What's your favorite chicken soup recipe?

SamL

• Moderators

What do you like? Thai? Plain? Chunky? Smooth? Stew like or thin soup like?  It's pretty hard to screw up soup so I would just dump what I liked into the pot and keep tasting till it's good.

I put 2litres of broth in a pot, carrots, celery, onion, leeks, baby yukon gold potato and cut up roasted chicken.  Then in a teabag (or cheesecloth) I put chopped up ginger, tumeric and lemon grass.  Sometimes I put half a can of tomato sauce in to give it a richer taste.  Season to taste... 

• Administrators

This soup, perfect right now for cold and flu season too!  

http://www.foodrenegade.com/tom-kha-gai-thai-coconut-soup/

It's my favourite.  For more traditional chicken soups, if I'm feeling like I want it heartier, I'll start sprinkling potato flakes (instant mashed potatoes, just check to make sure it is just potato) until it's as "stewy" as I want it.

I know someone else posted this, but add some chopped tomatoes to the broth! It makes the flavor so much better. Also, in my last batch I added butternut squash with all the veggies and potatoes, but squash or sweet potatoes could give you a good flavor variety. I typically just do a "fridge dump" of all my veggies and whatever left over proteins I have in the fridge. 

Archived