Full moon start (this Sunday)

Christabel

Oy, where to start. I've been considering this for about a month, after a trip to an ENT for my chronic sinusitis was a total waste of a co-pay. Then Glenn Frey died of rheumatoid arthritis complications, which shook me up enough to commit to it, starting on the next full moon.

Health issues I have: chronic sinusitis, sleep issues, and allergies that have been especially bad lately and that doctors have been unable to help me with. I also have IBS and RA, but my symptoms have been well controlled without medication for some time. In fact, I appear to be in remission from the RA but have found that I need to eat healthy and stay active or I start to get minor symptoms. Fear of relapse is always in the back of my mind but Frey's death brought it out front. I also have binge eating disorder; like the IBS and RA it's also much improved over years past but I still struggle with it. 

I've spent literally decades trying to lose fat yet remain the exact same size 10 I was in high school (I'm 40 now.) When you account for vanity sizing, I'm probably a little bigger. Could be worse but in no way reflects the Herculean effort I've put into getting smaller and my New Year's Resolution was actually to STOP trying to lose weight. This is the size my rear is and it's time to accept that. But I find that without a highly structured, calorie and macronutrient controlled diet, I often find myself at a loss over what I should be eating, when and how much. So in addition to addressing the allergies, sinusitis and insomnia, I want to work on my relationship with food. You could fill a library with the books I've read on nutrition, so knowledge isn't the issue; it's eating what I know I should be and avoiding what I know I should avoid that I struggle with.

I'm an academic librarian and adjunct professor, single and childfree, and live in large town/small city in the upper Midwest (COLD.) My favorite physical activities are weightlifting, walking/hiking, kundalini yoga and I occasionally go snowshoeing. My hobbies are reading and cross stitch.

I will start this Sunday with you. I have one successful Whole 30 behind me two or three years ago and unfortunately, quite a few starts and stops. I also have some health issues (compounded with teaching stress). My one success was while my daughter was still at home. Living with my husband and adult son who have different food standards than I do presents a constant challenge.

Welcome. We encourage you to adopt the terminology and method of this resource...

How much to eat

Hi Tom ... this is a random thought.  I don't know how to "message" you so sorry for this post here (feel free to delete it!).  I just noticed you live in Alpharetta.  I live in Milton ... small world!!  If I had noticed earlier, I would have picked your brain for easily compliant restaurants in the area but Whole30 is over and restrictions have eased up  ;)

Welcome. We encourage you to adopt the terminology and method of this resource...

How much to eat

Thank you! I'm reading the Whole 30 book but haven't gotten too far. I read It Starts With Food a few years back and have "dabbled" in the paleo diet for years so I have some idea what I'm doing, but this is quite helpful.

I will start this Sunday with you. I have one successful Whole 30 behind me two or three years ago and unfortunately, quite a few starts and stops. I also have some health issues (compounded with teaching stress). My one success was while my daughter was still at home. Living with my husband and adult son who have different food standards than I do presents a constant challenge.

When I teach (I don't do it every semester), it seems to take up so much of my time. :/

Living alone has its disadvantages, but it makes meal planning and kitchen stocking a lot simpler.

My husband and I are starting our first Whole30 tomorrow. We've realized that we are far too cavalier about our food choices and resemble the people in It Starts With Food who say, "But we eat 'healthy' food . . . why are we always crashing?" So, time to change our lives by changing how we treat our bodies. Good luck to you!

Did my meal plan and grocery list for the first week last night. I have zero interest in spending an entire day off doing batch cooking so I'm planning a few sessions a week. And I ordered some Whole30 approved emergency foods just in case, noting the caveats about how to appropriately use them. Now I just have to work up the courage to drive to the store in 36 MPH wind. :)

I'm also struggling with "Hey, I better eat a pizza and bucket of KFC today since I won't be able to for a month!" Thinking like that is exactly why I'm doing a Whole30.

