mia18

I like to cook lunch for my husband and I on Sunday for the whole work week. We've been eating red potato as our carb and 1/4 - 1/2 avocado with some protein every day (except weekends). I was just wondering if eating about 2-3oz of potato 5x a week is too much starch? Can anyone suggest any substitutions for red potato (besides sweet potato). Potatoes are really easy to cook and they last kind of fresh until Friday so I'm looking for a carb that will stay/taste the same the whole week.  We need a carb dense side for our portein because we are both very active and we need lots of energy throughout the day. Thanks

• Administrators

I like to cook lunch for my husband and I on Sunday for the whole work week. We've been eating red potato as our carb and 1/4 - 1/2 avocado with some protein every day (except weekends). I was just wondering if eating about 2-3oz of potato 5x a week is too much starch? Can anyone suggest any substitutions for red potato (besides sweet potato). Potatoes are really easy to cook and they last kind of fresh until Friday so I'm looking for a carb that will stay/taste the same the whole week.  We need a carb dense side for our portein because we are both very active and we need lots of energy throughout the day. Thanks

It depends on your context and what your goals are.  Potatoes are pretty energy dense so if you have weight loss goals or are metabolically deranged, you probably need less than if you are a regular runner or weight lifter.  I have no idea how much 2-3 oz of potato is, how does that relate to the size of your fist?

That all said, we do recommend that folks include one fist sized serving of starchy veggie per day until they are underway and can test out their own personal carb needs.  Ladies nearing their period may need more than one serving or if you tend towards anxiety/depression, are excessively crabby, exhausted, headache etc, consider adding a bit more.

Options for starchy veggie are MANY and include: carrots, winter squash (butternut, acorn etc), sweet potatoes, rutabaga, turnips, parsnips, beets etc.  Branch out!

Archived