Em's whole 30

wcrungrl

Day 1 under my belt!...a little spoiled today because it was a Sunday and had lots of time to make yummy food...the nice part of that is I made a ton of food for the week.

Breakfast: 3 eggs baked in spinach, onion, tomato "nests", 1/4 can of coconut milk in my coffee.

Lunch: 3 salmon cakes (1 can salmon, 1 cup shredded broccoli stalks, 1 egg, 1/2 onion, couple tablespoons of coconut flour, handful of capers), turnip greens w/ homemade vinigerette and 1/2 a white peach with a couple teaspoons of almond butter.

I got hungry (I think?) around 4 (lunch was at 1245) and had a boiled egg with salsa and 1/2 a white peach.

Dinner: 1/2 a grassfed ribeye, 1/2 head of cauliflower roasted in olive oil, balsalmic and seasoning. 1/2 apple w/ 1 tablespoon almond butter.

Great first day. Looking forward to the rest of the week thanks to all the stuff I prepped today.

Day 2: meal 1: 2 cups of coffee each w/ 1/4 cup coconut milk, frittata (2 eggs, 1/5 lb ground pork, broccoli, onions, tomato), meal 2: Was supposed to be lamb/ beef meatballs I made this weekend for lunches all week...I ate 1 of 4 and ends up I don't like lamb. Or maybe it was bad beef. Either way they were gross...luckily I had a couple boiled eggs for pre/post wod snack and just ate those for lunch along with 1 cup of zucchini "pasta" w/ tomato and onion, handful of blueberries, handful of roasted cauliflower and 1/4 avocado. I had 1/2 apple for a pre-wod snack and 1/4 avocado for a post-wod snack. Meal 3: salad of turnip greens and homemade vinigerette, beef stew I made yesterday w/ grass fed stew meat, carrots, turnips, onions, can of fire roasted diced tomatoes, leeks...delicious highlight of my day! I still feel great but know the sugar demon is going to rear its ugly head eventually and need to start making a plan for when it does.

Day 3: Meal 1- frittata (same as yesterday), 2 cups of coffee w/ 1/2 cup coconut milk @ 0530. Meal 2: zucchini "pasta", 1/2 ribeye, handful of blueberries, 1/4 avacado, 1 boiled egg @ 1030, got hungry around 1330 and hand another boiled egg, 1/2 egg and 1 tablespoon of almond butter, pre-wod snack around 1600 was 1 salmon/ broccoli cake, 1 tablespoon homemade "tartar sauce" and about one cup of roasted cauliflower. 10 minute wod then ran a couple 800m wind sprints. meal 3- beef stew, salad, 1/2 peach. Not gonna lie I was licking the tuperware containing my almond butter today. Yesterday I was really proud that I was patient, kind and listened to a patient that usually drives me crazy but today I didn't do as good of a job when I lost it and snapped at one of my other patients who does the same. My temperance goal is to take deep breaths and not do this. Gonna work on that.

Day 4: Meal 1- frittata w/ salsa, 2 cups of black coffee w/ 1/2 cup of coconut milk around 0600. I didn't get to eat again until around 1130 and I was hungry by then but surprisingly not starving. I had a chicken breast (the cooked one from trader joes...pre-packaged but no sugar or sweeteners and after the meatball debacle they had to work), w/ homemade mayo, zucchini "pasta" and a handful of blueberries. I was hungry again around 1330 (I don't think I'm including enough veggies at lunch...added a salad and some carrots for tomorrow) and had a boiled egg, 1/2 apple and a tablespoon of almond butter. I thought I was going to be able to wod after work so I had another snack at 1500...another boiled egg, 1/4 avacado...then a lara bar. I thought I was hungry but I'm not gonna lie...it was a long, stressful day and I think I just really wanted something sweet. I call that giving in to the sugar dragon even if lara bars are approved. Tomorrow I'm bringing 3 boiled eggs and more veggies in case I need more food at lunch. I just had a bowl of beef stew (around 7pm), 2 coconut wraps...1 with mayo and lettuce and 1 with tahini and lettuce and 1/2 an apple with some almond butter.

Um, can you please come to California and be my personal chef?