LOL all the produce I bought didn't even come close to fitting in my crisper. Two cabbages, a mess of broccoli, 3 packages of mixed greens, a big bag of carrots, radishes, 2 packages mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, cilantro, basil, strawberries and blueberries. And that's just the cold storage stuff.

I planned my menu for the week last night and went to the store today. My cart was filled with produce, eggs, and meat, but I am pretty sure I will need more produce before the week is over. I've done well but did need a snack. I enjoyed my first new recipe this week - citrus chicken for dinner. Giving up snacks and my after-dinner foraging in the kitchen will be my biggest challenges for the first few days.

I made chicken hash for breakfast and steak salad with cilantro lime mayo for dinner, doubling each recipe so I'd get a few days worth of leftovers. I enjoy cooking but not every single night. :) I usually chew a lot of gum and the was actually the only thing I missed today. Go figure. 

Good luck you guys, I'm almost done with my first whole30, on day 20, and it's so worth it!!! I feel amazing! First week was the absolute toughest for me but pulled through it.

if you research and prepare you will succeed! Good luck and keep the faith in yourself, you're worth it! Trust me, you'll feel great.

I was feeling kind of grumpy and sluggish today. I just read my Whole 30 Daily email and It pretty much described me today. So now I feel better knowing it is just a little bump in my progress. I did make myself a pretty and tasty beef stir fry for dinner. That made me feel better too, but I am definitely going to sleep early tonight!

I'm having a terrible time at work this work. Two deadlines missed because faulty technology and lack of IT support is really dragging out the more important of the two and creating extra work. I was super hungry today and ate two Chomps sticks, two Sea Snacks sheets, and some fruit compote in addition to my regular meals. And I really want a drink. I won't have one, but I really super duper want one and under normal circumstances I would be hip deep in Jack Daniels in about an hour. Trying to talk myself into my scheduled workout but I really would rather take a bath.

Ohhhh, I just rememberd my jackass landlord won't fix the water heater so that it'll get hotter than lukewarm. Yeah, I'm about to cry.

Feeling pretty proud tonight! Today was the 100th Day of School Celebration so I brought lots of goodies for my kids - didn't have any. Also, we had a Chili Cook-off for staff with lots of treats. I brought Well Fed's Chocolate Chili and didn't sample anything else. Oh, yeah, and two students from another class came by to share birthday treats. They were surprised when I declined. Generally, I am all about anything with sugar, especially chocolate.

I'm having a terrible time at work this work. Two deadlines missed because faulty technology and lack of IT support is really dragging out the more important of the two and creating extra work. I was super hungry today and ate two Chomps sticks, two Sea Snacks sheets, and some fruit compote in addition to my regular meals. And I really want a drink. I won't have one, but I really super duper want one and under normal circumstances I would be hip deep in Jack Daniels in about an hour. Trying to talk myself into my scheduled workout but I really would rather take a bath.

Ohhhh, I just rememberd my jackass landlord won't fix the water heater so that it'll get hotter than lukewarm. Yeah, I'm about to cry.

Sorry about your week. Better, now?

Sorry about your week. Better, now?

Only because it's the weekend. :( It will probably start again Monday because while I was killing myself to finish two projects this week, I got behind on another project that's due midday Wednesday. It's my class' in-class assignment so there's no fudging the deadline. AND I'm supposed to looking at apartments/houses to rent because I have to move before it warms up and my jerkhole noisy neighbors start hanging around outside again. It hit the mid-30s today and their shrieky kids are already at it. 

Went grocery shopping today. Still spent a ton of money but since it's all I'm spending on food (no lunch/snacks at work), it's probably not so bad. 

I saw where RX Bars had lost their Whole30 Approved status, but because people were misusing them rather then because of the ingredients. I bought some making a note I would need to be circumspect but wow. I can see why they were being misused - they're tasty as heck. I was expecting something like a Lara Bar, which I actually don't like very much. Nope. Much tastier and could be dangerous.

Archived