Not Sleeping

Hi!

I'm on my last week of whole 30 and had it was going great at first. I was eating M1: Palm size of chicken, about 2 cups of broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots, half a banana and tbsp cashew butter. M2: the same, except instead of the cashew butter, I had half an avocado. M3: Same as M2, but no banana. I was also having a mini meal before bed of 1/2 palm of chicken and half tablespoon of nut butter. I wasn't sleeping very well and keep waking up at 4am.

This morning I had 3 whole eggs, 2 cups veggies, 2 tbsp cashew butter and half a banana. For M2, Palm sized chicken, 1.5 cups of veggies, half an avocado and 1 tbsp of cashew butter. I started eating more because I'm very tired and I can barely function at work. My stomach is not feeling good now and I feel like a walking zombie. Please help!

I'm 5'3 and female :)

• Moderators

I sleep better when I eat a serving of starchy veggies at meal 3 - sweet potatoes, butternut squash, plantains, rutabagas, parsnips, etc. Bananas do not work as well at providing necessary carbs and many people find eating carbs later in the day helps. 

It would be part of the  2 cups or addition to the 2 cups - whatever works best for you.

Also you are eating quite a bit of nut butter.  Nut butter can cause stomach disruptions. Especially when a lot of it is consumed.  Try to branch out on your fats - homemade mayo / dressing, olives, ghee, coconut milk, duck fat, lard, etc.....  Nuts and nut butters for me cause sleep disruptions - really.

Also is your broccoli and cauliflower cooked or is it raw? It might be possible that you are having some underlying gut disruptions and is causing your sleep to be disruptive.  Broccoli and Cauliflower, especially consumed in vast quantities, might be contributing to your upset stomach. Try some new vegetables, there are more vegetables out there outside of broccoli, cauliflower and carrots.  Try Bok Choy, or Collard Greens, or turnip or celery root..... A whole 30 is going to get awfully boring awfully quickly if you are eating the same thing over and over again.....

Also another possibility (and this one is NOT that common) avocado could be bothering you.  I personally have issues with avos. I'm not saying that this is it - but it could be a possibility.... Try making the above changes first - then - troubleshoot further if you need to. 

It is not uncommon for sleep to be a little disrupted in the beginning of your whole 30 - I don't know what day you are on.  The reason why sleep is potentially interrupted is because your hormones are busy adjusting.

That being said - if it bothers you having the SP in the evening - then play around with the timing of it and see what works for you.  

You also might benefit from taking a magnesium supplement - most people are magnesium deficient even when they follow a healthy eating plan. One of the side causes of being magnesium deficient is insomnia. The magnesium supplement that gets recommended around these parts is Natural Calm make sure if you do buy it you buy the unflavoured one.

The supplement is a powder.  And it's just magnesium citrate powder that dissolves in hot water.  And you control the amount.  I recommend starting off with maybe a 1/4 or 1/2 tsp.  Then increase by the 1/4 tsp.  

One of the side effects when you have taken too much is loose stool.

I don't have any caffeine, just food. I'm not stressed beyond wanting to sleep and be able to function at work again. I'm not sure how long I can be at work and not perform. I just feel wide awake at night now. My energy level is consistent. I was having ups and downs during the day when I was snacking and eating rice - I have always eaten relatively healthy, no junk food. I was also working out every night, but am waiting to be fully rested before I continue that.

• Moderators

I was also working out every night, but am waiting to be fully rested before I continue that.

I don't know if it would make a difference or not, but if this was your habit before, maybe some sort of activity at around that same time would help? Try something gentle -- walking, yoga, stretching -- not something super demanding, since you're already tired.

Are you eating your first meal within an hour of waking? That can help regulate cortisol levels which can affect sleep. Also, check out the tips in this article and see if they help at all.

• Moderators

Good approach not working out when you haven't slept enough.

A couple of things to try:

1. Do your workout in the morning, or at lunchtime. Evening workouts can be too stimulating.
  2. Choose a low key activity as Shannon suggested, like walking, gentle yoga (and not hot yoga) that doesn't get your heart rate up much.

See how that goes, and if you sleep better, start adding back more intensive exercise and reassess.

So my sleeping has definitely improved and I feel great during the day! However, sometimes I feel like I want a boost of energy and get this crazy sugar craving. I'm not sure if it is my body telling me I need carbs or not. Bananas give me headaches now and I feel so sick after eating sweet potatoes and squash. I get a migraine and a little stomach ache. Do I have to eliminate carbs from my diet? I thought you should have at least one serving of starchy veggies a day.

Yes - but some people do better without starchy veggies or on the lower side - everyone's different.  I could also depend on the type of starchy veggie.  For me types of squash give me horrible bloating and upset stomach.  There is a long list of starchy veggies that you can play around with - carrots, parsnips, celery root, turnips, rutabagas, jicama, plantains, beets...... Please do not think you are limited to squash and sweet potato.  Play around with things and see what works.

If you do find out that starchy veggies aren't really your friend feel free to play around with dropping them out - but one thing to remember for this is do not skimp on fats.  

Archived