Jan. 18, 2016 Start Date

Audabee

I started on the 12th, but my group isn't very active, so I'd like to hang out here for awhile. I like your conversations here.

This is my second W30 (Jan 2015 was my other). I managed to stay pretty fit for most of the year after my last one. I stayed off of sugar and wheat, but re-introduced most other whole foods, like corn, beans, and rice. The holidays changed everything. This time around, after 7 days, I already feel great. I'm not sure I can call this a challenge. I'm eating 3 very good meals and not craving between meals. I'm not starving at all. My only challenge is keeping up with groceries and cooking. As mentioned previously, cooking isn't too much trouble if using slow-cookers and thinking ahead. It gets easier over time. Because I feel so good, and I'm not letting my mind focus on cravings, it's hard for me to see how we so easily go back to bad diet decisions once the 30 days is over. I think the real trick is to recognize what the biggest offenders to staying healthy are and eliminating them. Period. I don't need soda ever. I don't need sugar. I don't need bread and wheat products. By simply eliminating sugar and wheat I indirectly eliminate scones, doughnuts, burger buns, soda, pasta, and anything else that makes stabilizing fitness difficult. I love pizza, but would I rather stay fit, or continue a trajectory toward avoidable medications in the future? During these 30 days my goal is to reprogram my mind away from harmful foods (primarily processed), and re-introduce real, whole, foods. We all know what happens when we go back to sugar in "moderation". Moderation will last a short time before I'm back to normal levels of use. That's my history anyway.

Good luck to you all. So far I really appreciate what I have seen and read here. I think this group is poised for success!!

I agree! This is an awesome group. I love coming to this forum and reading how everyone is doing! I have learned so much from all of you!

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Made it another day. I having a hard time falling asleep tonight, but otherwise today was a good day. I got hungry around 9pm, a few hours after dinner

, so I decided to watch a movie in my bed room (far away from the kitchen).  Hope everyone else had a successful day. Stay strong! 

Hi from France. 

I started on monday too. I've decided to give it a try to reduce inflammation in my body. 

I was feeling great until yesterday, but today I'm feeling sleepy and slow :)

I also think I underestimated the amount of time it takes to prepare everything. :D

Good morning everyone!  It's the start of Day 3 for me and I'm feeling great!  

My meeting last night was great!  It was only a small group of us this month and one friend knew I had been thinking about doing Whole30 so right at the start of the evening she asked me if I had started.  Everyone else wanted to know what it was so it gave me the chance to explain to everyone what I was doing so there was no "Why are you not eating?"  Everyone was just understanding and supportive.  One woman even said she is going to look into it to possibly do it herself.
Since i had eaten dinner before the meeting, I wasn't hungry and was perfectly happy sipping water while everyone else ate foods that I felt good about choosing not to indulge in.

Yesterday I did not feel very hungry all day.  I ate three meals and I ate until I felt full and satisfied, but the amount of food that I ate seemed very small - almost like it was not enough food.  Has that ever happened to anyone else?

Today is my son's 16th birthday and he wants to go to Five Guys Burgers for dinner.  A friend who is on her second round of Whole30 told me to get a burger in a lettuce wrap.  I wouldn't have thought of that, so now I'm looking forward to dinner! :)

@azcoolmom That sounds awesome! I think I will follow your lead and make soup for dinner tonight.

@Darnell707 Good for you! I was hungry after dinner last night too, which really made no sense since we had a big dinner. I think it was psychological. I drank water instead and that helped.

@ Bonnielv Welcome! I hope your day gets better!

@TracyA Yay! I have found that for the most part people are very supportive! I ordered a chicken burger without a bun at a local restaurant and the waitress suggested getting it in a lettuce wrap. I never would have thought of that either. It was actually really good! So that's what I do now. Happy birthday to your son! 16 is a big deal! Have fun!

Good luck on Day 4 everyone!

Audrey

Food log:

Wednesday morning I had eggs, bacon, potatoes, over lettuce; Lunch - thick lamb stew; Dinner - browned hamburger over bed of lettuce, with grated beet, sweet potato, potato, backed Brussels sprouts w/ bacon, balsamic vinaigrette - just a big awesome, meaty, salad. The way a salad should be.

This morning my usual eggs and sweet potatoes over lettuce. For lunch I'll have the last of the lamb stew.

I also started a whole chicken in the crock pot last night with potatoes, onions, butternut squash, spices, coconut milk, 2 cans chopped stewed tomatoes, and chopped cabbage. That will be for tonight's dinner and tomorrow's lunch.

So far (day 10 for me) this has been easy. I made a decision not to eat between meals, so I just don't think about it. Normally I think about food at all times - probably a mild eating disorder. I am also very active, running 35 miles/week + two gym classes per week, so one might think I would need more calories. In reality I'm just eating a lot at meal time to prevent between meal cravings. I have four eggs at breakfast and a BIG bowl of stew for lunch. No calorie counting here, just good clean food.

Happy Day 4 (or 3) to everyone!

Had veggie soup last night as well, my husband made it into an egg drop type soup, which was so good!!! Just had some for lunch today!

