Last meal "several hours before bedtime"

Today is day 6 of my first Whole30, and all-in-all I'm doing great.  Everyone here has been very helpful in helping me to understand the plan, and I'm shocked that I can actually eat only three meals a day with no snacks and not be hungry in between.

My question is about the rule (or maybe it's just a suggestion?) that we stop eating several hours before bedtime.  That's simply impossible for me, unless I cook and eat separately from my husband, which I don't want to do....even for only 30 days.  We have dinner at 7, and are generally in bed by 10;  sometimes I can't keep my eyes open past 9. 

Is this a dealbreaker?

• Moderators

The closer you eat to bedtime, the more likely you are to experience disturbances in your sleep. When I am running late and eat just an hour before bedtime, I usually sleep soundly for 3-4 hours and then wake up and need about an hour to get settled again. 

Allowing several hours between your last meal and bedtime is a recommendation to make sure your meal does not erode your sleep quality. Some people are less sensitive to this issue and some more. Whatever works for you is okay.

The closer you eat to bedtime, the more likely you are to experience disturbances in your sleep. When I am running late and eat just an hour before bedtime, I usually sleep soundly for 3-4 hours and then wake up and need about an hour to get settled again. 

Allowing several hours between your last meal and bedtime is a recommendation to make sure your meal does not erode your sleep quality. Some people are less sensitive to this issue and some more. Whatever works for you if okay.

Very interesting!  Maybe I can talk hubby into eating just a bit earlier, as I never really sleep well.  Thanks for the response, especially the explanation of the reasoning.

Archived