Struggling with Pre/Post Meals and timing

MorganLouise

I am on Day 21 of my first Whole30 and I still don't feel I've got the pre/post workout meals down. I do CrossFit at 6:15am 4-5 mornings a week, so I don't have much time to eat before I'm out the door headed to the gym. The first couple weeks I was eating a small amount of chicken and almonds for my pre-workout which seemed to work fine for me. I didn't notice a real difference in my performance either way. But after a couple weeks, the chicken at 5:30am was totally grossing me out and I couldn't do it anymore. I've been having just a handful of almonds pre workout and feeling fine. I'm pretty sure this is not what's intended for pre workout though since I'm mostly getting fat with a very small amount of protein from the almonds. So I'm looking for suggestions that are quick and easy on the palate when I'm rolling out of bed. I should mention I'm not really an eggs or seafood person either, so hardboiled eggs for me are a no-go. 

Post workout has been challenging too since I have less than an hour from the time my workout ends to when I need to be at work, so I have almost no time to get in a meal. I've been relying on RX bars mostly post workout because they are fast and I can eat them quickly. I realize this is also not ideal since they should be reserved for emergency food, but again, it needs to be something I can eat quickly and ideally doesn't need to be warmed up, again no hard boiled eggs and cold sweet potato is something I just can't do. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My third issue is that after the RX bar, I'm not hungry again for a few hours, so I'm struggling with meal 1 timing in relation to my post workout meal. It's about an hour from my post workout until I have the opportunity to eat again, but I've been waiting about 3 hours since I'm not hungry, which then pushes my lunch back to 1:30 or 2 and I'd like to keep it a more "normal" lunch hour. I also have been following the meal template closely for meals 2 and 3 and staying away from snacking. 

I am planning on extending my experience past the 30 days so I will have more time to fully grasp all Whole30 has to offer. While I feel great and have definitely gained so much in only 21 days, I think I could still use some practice and have more to glean from the program than I think I could in 9 days. I realize this is quite a lengthy post, but I'd appreciate any insight. 

I'm not sure what to suggest for specific foods other than to experiment until you find what works for you. Pre work out doesn't need to be a lot. I would definitely try and find something other than an RxBar for post workout. I would make yourself eat meal 1 even if you don't feel hungry. Sometimes after a workout I don't feel hungry but I eat anyway because I know I need to. 

Part of this experience is definitely self experimentation so keep on looking for what works for you ideally.

Can you do cold chicken? If you are okay with cold chicken, then how about a couple bites of chicken and a couple baby carrots. My post-workout meals are usually 2-4 bites of protein and an equal amount of starchy veg (I like cold sweet potatoes). I'm not hungry when I get home and make dinner an hour later, but once I start eating my dinner, I get hungry. I work out early on Saturday mornings and do pre- and post-workout mini meals before meal 1. I eat all 3 probably within 3 hours of each other. 

• 1 month later...

I have had the same experience - having my pre and post WO meals in the morning leaves me not hungry until about 11. This means it's too late for Meal 1 and too early for Meal 2. Very awkward.

This week I'm trying to do a larger pre-workout that essentially IS my Meal 1 and then do my post-workout immediately after and wait it out until Meal 2. I'm different than you in that I NEED to eat before a workout - a handful of almonds would not get me through. Today, before my workout, I ate 1-2 eggs, some onions, celery, and peppers, and a piece of bacon. I made it all the night before, so it only adds 5-10 minutes to my morning to eat it. I tried to eat it in the car this morning, which went OK, so depending on how complicated your commute is, maybe try that. Obviously not eggs, since you don't like them, but just sub in whatever you would normally eat for Meal 1. 

I hope I'm making sense.

Right after I run (5:30 am - 6:15), I eat just a small piece of chicken breast - maybe 2.5 - 3 oz - and a bit of mashed sweet potato - like 1/3 cup. I find that I can eat that quickly and cold. It's also not so much so that after I shower and change, I can eat M1.

I did eat an Epic beef bar this morning since I was out of cooked chicken, and it was fine, but I didn't like that it has more fat than I wanted. I'll get my chicken cooked and go back to that.

I *was* eating a HB egg for pre WO, but found that I feel better and less sluggish without it. I am eating my post WO food within 5-20 minutes of finishing my run.