Seriously, the meals you describe sound amazing! On my first Whole30, I actually got kinda bored with my food because I tended to fall back on the same few meals over and over. It actually ended up being a bit of a challenge to get enough calories simply because I wasn't that interested in eating toward the end of the 30 days. Maybe you could start a WordPress recipe blog.... :)

Thanks you are so sweet! I've been trying to make more recipes from nomnompaleo.com and theclothesmakethegirl.com

So today was my first really hard day. I just seemed to be hungry all day long and I'm still so confused as to whether I'm hungry or its just my sugar-addicted brain playing tricks on me. Guess the pig thing I did different today was I went for a run first thing this morning which meant I got up an extra 45 minutes early and I did activity at the begining of the day instead of the end. After running I had 2 cups of coffee w/ 1/2 cup of coconut milk. At work I had frittata (another slice of the same from earlier this week) w/ about 1 tablespoon of guacamole around 0600. I had a boiled egg around 0900. Around 1100 I had a salad of green leaf lettuce w/ a tablespoon of guacamole and a squeeze of lemon juice, a trader joes pre-cooked chicken breast w/ homemade mayo, 1 cup of "zucchini pasta" and a handful of blueberries. About 45 minutes laster I felt like I was still hungry so I had a boiled egg, 1/2 an apple and a tablespoon of almond butter. I had another boiled egg around 3:30pm and went to olympic lifting at 5...my workout sucked today...felt like I had NO energy and just felt really weak. Any ideas from anyone if I need to add more of something? When I walked in the door at 7pm I was starving (I think?) and had beef stew, 2 fried eggs, 1 coconut wrap with almond butter and 1 coconut wrap with homemade mayo. Day 5 down. Hanging in there.

Didn't sleep super well last night...had a wierd kink in my neck that kept waking me up...but here's the thing: usually when I don't sleep well I'm dragging all day long but today...not so much. Ah-may-zing!

Meal 1: Last slice of frittata for the week with 1 tablespoon of guac. 2 cups of coffee, 1 with 1/4 cup of coconut milk. One of my medics brought me a HUGE bag of apples from a tree in his yard and I had a small one with breakfast. All that around 0630. I had a boiled egg around 0930. At 1030 I had meal 2: green leaf lettuce salad w/ 1 tablespoon of guac and lemon juice. 1 cup of zucchini pasta. A trader joes chicken breast with homemade mayo and a Starbucks fruit cup. At 1145 I had another boiled egg, 1/2 small apple and 1 tablespoon of almond butter. Around 2:45 pm I had my pre-wod snack a boiled egg, 1 cup of carrots and about 1/4 cup of guac. Did an oly lifting workout and then the crossfit wod Annie followed by treating myself to dinner at Chipotle of a salad bowl with chicken, grilled peppers and onions, pico de gillo (sp?) and guacamole. It was delicious and then I had another small apple from my overflowing bag 'o apples. I still feel like I'm snacking too much in between meals and would really like to get to the point where I'm sticking to 3 meals a day with just a pre and post wod snack. The plan is more veggies and breakfast and lunch!

After posting last night I was looking around the forum to make sure my Chipotle choice were ok and me the 4 food criteria. Really bummer to find out they didn't. As part of my big cookup with weekend (I have to do this during the weekend because the week gets too crazy) I'm going to try to put together my own ingredients for a "Chipotle style taco salad" so I can have it at home instead.

Weekends are harder for me than weekdays...I think it has to do with not having the structure of the work day. Meal 1 around 0630: 3 fried eggs (fried in coconut oil), 1/2 cup of canned pumpkin w/ 1/4 cup of coconut milk, coffee with 1/4 cup of coconut milk. Fun team wod at 9am. Stopped at 7-11 afterward and grabbed 2 boiled eggs and a cup of sliced strawberries and blueberries (around 1030). After stocking up for the week at the Olympia farmers market and then Olympia co-op I came home and had ground turkey and kale fried up with 1/2 an avacado and a small apple. While I was cooking all afternoon (made chilli, tuna salad, boiled eggs, a bunch of grilled veggies, curry roasted broccoli, roasted a spaghetti squash to make pasta with tomorrow) I snacked a bit...3 pieces of bacon, a handful of strawberries and a spoonful of almond butter around 3pm. Then a couple spoonfuls of tuna salad and a mess 'o strawberries around 4pm. At 4:30 I had meal 3: curry roasted broccoli and 2 coconut wraps filled with tuna salad.

