fried apples?

SamL

• Administrators

Are you putting it on top of meat like a condiment? Or wanting to eat roasted/stewed apples as a side dish? It's not your best choice, honestly. Roasting them is going to vastly increase their sweetness and dessert like quality.

• Moderators

Laura_juggles is right -- if you had it as part of a meal (pork chops topped with cinnamon apples, or even just cinnamon apples alongside your protein, veggies, and fat), it might be okay, but it is definitely going to be sweet, and bordering on a SWYPO dessert.

I'd be especially wary of having such a thing at breakfast. Many people report that if they have any fruit at breakfast, they are hungrier and more likely to crave sweets the rest of the day. You definitely wouldn't want to have it as your entire meal at breakfast, as it would really mess with your blood sugar levels. And if you're considering having it because you're used to/missing a sweet breakfast like cereal, donuts, pancakes, oatmeal, etc., I'd really strongly encourage you to reconsider and have something savory instead, to break that habit.

• Moderators

If you're having them with meat and additional veggies, that's fine. As always, do not let fruit take the place of our recommended 1 - 3 cups veggies at your meal.

I've made a meal like this (never more than half an apple, though) and enjoyed it. Plenty of meat, onion, spinach, and topped it with an egg -- very tasty. I would not do it everyday though.

Archived