Needing support

Hello- I am finding myself having a bit of a pity party, and I need to remind myself why I am doing this, and that it will work, and that it is for 30 days. I am on day 11. I am tired, and havent done any real exercise. I feel slug like.  my primary reason is to lose weight, so not stepping on the scale is hard. I would like feedback. I am the only whole30 adventurer in my house, in my world. I do all the cooking, and shopping, so cleaned out the contraband and set some food boundaries. Which husband has ignored and brought ice cream and scones. . I would like someone to do this with, to cook with me, to show enthusiasm over the meals.I have several chronic illness( fibro, and type 2 diabetes, and anxiety.) the doctors told me that I use food to self medicate.  I just know that I want to eat, and eat and not spinach. It's really hard to binge on a whole30 complaint salad. 

I would love encouragement, or to hear from veterans. 

Find some distractions, pronto.   What kind of music do you like?  Music is great for the brain and it's being used in all kinds of therapies.  You can use music for a dose of self-encouragement.   I use it daily.  

Change everything up.  Even simple things like combing your hair, brushing your teeth..start doing that with your opposite hand.  Those simple activities will help you break out of old habits.

You can do it all alone.  Singletons and many married have to motivate themselves.

Do you like movies?  You can get your yoga mat out while a movie is on and do some deep stretching.  Build up to walking 30 minutes a day...start out with 10 minutes and go 3 times aday.

In some cases walking can be as effective as running. Scientists at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory in California, found that brisk walking reduces the risk of heart disease.  They observed participants aged between 18 and 80 over a six-year period and found that walking reduced the risk of heart disease by 9.3%.

I have a solution for that desire to hop on the scale.  Don't do it.   When your 30 days are over...I'll let you in on a secret.  

This is for you and I guarantee that it will cheer you up.   Turn your music on and dance yourself happy.

• Moderators

. I would like someone to do this with, to cook with me, to show enthusiasm over the meals.

Hi, mrskateduvall, I'm sorry to hear you're having a rough time. This sentence in particular stood out to me, and made me wonder -- what kinds of foods are you cooking? Are you making recipes that someone could be enthusiastic about, but people in your household are just not the type to care about food? There are such people (at least, I've heard that there are, I'm definitely not one), so maybe that's what it is, and if that's the case, you're probably not ever going to get enthusiasm from them. If that's what it is, you'll need to readjust your expectations, or you're never going to be happy about the situation. On the other hand, many of us who come here from a background of restrictive dieting get into a diet mindset, and feel like we have to suffer through our food for it to be healthy (I can't even begin to tell you how much dry grilled chicken breast and steamed broccoli with a carefully measured tablespoon of lemon juice I've eaten in my lifetime). That's just not the case. There are plenty of amazingly tasty Whole30 compliant recipes out there, so if you haven't already, start looking for some and see if you can get your family more enthusiastic. Even if they never embrace this completely, even if they never show any enthusiasm, you'll be eating tasty food, and that's a good thing. 

Meadowlily had some great suggestions too, about walking or doing yoga -- really, whatever activity you can do and enjoy. Dance around the living room if it makes you happy.  Get out in the sunshine when you can. I'm really not outdoorsy, but notice that even just going outside for 10 minutes while the sun is shining makes a difference in my mood.

Archived