I had 2 moments today where I literally felt momentarily posessed...the first was when I saw a sign pointing to a cupcake shot right by my salon...luckily I was late for my appointment and I couldn't actually see the storefront, only the sign. The second moment I walked into my pantry to grab a ziplock back and had a split second thought to grab my housemates loaf of bread and jiffy peanut butter...it felt like a split second out of body experience! Crazy the tricks that sugar demon plays on my mind. But I didn't give in to my crazy.

Meal 1 after a morning run (had a cup of coffee w/ 1/4 cup coconut milk before my run): 2 poached eggs, 1/2 an 8 oz steak, a fruit cup, another cup of coffee at a resturaunt with a couple friends (also had a bowl of stir fried cabbage and onions before I left the house)

Meal 2: Stir fried ground turkey and kale w/ 1/2 an avacado. Handful of strawberries.

Meal 3: Salad (red leaf lettuce, grilled zucchini, tomato with guac and vinigerette) and a pork chop seasoned w/ salt, pepper, garlic and fried in ghee...it was really good.

Day 8 and feeling really good even with the "struggles"

Catching up on posts after a weekend away from the forum. I have the same thing as you with respect to wanting to eat way more frequently than I do when I'm not Strict Whole30. So pretty much, I just go with it. I have a snack stash at my office, along with a jar of coconut oil, and I dip into the "emergency reserves" whenever I feel the need. I went through the same thing on my first Whole30, and even eating so frequently, I still dropped 8 lbs. I'm already a slender person, so the weight loss was surprising...but my point is, with the types of foods you're limited to with Whole30, it seems you can eat to your heart's content and still see physical benefits (both inside and outside). Kinda nifty, really.

Food for the day: Coffee with 1/4 cup of coconut milk around 0530 then meal 1: frittata (2 1/2 eggs, 1 slice bacon, red onion, kale) and cup coffee w/ 1/4 cup coconut milk around 0630. Got hungry around 0930 again and had a boiled egg, 1/2 apple and 1 tablespoon of almond butter. Tomorrow I'll have my egg and 1/2 apple with my breakfast. Meal 2 around 1130: spaghetti squash pasta (with zucchini, tomatoes, mushrooms and homemade pesto), 2 boneless/ skinless chicken thighs, 1/2 an avacado and a handful of strawberries. Another snack around 1345 of a boiled egg and a hand full of grilled zucchini and the amazing blue bell peppers from the Oly farmers market. Had another boiled egg at 1600. Had half a sweet potato after my workout and dinner was a bowl of my homemade beef and carrot chili, a handful of curry roasted broccoli and a tablespoon of almond butter.

Oh my...today it almost happened...almost. I had overnight duty at work last night and thought I was so smart for remembering to bring my Tues night dinner but completely forgot to bring ANY food for Wed. So Tuesday was essentially the same as Monday but Wed was an orange (from the gas station no less) at 0600 and a cup of black coffee. I can't believe I made it all the way until 0800 when I ran home to grab some food...I inhaled some cabbaged fried w/ onions and bacon and tuna salad wrapped in a coconut wrap...I'm worried these are so delicious and sweet that I'm just feeding my sugar dragon with them. I had another cup of coffee w/ coconut milk and rushed back to work where I had 1/2 a peach. Meal "2" was spaghetti squash pasta, a pork chop and a couple bites of chicken, 1/2 an apple, 1 tablespoon of almond butter and 1/4 of an avacado. I just felt hungry all day. I had a boiled egg and some grilled zucchini and bellpeppers a couple hours later, a couple bites of grilled chicken a little after that and then another boiled egg around 4. Like I said I just felt like I was so hungry...and CRAVING bagels and rolls and all sorts of other bread products all day today...its amazing what lack of sleep does. It was like I was a 1 person scientific study! I had tuna salad and lettuce in a coconut wrap and another 1/2 a peach when I got home around 6. Too much fruit. Totally gave in the the "I want something sweet" crack-head talk.

