Starting February 1st!

wdiffin

I started on February 1st also. The way whole30 is set up is very similar to how my naturopath told me I should be eating most of the time (I have a dairy intolerance, but I'm not intolerant to gluten or anything else). I cut dairy and sugar a few years ago and my skin looked great. I am doing it this time to build a better relationship with food, clear up my skin, feel less bloated, and to minimize how much sugar I consume/cravings I get.

I am looking forward to following Whole30 for the next month.

I'm from Edmonton, Alberta. :D

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started 2/1 too! It was a rough day yesterday. Was so hungry! Learned from that today and it's getting a little easier. I'm looking forward to cooking more since I actually hate and am terrible at cooking.. probably because I say I hate it :) I'm most looking forward to healthier skin and body and learning of any food allergies I may not be aware of. I also need to detox my body of sugar since I do love my chocolate and grains a lot.  How is everyone's Day 2 going? Successes and challenges.

Day 2 done!   No headache yet.  Slept well.   Not so much time in the kitchen today.  All the food was nummy.  Thinking more about snacking in between meals though, Hubby no joining me and eating non compliant nummy stuff. .  Not quite as stuffed like yesterday.  Breakfast:  Frittata (hubby was checking it out), Lunch: Waldorf Tuna Salad , supper:  Hot Plate with salmon, green beans and yellow squash.  All so good.  Stopped taking the vitamin supplement and enzyme supplement.   Not sure if they were compliant so stopped.   Snowing cats and dogs here today.. over 8 inches and still coming.  So glad I went for a walk in the morning.   Read the timeline and hoping it won;t get that bad!   Praying! :)

Rosie K, I have all kinds of relatives not too far from you. :) 

How badly the timeline gets you depends on what kind of food you were eating before (the more processed/sugary foods the worse it gets) and how well you stick with guidelines for the meal templates.  The first time around I had a very difficult time believing I had to EAT for the process to work, lol.  It was NOT a fun couple of days for anyone where I work.

I started February 1st.  It is now Day 3.  So far, not bad. I didn't get the "hang over" effect that they talked about...I'm sure the other shoe will soon drop!  I suffer from sinus congestion almost constantly, even while taking allergy pills.  So I'm wondering if I have a food reaction.  This morning, I'm convinced I do.  I can almost breathe again.  Loving it!!

Tonight is the big test...the gym is calling my name.

Can't wait to see what new improvements I feel in the days to come...This is going to be hard, but it will definitely be worth it!  But WE CAN ALL do this!

Happy Day 3 everyone!

I'm eating mostly my emergency fast 15 meals (omlette & veggies, rotisserie chicken & salad, salmon & salad). Tonight I hope to try a new delicious recipe, though! 

A little groggy and sleepy so far. I ate a HUGE lunch yesterday (salmon 5 ozs, monster salad, almond butter ants on a log) and that helped. Forgot the sheer volume of food one must eat on this thing. 

I started on Monday as well.  The winter storm disrupted dinner plans last night, but I made it through by eating cashews, olives and artichokes. 

Today I am having difficulty since I forgot my lunch at home.   Massive craving for coffee with cream, a coke, chocolate.  Basically, surviving off of Larabars (had 3 of them at different times).   

We can do this! 

Thanks for letting me share. 

Hi all! 

Hope day 3 is going well for everyone. I think I'm starting out like last time. I noticed my energy, or muscles, a little on the fatiqued side on my walk with the dogs today. But that's about it. I'm having to remind my husband about how to eat during this Whole 30. Even though I've done the Whole 30 last year, he still had some vision of this as being really hungry and just eating salad all the time. He's catching on quick though, and it's great to have a partner in this. About to make zucchini 'pasta' toss with artichokes, calamata olives, cherry tomatoes, and avocado. If you haven't tried to make zucchini into pasta, I recommend it! I just have a hand held shredder, and it works well, but they have fancier ones now too....I'd love to hear any other zucchini 'pasta' recipes.... SandyEG 

Hi All!