@ azcoolmom- tell that sugar dragon, you are not the boss of me!

@Darnell707- way to go and get away from the kitchen. I was "hungry" too, but think mine was just a craving, my mind playing tricks on me

@Bonnielv- welcome welcome to our group, hope you see some good NSV with your inflammation

@ TracyA- way to go, just check on how the 5 guys burgers are prepped nd cooked, I think they use peanut oil for their french fries, so no sure if they sneak any of that into their burgers at all.... but lettuce wraps are the best, I also like using tomato slices to snuggle my burgers between.

Have to say I am so glad that I decided to do another round of whole 30. I know that I need this kick in the pants ot get back on track for the year. I have 2 running goals this year and know that cleaning up my diet is a big part of it. Although the hardest part for all of my whole 30s has been being forgiving in my workouts during the first 2 weeks. I decided this year I am going to give myself a total rest from running/HIIT/ Stair/ weight training the first two weeks but continue with Dance (I teach and take classes). I had a busy year last year with running 3 Half Marathons and 2 10Ks within 8 weeks, so I think a little break from training isn't a bad thing. 

Keep up the hard work!!! :)

Five Guys has a really good allergen guide too. (Watch out for the mushrooms!)

I've found I need to cook more food than I expect. I'm used to doing W30s living alone, and so I'm not used to cooking for 2 (or, making 4 servings at once, when I make dinner, so we have leftovers for lunch). I'm hungry in the afternoon -- yesterday I had to go get a salad from the salad bar (veggies + HBE + olive oil held me over till dinner). I think I'm going to have to start planning for a mid-afternoon mini meal, since my evening meals tend to be a little later than usual because my husband gets home an hour-plus after me.

Looking forward to my fancy tuna salad tonight.  ^_^

Five Guys has a really good allergen guide too. (Watch out for the mushrooms!)

I've found I need to cook more food than I expect. I'm used to doing W30s living alone, and so I'm not used to cooking for 2 (or, making 4 servings at once, when I make dinner, so we have leftovers for lunch). I'm hungry in the afternoon -- yesterday I had to go get a salad from the salad bar (veggies + HBE + olive oil held me over till dinner). I think I'm going to have to start planning for a mid-afternoon mini meal, since my evening meals tend to be a little later than usual because my husband gets home an hour-plus after me.

Looking forward to my fancy tuna salad tonight.  ^_^

What kind of tuna do you use? We normally just bought Starkist..is that okay?

We have a late dinner as well(8ish),but I have a mini-meal between lunch and dinner because I exercise and nurse. Not sure if I need the mini-meal or not though...anyone have any thoughts?

• Administrators

What kind of tuna do you use? We normally just bought Starkist..is that okay?

We have a late dinner as well(8ish),but I have a mini-meal between lunch and dinner because I exercise and nurse. Not sure if I need the mini-meal or not though...anyone have any thoughts?

You probably do if you are nursing and exercising.  Most nursing mothers actually need 4 full meals a day plus mini-meals/snacks during the day.  If you are going 8 hours between lunch and dinner you should be having a mini meal, for sure, if not a full meal.

All the varieties of Starkist that I've seen (packed in water) have soy in them -- the vegetable broth has a soy protein in it.

I'm using Sustainable Seas brand tonight because it was on sale for cheaper than the other brand I normally buy, the Bumblebee white albacore in water. You can also check the ones packed in oil -- some varieties use olive oil and may be compliant.

• Administrators

Hey, thanks for posting this!!  So based on this chart, I'm thinking a burger with grilled onions, tomato and pickles in a lettuce wrap.  Will that be compliant?

That only lists allergens, not things like sugar, sulphites, carrageenan etc.  You still have to confirm that they are not using any non compliant ingredients.  This should be confirmed at the restaurant level to be absolutely sure.

Hey guys. Today was suppose to be a kill all things day but surprisingly I was level headed all day. I did get tired in the late afternoon. I also ate 5 small compliant meals today. I felt so hungry all day. Good thing my wife packed me a emergency meal on top of my regular daily food. Another day down, no slips no cheats. Bring it on day 5! We are all ready to take you down! 

Hey, Hey, it's a new day!  It's Day 4 for me and I am still feeling great!  I was a little tired on Days 1 and 2, but not bad.  I have not had really any ill-effects so far.  No moodiness, no cravings, no bloating.  So far, so good.

I have been working out in addition to doing Whole30 and I have found that I have plenty of energy to power through my workouts.

I have also realized that my daily (sometimes multiple times a day) struggle with indigestion has been non-existent since starting Whole30.  No more Tums for me!    No more waking up in the middle of the night because my indigestion was so bad I thought I would be sick!  That's a great thing!

I also realized yesterday that I think I am over-complicating things a bit.  I prepared for my first week by planning several recipes from the Whole30 book.  Those recipes call for a lot of ingredients.  I think I could cut way down on my shopping budget if I just stick to the basics...protein, veggies and healthy fat with a little fruit thrown in.  It doesn't have to be a recipe, but since I love to cook my brain automatically goes to recipes.  I think I will try this strategy for the next few days and see how that goes for me.