I survived a 2 hour solo road trip without stopping for orange hostess cupcakes, burgerville or starbucks pastries. Today I again felt hungry all day...I'm in Portland for the weekend enjoying lots of great whole 30 options but plan to increase the protein portions for all my meals during my big cookup for the week. Day 12 down!

Meal 1: 2 cups of coffee w/ 1/2 cup of coconut milk, a 2 egg, kale and bacon frittata, half an apple and a tablespoon of almond butter. Had a boiled egg a couple hours later and meal 2 about 2 hours after that: 2 chicken thighs, spaghetti squash "pasta" a peach and 1/2 an avacado, had a handful of coconut flakes a couple hours later and a chicken breast, a good helping of grilled veggies. On the drive down I had the last of my cabbage stir-fried w/ onion and bacon (applegate farms Sunday bacon), a half a sweet potato, another handful of conconut flakes and an apple.

Day 13 while in Portland: Meal 1 hotel breakfast buffet- 3 boiled eggs, 1/2 sweet potato and 1/2 avacado (I brought those with me) and a cup of black coffee around 0730, Meal 2 at Dicks on SE Belmont: grassfed beef burger patty wrapped in lettuce with tomato, onion, homemade pickle and yam fries (just fresh sliced yams, salt/ pepper and baked) around 1130. I had a 6oz americano around 1330...not because I needed a pick me up but because I love, love, love the Powell's coffee shop. Around 6pm I had meal 3 at another super whole30 friendly resturaunt, The laurelhurst market, fire grilled peppers and cherry tomatoes, a hanger steak grilled served over kale grilled w/ salt, pepper and olive oil. Had a couple handfuls of coconut flakes after both lunch and dinner. Had a few cubes of pineapple and an apple around 8:30pm back at my hotel room.

Day 14: Meal 1 @ 0630- 2 boiled eggs w/ salt and pepper and 1/2 cup cubed cantelope from my hotel's breakfast buffet. Meal #1 part 2: 3 egg scramble w/ butternut squash, onions, some strange veggie I don't know and forgot the name of but was awesome, a side of bacon (3 slices) and side of fruit (1/4 apple, 1/2 small banana and a slice of grapefruit) @ 0930ish. Went and visited Stumptown Crossfit for a wod at 1200 thennnnnn...the thing I was most looking forward to on this entire visit: A meal at the Cultured Caveman, the Paleo food cart in Portland. Had the chicken tenders, the kale salad and the "rainbow fries"...I swear to God this stuff was so amazing I'm concerned it violates criteria #1 and caused me to have an unhealthy emotional attachment to it. I also had a pint of blackberries from the Hollywood farmers market earlier this morning. Waaaaaaay too much fruit today. Around 3pm I had an americano and some sliced cucumbers and bell peppers around 4pm. Meal 3 at 6pm was at Famous Daves and really dissapointing. Had a salad which was mostly iceburg lettuce w/ lemon and 3 grilled sirloin tenders (no sauce or rub). I ordered a side of steamed broccoli but it was covered in this nasty fake-butter stuff and I took one bite and decided not to go any further. Overall a pretty good day but feel like I need to beef up on veggies and try to stick closer to 3 meals and only snack if its pre or post wod.

There sure is and its ah-may-zing! Day 15...halfway there!!!! Meal 1 from the whole foods salad bar: roasted chicken, baked yam cubes, baked butternut squash cubes and peppers, zucchini and onion grilled in olive oil, salt and pepper. Also had 3 olives...would have had more but they were a little salty for my tastes. Meal 2: spaghetti squash fried in ghee w/ chopped olives, garlic powder, salt and pepper and 2 chicken garlic/ herb sausages and a pint of rasberries. Had a boiled egg, small apple w/ almond butter a couple hours later. Meal 3: 2 coconut wraps filled w/ the last of my tuna salad. Tomorrow I have the day off and will be the "big cookup day."