Although I just realized that by this point, you have completed your first W30! :)

I feel like I keep writing this everywhere since I've totally for it when I found out about it, but I really like jerky as a pre or post WO snack.  I just bought some from https://www.stevespaleogoods.com/which is from guys that do Crossfit.  I actually found I personally can't digest meat too well for pre-WO myself.  How about almond or other nut butters for your pre-WO meals?  I'm not sure how you feel about it, but when I was off the Whole30, I made paleo bread and slathered it with nut butter or ghee and that made for a great pre-WO snack personally.  Understandably, you can't do this while you're on the Whole30.  

Post-WO, the jerky has done me well since it's meaty, quick, and there's different flavors.  It's lean enough so that it doesn't fill me up too much.

If the RX Bars are filling you up, have you considered just eating half of it?  Or perhaps skipping it altogether and just going for your full meal.  Otherwise, there is also nut milks.

• 3 months later...

I'm having a similar problem and would love some insight.  I work out 5-6 times a week, almost exclusively in the morning (7-8am, HIIT, running, weights, etc. it varies).  Prior to whole30, I would wake up at 6:15, eat nothing except some water w lemon, work out 7-8 am, then come home to shower and get to work.  I eat at my desk, so this means I wouldn't have my first meal until about 9/9:30 AM.  This would usually be an ezekiel english muffin with almond butter and a piece of fruit.  I would then eat lunch around noon, snack around 4, and dinner around 7:30.  Typically eating right before or right after a workout makes me feel sick but I'm willing to give it a shot!

I am starting my second Whole30 tomorrow, and have some meal plan ideas that I would love feedback on.  

6:15 AM - wake up

6:30 AM - pre workout - half hardboiled egg? Am I able to skip this if I don't feel like I need it?

7-8 AM - workout

8:15 AM - post workout - small portion of sweet potatoes and sausage cooked with coconut oil and cinnamon? any post workout has to be something i can grab and go with, as I only have an hour to shower, get ready, and get to work. 

9:30 AM - Meal 1 - Egg Frittata with veggies and a meat (sausage, ground turkey, etc) cooked w fat

12:30 PM - Meal 2

7:30 PM - Meal 3

My final question is that I almost always get hungry around 4/4:30 PM.  I realize that RX or lara bars are for emergencies only, so is there a good small portioned substitute for when I can't wait until 7:30 for dinner?  

any thoughts (or recipes!!) would be helpful.  Thanks!

"...but I'm willing to give it a shot!"

Same goes for your post wo. You just have to try the recommendation of lean protein after a workout. What about the sausage are you able to eat, but not chicken or tuna?

Also, you workout 5-6 hours a week yet skimp on the meal needed to help your body rebuild afterwards? It's important to dedicate time to this meal too to derive the full benefit of the workout. I understand the need to be on time and get everything done, but take the time for this and not short yourself by limiting to the 'grab and go'.

Thanks LucieB, I totally get it and am definitely trying to change this.  I could probably try the chicken if i cook it with something, but having trouble figuring that piece out - as the meal template says little to no fat included in your post workout meal.  would cooking up some ground chicken and sweet potatoes with a little coconut oil and cinnamon be acceptable?  If not, would i have to eat the like shredded chicken and sweet potatoes with absolutely nothing on it?  Thats the part that grosses me out at 8 am :) I am big on meal prepping, so anything I can make in big batches and heat up later is perfect.

If you're cooking the oil off the turkey in the way you would the juices/fat of ground beef as you brown it then this should be okay - you don't want the finished dish to be oily. I find marinated chicken works well for me - I cook fillets covered slowly in the oven and only take the foil off for the last 10mins or so to brown the meat up a little. If chicken is in anyway dry it could make you gag a little, but cooked this way it really retains it's moisture.

• 11 months later...

I don't really consider myself an athlete but I thought this might be the best category to post in.  I typically do my workout either first thing in the morning or when I get home from work.  First thing in the morning, my post wo meal is my breakfast and when I get home from work, post wo meal is dinner.  I know you're supposed to eat a specific post wo meal but I'm not sure how to fit it in and was looking for suggestions.  Thanks! 

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, Mandy917 said:

I don't really consider myself an athlete but I thought this might be the best category to post in.  I typically do my workout either first thing in the morning or when I get home from work.  First thing in the morning, my post wo meal is my breakfast and when I get home from work, post wo meal is dinner.  I know you're supposed to eat a specific post wo meal but I'm not sure how to fit it in and was looking for suggestions.  Thanks! 

Hey there - This has been discussed at length on the forum and there is loads of info on timing, meals, how they interact with your other meals etc... I've merged your thread with a popular one that has some good info, however I'd encourage you to google 'whole30 workout meal timing' or similar search tags and see what you can find :)

Archived