New England Winter Produce

NorthernLilly

Anyone else in New England wishing this delayed start winter was already over so we can enjoy local produce with more options and a little cheaper? What are some of your favorite fruits and veggies to enjoy in the cold months?

I'm in Connecticut and there are a few winter farmers market here. Besides the root cellar (cold storage fruits and vegetables) sometimes I've gotten zucchini, summer squash, and an assortment of fresh, local greens. I find frozen vegs roast up pretty well - broccoli, cauliflower, green beans. But I sure am missing my summertime farmers markets!

I'm in Connecticut and there are a few winter farmers market here. Besides the root cellar (cold storage fruits and vegetables) sometimes I've gotten zucchini, summer squash, and an assortment of fresh, local greens. I find frozen vegs roast up pretty well - broccoli, cauliflower, green beans. But I sure am missing my summertime farmers markets!

I haven't made it to my local winter farmers market, yet this year. We're hopping to Saturday I'd the upcoming storm still stays later in the day. In the past it's been heavy on local products (breads, jellies, dog treats, etc) with local meats and the veggies tend to be more root veggies (understandable) but without the better prices of the summer/fall harvest season.

Are you near the Boston Public Market? Lots of options there. https://bostonpublicmarket.org

This time of year, butternut squash and pineapple are my favorite produce items.

Oh man, I wish I was closer. But not a bad idea, seeing it is year round, to make a road trip sometime. We've gone to Boston for fries once, why not the market? :-D I love Boston, just haven't been therein too long.

Oh man, I wish I was closer. But not a bad idea, seeing it is year round, to make a road trip sometime. We've gone to Boston for fries once, why not the market? :-D I love Boston, just haven't been therein too long.

If you have the flexibility to go Wed - Fri, it's less chaotic than visiting the market over the weekend.  It's in the same building as the Haymarket T station, at ground level. Totally worth a visit!

Archived