Day 16- What a great day...I'm sure it helps that its day 4 of a 4-day weekend. Slept in today which always makes me feel guilty but after a cup of coffee w/ 1/4 cup of coconut milk I went for a really great run. Running first thing in the morning really sets my day up for success. Since I know this week is going to really long days and stressful at work I'm aiming to wake up early and run before work. Meal 1 was 3 fried eggs and 2 tomatoes sliced w/ salt and another cup of coffee w/ 1/4 cup of coconut milk. Had a boiled egg, small apple w/ almond butter a couple days later. Meal 2 was a bowl of chili leftover from last week. I did my big weekly cookup today and had a couple bites of porkchop (seasoned w/ salt/ pepper and garlic powder and fried in ghee) while cooking. Post wod snack was 1/2 of a sweet potato and the rest of the pork chop I was munching on. Meal 3 was a kale and tomato salad w/ homemade vinagerette and a bowl of spaghetti squash w/ meatballs and marinara sauce from a recipe on sleeploveeat.com...really great recipe! I'm also super excited to have the sausage, egg breakfast sandwhiches I made for breakfast this week from a recipe on multiplydelicious.com blog.

First really bad night of sleep since starting my whole30 last night but I attribute it to getting a phone call at 10pm (embaressingly several hours into my sleep) and not being able to go back to sleep due to racing thoughts. But considering I leave for Afghanistan in 4 weeks I figure I'm allowed some racing thoughts. Meal 1 around 0600: Egg/ sausage breakfast sandwich on sweet potato/ carrot patties, 2 cups of coffee w/ 1/2 cup coconut milk. Boiled egg, small apple and some coconut flakes around 1000. Meal 2 around 1330 was kale/ cabbage and carrot choped salad in homemade vinigerette, a pork chop and cauliflower gratin (an attempt at mashed cauliflower that didn't quite mash all the way), another boiled egg, carrot/ celery and cherry tomatoes dipped in whole foods guac around 1530/1600. Meal 3: bowl of leftover chili, 1/2 avacado, small apple and 2 tablespoons of almond butter.

Day 18: Slept much better last night...head hit the pillow, computer off by 8:30 and slept in till 5. I have to admit I did take a benadryl though because I was scared after last night I wouldn't be able to sleep again. Also 2nd day in a row that I didn't make time to work out...I expected this week to be crazy at work which is all the more reason I need to get a workout in...I almost cried today over something stupid. #1 rule of being a girl in the Army...never cry at work:) Meal 1: Another breakfast sandwich and 2 cups of coffee w/ 1/2 cup of coconut milk. Boiled egg, 1/2 apple and almond butter about 3 hours later. Meal 2: kale, carrot and cabbage salad, pork chop and cauliflower gratin, handful of blueberries and 1/4 avacado. 2 hours later 1 boiled egg, bag of celery, carrots and cherry tomatoes, 1/4 avacado. 1 hr later (I was hungry all day today...bad sleep? Lack of activity?) 1/2 sweet potato and 1 boiled egg. Meal 3: spaghetti squash w/ meatballs and marinara. A couple hours later when I got home 2 fried eggs, a good helping of kale salad. I really need to get some activity in tomorrow or my stress level is going to boil over. Today I almost broke down and sought out a pumpkin cream cheese muffin from Starbucks...then I reminded myself its day 18 and I would have wasted all those days. So glad I didn't cave...that muffin would NOT have been worth it.

Today is day 20 and it has been a stupid-crazy-busy week. Sometimes stress is just inevitable as much as I'd like to live without it...I'm ok with accepting that every once in awhile as long as its for a finite/ known amount of time and not and everyday occurance. Anyway, I think both yesterday and today were essentially the same for food so here's today. Day 1: egg, sausage sandwich on 2 carrot/ sweet potato patties, 2 cups of coffee w/ coconut milk. A boiled egg, 1/2 apple and some olives a couple hours later. Meal 2: kale salad, a pork chop, cauliflower "gratin." Handful of blueberries and 1/2 an avacado. A boiled egg, 1/2 sweet potato and some olives a few hours later. Meal 3 super late (got home waaaaaay too late) was a HUGE bowl of spaghetti squash w/ marinara and meatballs and 1/2 avacado. I'm a little burned out on my usual eats...but I like to cook a big batch of 1 breakfast, 1 lunch and 1 diner. Anyone have any suggestions?

Archived