Help!!! I'm about to start my 1st Whole30 EVER!

Elsy Garza

Hello everyone!  Well, I'm a newbie and the scary/exciting part is that I am very unfit and unhealthy and have been most of my life and want to desperately change that.  Yes, I want to lost weight, but more than that, I just want to be healthy!  I'll be reading over all the material here and I guess I'll be prepping over the next few days.  It'll be hard to totally clean out the fridge and pantry because I have a husband, 3 kids and 2 neighbor girls that I babysit every afternoon after school so I can't just get rid of everything.  I'm really good about staying away from unhealthy snacks, I LOVE fruits and veggies!!!!!  I don't think I'll have a hard time following the restrictions from the Whole30 plan except the sugar in my coffee and dairy.  I've tried similar plans on my own before without any results and I just can't figure out why haven't been able to lose any weight.  I've also worked out, drank more water, counted calories, my doctor checked my thyroid which was fine so she had no explanation for me.  I am an several medications for some things that I have going on that may be causing me to gain weight even when I eat healthy.  BUT..... I AM NOT GIVING UP!!!!!  I am going to give this a try with a positive mindset trusting the God is in control and has a great plan for me!  If any of you have any advice and/or encouragement for me, I would greatly appreciate it!!!!!!

Elsy G

• Moderators

Welcome and congrats on finding your new lifestyle!

It sounds like you're in a decent position to have some real success (if you already like veggies and you don't do snacks).

As far as weightloss, this isn't a 'weightloss diet'.  Lots of people do lose weight on it but the point is to get healthier, not skinnier ;)

It sounds like you've got some things going on (that you take medication for) that may be stressing your body and it could be that your body prioritizes dealing with these issues before dropping weight... I'm not sure what your conditions are... if you want to share that with us, there may be people that have experienced what you have...

One other thing... please don't count calories!

Well first I was told I have fibromyalgia due to overall chronic pain I have so I was put on a lot of pain and anxiety meds, also I've had a history of chronic migraines.  recently when I had some lab work done with a new doctor, my RA count was high which means I actually have either rheumatoid arthritis or lupus which could explain the overall pain so now I don't know if I do have fibromyalgia or not afterall.  I have also had chronic constipation my entire life so I'm on medication for that.

So.....to sum it all up....... as of right now.......  my current medications are:

Cymbalta (anti-depressant but prescribed as a pain reliever for me)

Amitiza (IBS with chronic constipation)

Topiramate (Chronic Migraine Prevention)

Flexeril (Muscle Relaxer-as needed)

Elsy G

• Moderators

Well first I was told I have fibromyalgia due to overall chronic pain I have so I was put on a lot of pain and anxiety meds, also I've had a history of chronic migraines.  recently when I had some lab work done with a new doctor, my RA count was high which means I actually have either rheumatoid arthritis or lupus which could explain the overall pain so now I don't know if I do have fibromyalgia or not afterall.  I have also had chronic constipation my entire life so I'm on medication for that.

So.....to sum it all up....... as of right now.......  my current medications are:

Cymbalta (anti-depressant but prescribed as a pain reliever for me)

Amitiza (IBS with chronic constipation)

Topiramate (Chronic Migraine Prevention)

Flexeril (Muscle Relaxer-as needed)

Elsy G

Okeedokee... you have a lot of things going!

I bet you dollars to non-compliant donuts that you will feel an overall improvement in your symptoms with this way of eating.  Please understand when you have this much going on in your body, it is not going to prioritize weightloss... and really, I should think that if your body prioritizes healing and you can reduce some medications and get relief from the pain, that you would be quite happy!

Many people need longer than 30 days on the elimination portion of the Whole30 in order to see relief (and weightloss), so please know that while this is no quick fix, I would really bet money that you'll start to feel better.

Please take a look at the meal template linked in my signature below as well as the rules and recommendations and do your level best to adhere to both... that will give you the best chance of feeling better and seeing results that will keep you motivated to keep going!

I started my Whole30 on Monday, the 18th as well. I, too, also have an autoimmune disease...ankylosing spondylitis. It can eventually fuse my spine, and has already fused my ribcage. I take immunosuppressants, which are types of chemo. I also take anti-inflammatories...which I found after day 2 I've not needed. I'm trying to see what feeds this evil disease. It's hereditary, so need to know for my kid's sake. We can do this! We need to do this!!

Archived