How is everyone feeling today?

Ok. 

So today is day 5 for me... 

I must say I feel a bit angrier than usual, but it's not that bad. Instead, I feel foggy, maybe because of all the nightmares I had last night. And I want to cry all the time... 

I don't know... My body just does not follow the whole30 timeline :D

Had cravings tonight...total habit, not hunger. Previously did most of my eating in the evenings. Trying to break those habits. Thankfully, not really sugar cravings. Day 4 yay!!

I had the same problem last night. I am struggling with not having snacks. It's not because I'm not eating enough at meals, it's completely a habit that I have to break.

• Administrators

Hey guys. Today was suppose to be a kill all things day but surprisingly I was level headed all day. I did get tired in the late afternoon. I also ate 5 small compliant meals today. I felt so hungry all day. Good thing my wife packed me a emergency meal on top of my regular daily food. Another day down, no slips no cheats. Bring it on day 5! We are all ready to take you down! 

Why are your meals small and why are you eating 5 of them? 

Have you seen the meal template?  Linked below in my signature.  You should be eating 1-2 palms of protein at each meal (or as many eggs as you can hold without dropping; for a grown man that should be at least 4-5).  Veggies should be around 2-3 cups, preferrably cooked.  Fat is 1-2 thumbs or half to whole avocado or heaping handfuls of olives.  Your meals should take you 4-5 hours between, comfortably.  If they do not, increase them.  You may be surprised how much food you need to eat in order to feel good.  You should not be hungry on Whole30 with the exception of just before your next meal.

If you are exercising, pre and post workout meals are in addition to the meals noted above.

Can you outline what you've been eating in the last few days so that we can help you tweak? Include portion sizes and timing, please.  If you are undereating you are sure to run up against exhaustion, mood swings, headaches, nausea, poor sleep etc.

We want you to feel awesome, let us help?  :)

Hi!  I started on Jan 19.  So 4 days in..   I've started and restarted a Whole30 many times, successfully finished 3.  So this is my 4th Whole30.  I'm pretty confident I can finish this one successfully.   My goal was to do a whole30 3 times a year..  to bring me back to healthy eating.   I've stuck to that pretty much.  The last Whole30 was in Sept.  So I waited a little longer  to start another one.  I had started to allow myself to eat whatever I wanted.   I usually try to stay gluten-free and dairy free.. but I even started to allow myself to eat dairy and gluten.  And of course when you allow yourself free reign  then all control goes out the window. LOL   (for me anyway)   The body starts to swell, clothes don't fit right, and the general unwell feeling starts.  So it was time for another whole30!

So the first day I was angry! and had the no sugar headache.  But then it went away and I've been great for the last 3 days.  Every time  I do a whole30 I'm always amazed how great I feel.  Like another poster said...  you don't feel like you're missing anything and wonder why we're so quick to jump to old habits and unhealthy eating after the end of the whole30.  I am guilty of that.  I think it's the  "moderation" part.  I can't remember who said it. but I totally agree...  there is no such thing as  moderation. LOL  not for me anyway.   It's a piece or two of chocolate everyday.  A brownie, a piece of blueberry pie..etc.......

The few things that have stuck is no scale.  I rarely get on a scale now... I used to do it all the time.  Once starting Whole30 journey over the years, the scale holds no importance for me.    Counting calories is also something I stopped doing.    I also stopped drinking coffee with cream and sugar.  It was gross when I tried it after my first whole30.  So I always drink it black, or for a treat with coconut milk.   I also have some kind of potato and eggs every morning, and rarely get tired of it.  I feel satiated and content after I've had my potato and eggs. lol   And for lunch is usually some kind of salad and protein.     So my mornings and lunch usually always start out whole30, but then the rest of the day and dinner is when I go off the rails.   So time to get back on track.

I've enjoyed everyone's posts!!   I will keep reading.  I'm not sure I'll be able to contribute much but I appreciate the support of the forums here.  Even if I usually just lurk.  :)  

Have a great day guys and gals!!

Kristina

Just joined/found this thread.  I started on Monday as well- which I found to be the most challenging day thus far as I was off of work and home all day.  But here I am on day 5, and going strong, no slips.  I planned a menu, cooked 80% of everything on Monday, and pinned the menu to my fridge for easy reference.

I decided to do Whole30 after my friend got midway thru hers and started sharing positive results/feelings.  I previously kept a pretty healthy diet (mostly paleo) but have to admit that I got VERY relaxed after having a baby since I was nursing all the time.  Now that is long over, and I am looking to just get a handle on things and not mindlessly eat triscuits when I get home from work at night : )

The 'no alcohol' rule is hardest for me.  I am slowly adjusting to eating bigger meals so I don't feel hungry in between- yesterday I felt hungry in the afternoon so I ate some cashews (twice, oops!).  This was after my lunch of steak, green beans, and a cucumber/tomato salad.

I end each evening with hot lemon water- which is really nice and settling!  Here's to heading into the weekend...!

Archived