Today is Day 2

TracyA

Hi everyone! This is my first post and my first time doing the Whole30.

I decided to start looking into this program about 2 weeks ago. As I was researching and learning I was easing myself into the program...having some Whole30 approved meals here and there and just generally trying to refrain from any foods that are not approved as much as possible.

I didn't want to officially start until I felt I truly understood the program.

Yesterday was my official Day 1.

Yesterday went great! I had made a shopping list based on a few recipes I found in the Whole30 book. I had shopped and I was ready with a plan.

This morning, I woke up and before I even got out of bed I thought about cheating and having my morning coffee with cream and sugar!

So, I will confess that I broke the rules and got on the scale. I will admit that I am still at the mindset of being motivated by progress. I had weighted myself on Monday morning (because that has always been my Weight Watchers weigh-in day and it has become a habit that I will have to break). When I got on the scale this morning [moderator edit to remove scale results as weighing is against the rules].

I happily skipped my coffee and am enjoying some leftover "Melissa's Chicken Hash" for breakfast.

I am going to try very hard to break my scale addiction and not weigh myself again for the duration of my Whole30, but I knew that if I saw results on that scale it would motivate me to keep going vs. quitting already on Day 2! I had to choose the lesser of the two evils. Can anyone else relate?

This is going to be a mentality challenge for me more than anything else. I just thought I would post here to introduce myself so that I can get some support along my journey!

If any of you who have done Whole30 before can relate to my mental challenge, any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

• Moderators

Here's one big problem with the scale -- weight fluctuates. Like, if you weighed yourself every two hours, you might get different weights throughout the day. Sometimes lower, sometimes higher. If you depend on that lower number to motivate you to keep going, what happens when you weigh yourself one day and the number has gone up? Does that mean you don't keep going because the program isn't working? That's not how this works. Read through this article about why you should just toss your scale.

If you need ideas of other ways to measure success, try this article.

Now, take your scale, give it to your spouse or parent or friend or neighbor and ask them to hide it from you for a month. 

I am a slave to the scale, like really bad.  I took the battery out of our scale and gave it to my daughter to hide so I wouldn't be tempted.  I had to go to the doctor in my first week and they told me my weight, I should have told them not to, but I didn't think they would, because they don't always.  I thought about the number a lot.

Then day 5 or 6 hit and my rosacea disappeared, my acne went away, my double chin was melting away before my eyes.  People were telling me how pretty I looked and how clear my eyes looked.  Day 8, my chronic rotator cuff pain was almost gone, I haven't been able to cross my arm in front of my chest for months and I can now.  Day 9, I zipped up some jeans easily that 2 weeks ago I had to lay in bed to zip.

I wondered about my weight a lot the first couple of days, I had an aha moment on day 6.  If I continued to fixate on what I thought my weight was doing, I was going to miss out on all the great NSVs.  I decided to start looking for NSVs, because there are so many of those and the weight thing is just one thing, that I don't know or can't control.

Take this time to be good to you, use this time to cleanse your body of toxins and your mind of bad habits.  I feel like when done right, this program slows you down a bit, giving you time to think. 

Be honest with yourself, you're the only one who can do this for you.  You deserve the best results.

Oh my gosh, Cheryl, thank you so much for your reply!  I love hearing that and I can't wait to start seeing those NSV's myself!  

I fully understand that weight fluctuates, which is why I am looking forward to seeing other, more concrete results as I continue on this journey, but for today, stepping on the scale worked to stop my thoughts of quitting and I will do whatever it takes to make it through each moment like that.  

• Administrators

Oh my gosh, Cheryl, thank you so much for your reply!  I love hearing that and I can't wait to start seeing those NSV's myself!  

I fully understand that weight fluctuates, which is why I am looking forward to seeing other, more concrete results as I continue on this journey, but for today, stepping on the scale worked to stop my thoughts of quitting and I will do whatever it takes to make it through each moment like that.  

The trouble with this, Tracy, is that one of these times, the scale is going to come in higher and that isn't going to help you not quit, it's just going to make it uncomfortable and cement the quitty-type thoughts.

If you think you're about to quit, call a friend, come on the forum, go to Youtube and watch Melissa Hartwig videos, click on her Instagram, anything to reinspire yourself.  Read success stories here on the forum, read the list of NSV's posted on the Whole30 blog and see how many you recognize for yourself.  Do anything besides use the scale to make a decision about this.

Thank you for the tips.  I don't plan to make a habit out of using the scale to get myself through the tough times.  It was just a decision that I made this morning, in the heat of the moment.....when you know better, you do better.  ;-)  Next time I'll be able to make a better choice.

Archived