Whole 30 in France

Hdcline

Bonjour! I am an American living in France and am currently on Day 13 of my first W30. I'm having a hard time finding compliant foods beyond the obvious fresh produce and some limited proteins. The language barrier might be part of the problem, but I can't seem to find complaint butter to make into ghee or broth without sugar or ground mustard powder! And that's just to name a few. :). Is there anyone who has done W30 in another country and has some advice? Thanks so much!!

• Moderators

You can make ghee or clarified butter with any real butter.

Finding compliant broth is difficult in the United States. I started making my own by stewing a whole chicken once per week. I save all the liquid I cook the chicken in and it is a great broth. You can use chicken broth in place of beef broth most of the time with no problems.

I assume you are looking for mustard powder to make mayonnaise. You can use another powder. I typically make mayonnaise with salt and yellow Jamaican curry powder. I have made it with a variety of curry powders over the years. I have used garlic powder instead of mustard powder. 

Hi there! I am Spanish living in Barcelona, now in day 21 of my Whole30. I have lived short periods in the US and I guess I understand what you feel sorting out what to eat because I felt the other way round overseas! It took me ages to go to the supermarket, and I couldn t believe there were 15 choices for mayo, 5 for ketchup or 10 for crisps .

My whole30 so far is going good - it is true that I don t even consider mayo (if i am not making it at home) or mustard. I am eating more "pure" (less ingredients) meals, so far so good. Food is not that different in Fr vs Sp, if i can help you please let me know.

Thank you for your responses! Tom, I was under the impression that I had to use organic/grass-fed butter in order to make ghee. I would love if that is not the case!! And I'm so happy to know I can use other powders for mayo! Also good know I can substitute chicken for beef broth.

Elena, you understand! :). Thank goodness for Google Translate!! I'm loving living here but he language barrier can make it difficult when looking for things. I have been so surprised at the lack of variety but that's because I've always only seen American grocery stores. :). Do you knew if coconut or almond flour is sold here? And it just occurred to me I could check the butchers for ground chicken or turkey.

Thanks!

Hi there! I don t think coconut flour is easy to find, but I am sure you can get almound flour - there are many french recipies which use it.

It will also depend on where in France you live: you d find everything in Paris, smaller places can be harder. Good luck!

• Moderators

Thank you for your responses! Tom, I was under the impression that I had to use organic/grass-fed butter in order to make ghee. I would love if that is not the case!! And I'm so happy to know I can use other powders for mayo! Also good know I can substitute chicken for beef broth.

Elena, you understand! :). Thank goodness for Google Translate!! I'm loving living here but he language barrier can make it difficult when looking for things. I have been so surprised at the lack of variety but that's because I've always only seen American grocery stores. :). Do you knew if coconut or almond flour is sold here? And it just occurred to me I could check the butchers for ground chicken or turkey.

Thanks!

Organic/grass fed is ideal -- but that's also from the perspective of being in the US. I'm guessing that in France, they don't have quite the same dairy industry we do here, so it's likely butter you find there is better quality than what we have here anyway. 

For the mayo, if you want the tang of mustard in it, you can use prepared mustard instead of dried/ground mustard. Try different things in different batches, see what you like. This is the method for making mayo I use -- she also discusses different flavors you could try in it. 

You can actually make almond or coconut flour. It's just ground up almonds or coconut. Google for instructions. Might be more cost effective, no more than you'll probably use on a Whole30.

Bit late responding to this thread, but I live in Belgium so that's right next door to where you're at Hdcline. Also, I do speak French (native Dutch speaker though) so if you need any specific translations let me know!

As for ghee - I order it online, google helped me find an online shop in the Netherlands that sells pure ghee (€6 per jar mind you, but worth it for the convenience). You can make almond flower yourself and at the same time make almond milk (so delicious!) from fresh almonds and water (recipe via google).

Archived