently about testing for hormones, adrenal insufficiency, etc. Reed Davis has a website called Functional Diagnostic Nutrition. I listen to almost all of Sean's broadcasts because I find them interesting and informative.

AND . . . since committing to Whole30, I'm looking at areas in my life where I have some addictive habits that may or may not be serving me well. Caffeine is one of those areas.

Ironically, the Whole30 Daily this morning was about assessing other areas of our lives that we could commit to changing for another 30 days, like killing the TV for 30 days (liked that one), communicating better and more frequently with a family member, going caffeine free for 30 days.

I hope that answered your question Nancy. This should be Day 28 for you, right? You are such an inspiration for me and I'm sure many other people who follow your Whole30 log. Whether you know it or not, you helped me through some rough patches these past 27 days ;). Thank you Nancy!

Sooo excited, making Melissa's Chocolate Chili today.

Did some kettle bell swinging yesterday and weight training - today I plan to take another long walk. I'm noticing my muscles and my joints are noticeably less achey when I walk now or when I sit still for any length of time and then stand up. I'm actually starting to see some definition in my arms and shoulders, haven't seen that in a while . . .Can't wait for day 30 to measure myself and take some after pics ;).

Archived