Nauseous after high fat meals

LAS3024

This morning im nauseous after a breakfast of 4 eggs, tomato, spinach, basil cooked in a little coconut oil and topped with 1/3 avocado. Also had tea with 1 tbsp coconut milk. The feeling is similar to being car sick or for me being pregnant. This has happened before with a fat filled egg breakfast and also after a snack of 2 tbsp coconut butter. I'm just assuming it's the fat as that's the correlation I'm seeing. Anyone else feel this way?

Yup.... today was my day #1 and I had almost an identical breakfast.... and then had to go to work.... and bleh. I have had this happen before... 

I normally follow a "low fat" diet and that is why I am doing Whole30. I know it is not the healthiest option for me. I have steadily gained weight (all in my tummy), I have an autoimmune disease and don't sleep well, so lack energy. Anytime I went from my "low fat" lifestyle to eating higher fat, I've had the nausea. I think my body has forgotten how to burn fat. So Whole30 is going to show it how! Tomorrow I am trying more veggies with eggs. I think that may help

Yes.

Try another compliant fat.  I'm the same way with coconut oil.   Try some avocado oil, macadamia nut oil, ev olive oil - light or dark, clarified butter/ghee.

I make/use clarified butter for drizzling over vege.  Macadamia nut oil has a mild taste, I cook my eggs in it when I'm out of compliant bacon.

I like to throw all my vege into the pan after my eggs are cooked.  MacNut oil doesn't scorch.

This nausea makes me want to quit. I'm sick of eggs and savory meals. I can usually eat eggs every morning but now I've eaten them for lunch sometimes as well. I miss having lentils and beans in the mix. I'm sick of so much animal protein. Sick of avocados. Sorry for the rant!

• Moderators

This nausea makes me want to quit. I'm sick of eggs and savory meals. I can usually eat eggs every morning but now I've eaten them for lunch sometimes as well. I miss having lentils and beans in the mix. I'm sick of so much animal protein. Sick of avocados. Sorry for the rant!

Did you want to post a few days of what you've been eating and we can see if there are some ways to liven it up?  Food boredom and cooking fatigue do happen to people on Whole30... what day are you on and do you normally eat a vegetarian diet?

I don't eat a vegetarian diet but I was a vegetarian for 10 years but I've eaten meat for about 6 years now. I typically eat a zucchini and sweet potato frittata 6 mornings a week, other morning eggs, potatoes, veg. I am making some new meals- Melissa's chicken hash, chocolate chili tonight from well fed, Chinese food dish from well fed 2, I also plan to make some sauces to go along with kale salad, steamed veg, and perfect grilled chicken which will be used for lunches. I think part of my struggle was the nausea that came from breakfast coupled with overdoing it on canned wild salmon for lunch...I've got some sardines for lunch today and look forward to the other chicken lunches. I need to make sure I only eat eggs once and I think I feel better with some starch rather than so much fat. Also, I think I'll cook with ghee some times. Thank you all! I'm feeling better just venting and having support. Not going to quit. Day 13.

• 1 month later...

I am on Day 13 today and also have been experiencing nausea since Day 9. I'm kind of encouraged that other people are experiencing it too (although sorry to hear you are nauseated!) because I was starting to get worried that I'm hurting myself. It started after eating Mexican Tuna Boats, and has barely abated. I currently can't imagine eating any foods I normally love, meat, sweet potatoes, veggies, eggs, avocado, etc. I haven't been able to touch my mayo since the tuna boats.

Read in some other threads that nausea could be caused by not eating enough. I've been making a full W30, Nom Nom Paleo, or Well Fed meal with a side every night, that includes a solid protein, fats, and as many veggies as I can get in. I'm eating to very full. It's hard for me to imagine that I'm not getting enough food.

Is this normal? Is there any scientific evidence suggesting that it's related to the body's switch from using simple sugars to more complex carbs, protein, and fats? Is it a sign of insulin resistance being reversed? (I have not been diagnosed with insulin resistance, but wouldn't be surprised if I was on the tipping point for it.) Could it be a sign that I am hurting myself?

I was just looking for some information on why nausea happens to help me get through this.

I'm in this camp also.   Although I haven't been a vegetarian, I'm really sick of meat and eggs and at Day 22, missing whole grains.  I've had issues with being plugged up this month although I eat a variety of things including some fish, nuts, fat (too much maybe for me), and plenty of veg and some fruit.  I had the Whole30 BBQ pork ribs 2 nights in a row, tasted pretty ok, but if I never see it again, it will be too soon.  I am concerned about eating so much meat after the whole 30.  I recently realized I am postponing breakfast  because of the thought of eggs or meat...this is odd for me who has been an overeater my whole life.  I wonder if the nausea is food related or thought related...

• 3 weeks later...

Someone suggested in another post that she had been experiencing nausea since Day 9 and started trying to make sure she was getting enough starchy veggies. She said it improved after paying more attention to those. I generally have nausea when I start W30 but this time has been better until now (Day 6). It's really hard to deal with since it makes me not want to eat anything and I (as margotron mentioned) know I've been eating enough. I actually kind of gag sometimes which is just flipping awful. I will try digestive enzymes - thank you! What kind do you take?

This is my 3rd Whole 30 (although it's been a couple of years since my last one) and I have found that Kombucha is a life-saver for me when it comes to nausea and digestive issues.  If you can stomach Kombucha, I'd recommend trying it out or attempting to get raw fermented foods into your diet.  I'm a big fan of the GT's brand gingerade kombucha and have 8oz every day with meal 1 which helps combat my nausea and keeps everything regular.  I should mention that I don't have a gallbladder which might be contributing my own issues, but I found that digestive enzymes were not the key for me.  Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!

Archived