Whole 30 newbie questions

LizgStoner

Hi!! My husband and I are on day 5 and are having a great experience so far. We do have a few questions, however.

1) going out to eat: if only clarified butter is compliant, how do we go out to eat knowing restaurants use butter while cooking? For example, if we wanted to go get a nice steak and veggies, is it ok if the steak has butter on it?

2) where is the best place to find compliant ham and bacon?

>is it ok if the steak has butter on it?

Nope. They either need to dry-grill it, or canola oil is allowed (reluctantly):

http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/(near top of page)

>2) where is the best place to find compliant ham and bacon?

Cured pork products are nigh-impossible to find compliant versions of. There are a few brands of bacon that people have found (search here on the forum), BUT regional differences abound, so you must always read the label of the package in your hand. Since bacon is considered a fat on Whole30 not a protein, it's easier for many to just forego it for the 30 days.

• Moderators

It is not okay if the steak has butter on it. You have to ask them to dry grill or grill in olive oil. Also ask about marinades, and be sure they understand not to add butter at the end of cooking either. Check out this pdf for some tips on dining out, and this article from Mel Joulwan has some good tips as well, although it's not quite as strict as a Whole30, it's just general paleo.

It's very hard to find ham with no sugar. It's getting easier to find bacon without it. There are a couple of brands listed in the Whole30 Approved list -- of those, you might be able to find Pederson's at a local Whole Foods or Sprouts, but read your labels as not all of their varieties are okay. Other brands would probably have to be ordered online.

• 2 weeks later...

I"m on Day 13 and have eaten out three times while doing the Whole30. I just followed the suggestions listed in the book and did my due diligence on the menu, as well as, calling the restaurant to ask questions. The key is to 1. know where you're going before hand 2. scour the menu for the items you think will be easiest for you to modify and 3. call in advance. I've worked in the restaurant industry before and if you call in the morning while they are prepping for the day, you'll have a better chance of getting all your questions answered since they aren't in the lunch or dinner rush. 

With that said, I simply let them know I have some dietary restrictions (don't use the term "allergies" if you don't really have them) and that I am planning on dining at their restaurant at [iNSERT TIME OF DAY]. I have found [iNSERT MENU ITEM HERE] on your menu and would like to speak to the chef on how he/she prepares it. 

Then ask how it's made, ask if you can make substitutions in order to make it Whole30 compliant for you.  Be specific in your requests, so you know what you are getting and that they understand what you need.  Make sure you get the name of the person and/or chef that helped you on the phone. In my experience, the restaurants have been very respectful. I even had the chef come to my table to personally ensure the order was taken correctly. 

When you get to the restaurant, make sure you let your server know when the drop the menu that you have dietary restrictions and that you spoke with the chef this morning. If you need to, bring a small note card with your item written on a card with dietary restriction at the top (I've done that and it helps). 

As long as you are polite and do your homework, it really can be a good experience!

Hello,   Just want to Verify if drinking a smoothie of :  Water,  1/4 cup dried coconut milk powder, kale, spinach, frozen blueberries and 1/2 orange is o.k. to have.   I feel it is by looking at the list of foods.   I will have 3 half-dollar size broiled chicken with it for my protein.  I am looking at label of the dairy free vegan package of the coconut milk powder.  Ingredients coconut milk, tapioca syrup, and sugar esters (plant based.)  ut oh,  I bet I failed now.

• Moderators

Hello,   Just want to Verify if drinking a smoothie of :  Water,  1/4 cup dried coconut milk powder, kale, spinach, frozen blueberries and 1/2 orange is o.k. to have.   I feel it is by looking at the list of foods.   I will have 3 half-dollar size broiled chicken with it for my protein.  I am looking at label of the dairy free vegan package of the coconut milk powder.  Ingredients coconut milk, tapioca syrup, and sugar esters (plant based.)  ut oh,  I bet I failed now.

The ingredients in the powdered coconut milk make it a no go for Whole30.

Also, the recommendation is to chew your food, not to drink smoothies.  Smoothies digest much faster than chewed food which can screw with your hormones and satiety signals.  3 half dollar sized pieces of broiled chicken doesn't sound like very much.

Have you seen the meal template (linked in my signature below).  Have a look at it and try and match every meal to the template.

Archived