I started on the 1st of Feb too. I live in Australia so it's Day 4 for me, and I think it's shaping up to be the toughest day so far.

I really struggled to eat breakfast today and now I'm getting a bit hungry (It's 10:30 am), I've had a persistent but tolerable headache for the last couple of days and have been quite tired and in a "fog". My eczema and itchy skin also seems to be worse today.

I was eating quite poorly before I started, and drinking A LOT of alcohol, so I guess this amount of pain and suffering is to be expected! 

My motivation levels are still high though! Good luck everyone!

• Moderators

I started on Monday as well.  The winter storm disrupted dinner plans last night, but I made it through by eating cashews, olives and artichokes. 

Today I am having difficulty since I forgot my lunch at home.   Massive craving for coffee with cream, a coke, chocolate.  Basically, surviving off of Larabars (had 3 of them at different times).   

We can do this! 

Thanks for letting me share. 

You might consider keeping things like canned tuna, salmon, or sardines in your desk at work (along with a can opener if they need it). You could even stow a bottle of olive oil in your desk too. I know it doesn't sound exciting, but it would have been more filling than your larabars, and you might have been able to pick up a plain tossed salad somewhere nearby to have with it and had a boring but totally compliant lunch. Depending on what kinds of storage you have available at work, you might even be able to toss a bag or two of frozen veggies in a freezer that you could then microwave on days when you've forgotten your lunch, or if you just have a really hungry day and need more than you packed.

• Moderators

Hi All!

I started on the 1st of Feb too. I live in Australia so it's Day 4 for me, and I think it's shaping up to be the toughest day so far.

I really struggled to eat breakfast today and now I'm getting a bit hungry (It's 10:30 am), I've had a persistent but tolerable headache for the last couple of days and have been quite tired and in a "fog". My eczema and itchy skin also seems to be worse today.

I was eating quite poorly before I started, and drinking A LOT of alcohol, so I guess this amount of pain and suffering is to be expected! 

My motivation levels are still high though! Good luck everyone!

You might try plating up a full template breakfast, eating as much as you can, eating evenly from the protein, fat, and vegetables, and then when you can't stomach anymore, wrap it up, and when you are feeling like you could eat more, you'd have a template mini-meal ready to go. Over time, you'll find you're eating more at that initial sitting and less later, until you are eating the whole thing at once.

You might try plating up a full template breakfast, eating as much as you can, eating evenly from the protein, fat, and vegetables, and then when you can't stomach anymore, wrap it up, and when you are feeling like you could eat more, you'd have a template mini-meal ready to go. Over time, you'll find you're eating more at that initial sitting and less later, until you are eating the whole thing at once.

Thanks Shannon - that usually what I do for lunch as I currently can't eat it all in one go at the moment. 

I have always had difficulty eating a full meal - this is more of a mental problem rather than physical. I've managed to convince myself over the years that eating something I don't particularly "want" will make me feel sick, and I don't really "want" the food I am eating at the moment, as my taste buds are so geared toward highly flavoured processed foods. So I have a tendency to look at my current plate in disgust!

I'm sure I'll get over it

I started my fourth Whole 30 on February 1st. I am excited for a reset. I have fell way off track in the past 6 months and I am looking forward to the health and body improvements that come with this commitment. I plan to keep the Whole 30 regimine going until my birthday in April then reevaluate at that time. I am 5'7" and weigh in around 240. I have always had a weight problem as well as stomach issues. Gluten is my best friend as well as my mortal enemy. I like to use food as a comfort, reward, and boredom crutch. It Begins With Food and subsequently Whole 30 has taught me so much about retraining my brain and body. I did not weigh in before starting this round. I am hoping to base the change on how I feel and look. I am currently suffering from the I need a nap/ kill all things but I know this shall pass and tiger blood will be my reward. I am posting my meals to instagram to help myself with accountability. Anything that helps is worth the time.

lvarnell and amdlj123456, I'm on a restart as well. :)  Always something new to learn and once I get through the first week's timeline I am sure something will come along that will have me facepalming because I missed the obvious, lol.  I am definitely having a day 3, a bit groggy and light headache.  I am also fairly cranky, but that might be because I broke my toe yesterday.

Alexanrarowan, hang in there! You may be in for a rough first week, but it is SO worth it. When we get past this, you are going to be amazed at the intense flavors you find in natural, whole foods. :)

Hyppychyck, depending on how you feel about their price, you might also look for Epic bars or see if your local grocer (or online) carries some compliant sausage sticks.  I was surprised to find some here that come in venison or bison (all the beef had sugar) with no mystery ingredients or added sugar. They keep well and can be stashed in a desk drawer in case of emergency.

Hello all,

My husband and I started Feb. 1st.
One of the things that confuses me is the "mayo" thing. I realize it's not a big deal to everyone else but mayo in any other instance would be a big no-no anyways as it's just too much fat, chemicals and unnecessary. I'm curious why the authors push to avoid recreating anything that would normally be a treat or lead you away from the whole foods? To me mayo is a condiment many take advantage of yet don't understand how bad it can be? I can't remake pancakes, creamer or a dessert? But I can remake a fatty, overused (imo) condiment that does not contribute enough nutritional value when bought off the shelf. I feel it falls in the same category as trying to remake pancakes or creamers.

As I said, I don't normally eat mayo (I use avocado instead) and I'm curious. Thanks for the feedback.

• Moderators

Mayo when made at home is made from real ingredients like your grandma used to do before Hellmans added chemicals and sugar to the stuff and made it into a frankenfood.

If someone personally had a problem with mayo... they were consuming off the spoon right out of the jar, thinking about it when they weren't eating it and using it as a food that they celebrated with, then I would say in that context they should NOT make their own mayo.

Most people do not have that relationship with mayo and while they may be eating it as a condiment not knowing that it's really not food at all (off the shelf), it's not an abusive relationship.

The other thing with the pancakes and creamer is the sugar or sugar substitute that you're trying to fool your brain with. I'm assuming the creamer you're referring to is the one that is coconut milk, egg yolk, dates and prayers that make a creamy coffee whitener. Ya, we don't allow that because it's exactly replacing the thing that people use to get their sugar fix in the morning... Pancakes are generally eaten with syrup, fruit gloop and whipping cream... the psychological impact of making a fake pancake is hefty enough that the Hartwigs dont' want you holding on to that food relationship.

Mayo doesn't (in general) have a psychological hold on people like pancakes and it's not a hit of sugar like the creamer, but if you DID have that type of relationship with mayo, then it would be a good idea to leave it out of your Whole30.

I am not sure about you guys but I am feeling tired of cutting up veggies and cooking!  I normally prepare the meals at home but I feel that this week has been much more work.  I did make the mayo and that has been a nice addition.  Keep up the good work.  We are at day 4 already :)

I started Feb 1 too. I am so ready for this. Most of my online fellow MS Warriors have done this and rave about how great they feel. Hey every little bit helps. 

Yesterday was tough for me with babysitting the little granddaughter. But I did it. I caught myself before licking my fingers, or hers when the almond butter and jam picture was made on the table...got up and got a wet dish towel to clean us off. I got to say I am missing my evening glass of wine.

Well, made it through the gym last night, barely.  First 20 minutes was great, felt great. Then suddenly, I hit a brick wall.  Struggled my way through the 2nd half.  Went home and shovelled the deck off and barely made it in the house.  My muscles were like overdone spaghetti.  Wow, what a difference a day can make!  Had a raging headache by bedtime.  But we did another day!  Yeah us!!! :)

Tonight is my first social event!  It's gonna be rough.

Hi eveyone, total newbie here, was wondering if ya'll could help be with my questions. Started on the first. I wanted to know how much dates are allowed in a day. I ate 4 (medjool) tonight and feel guilty.Also I started adding coconut milk to my coffee but not sure if I'm over doing it, what's the limitations?

I'm bf my almost 7 month old baby and the dates help with production hope I don't have to stop them.

Archived