Starting February 1st!

wdiffin

So we did week 1 and are feeling pretty awesome about ourselves!  We deserve it!

It was a crazy, hectic weekend at my house.  My husband fell and cracked a couple of ribs.  Of course it snowed all weekend.  I now know how to start the new blower.  This is one job he can have back without any complaints from me.  LOL.  It was rough food wise, as I was cooking both his food (non-complaint) and mine.  His was so tempting.  I ate a lot more nuts that I should have but they do really help with the cravings.

All the best to us during week 2.  This something that we CAN do!

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone needing some new recipes to try, I highly recommend Mel Joulwan (aka Well Fed).

I love so many of her recipes. Some forum favourites are the chocolate chilli (a bit of work but gets better in the fridge too!), silky gingered soup, crispy chicken livers, meatballs, party menus, meal plans, prep tips, bulk cooking tips, hot plates, so many recipes:

http://meljoulwan.com/category/recipes/whole30/ (there are a couple of recipes on her website and in her cookbooks which aren't W30, but they're usually very well marked as not okay for Whole30).

Omg, I wanna cry. I been eatting peanuts today. I knew peanut butter was of the list but I read on somewhere maybe another forum that they were eatting peanuts and it was helping fill full.

I feel yucky! My body feels the difference. I have been so good n feeling full and well this past week.

Does this mean I have to start over? (I started on Feb 1st)

• Moderators

Oh no! Sorry to hear that!

Normally I would point you to the link that says 'do I have to start over'... but you already sort of answered your own question. Your body feels yucky... that's a pretty good indication that you have a reaction to peanuts... In order to heal your gut, you need 30 days of no inflammatory food and then you can get good information from your re-introduction.

I would encourage you to start over.

Just joined the forum and excited to find a group that all started the same day as me! This is prob my 4th round at whole30 and loving it. I have done it a few times before but when I think back I have never truly completed a whole30. I realized this after reading it starts with food and thinking about the things I ate that I shouldn't have. Excited to stick with it more strict this time.

I woke up with some stomach pains this morning but I had a great breakfast and lots of fluids and I'm already feeling better.

Has anyone had issues with meat not having ingredient labels? I am making rack of lamb tonight that I got from trader joes and I can't seem to find an ingredient list on it anywhere. Just want to make sure it is completely compliant and doesn't have sugar snuck in anywhere.

It's day 8 for me...still struggling with the AM eating. I think this is probably related to my own health issues and not whole 30 so I need to forge a path for me that works for me. That said I did eat breakfast today - 2 hours after waking - and I did NOT throw up. Yay. 

I am a tad grumpy today. I was grumpy on day 3 and wanted to kill everyone but the granddaughter who I was babysitting (thank god cause you can't kill people with a 15 month old in your lap) my DH suffered the most that day...his came on day 5. Has anyone else experienced this up and down feelings on this program. Today I am discouraged and I don't know why. I slept well last night. I woke up my usual happy self - then whammo -headache, stuffy head, and I am grouchy enough that I notice. 

Very Normal to feel that way in the first two weeks or so. Your body is still adjusting to the new routine and new foods and learning how to get energy from foods other than sugar! Keep your head up and keep at it. Think about the small victories your making to keep you motivated. Like breakfast this morning not making your throw up good job!

• Moderators

Has anyone had issues with meat not having ingredient labels? I am making rack of lamb tonight that I got from trader joes and I can't seem to find an ingredient list on it anywhere. Just want to make sure it is completely compliant and doesn't have sugar snuck in anywhere.

If a meat package doesn't have an ingredient label then it's just meat.  Manufacturers are required by law to list ingredients.  Is this rack of lamb marinated or just a bare piece of meat in packaging?

Hello Everyone,

Happy Day 9! I feel some lightness of energy today for the first time...love it. I remember last time I did this, my sleeping/waking patterns improved so much along with my energy. Instead of being a little slow to awaken, I wake up earlier and more refreshed eating this way. I also sleep more soundly....My first reaction is to wonder why I don't eat this way all the time....!! But, I have to say, I've been cooking is a bonding thing in my home anyway, and sharing our traditions is a powerful thing. I guess the trick is now, to make new, healthier traditions/recipes...and ones that both kids and adults can enjoy as well.

I know what you mean about labels on meats...I heard on the news recently that the government has actually relaxed some of its labeling requirements for the meat industry. You may not always know where you're meat is coming from. I try to source my meat very local now.

I also want to get better at creating high protein vegetarian meals, so I'm not always relying on animal protein like I am now.

I keep reading about the great sleep but mine seems to be off.  I am having trouble falling asleep - once that happens I am fine.  Last night I got in bed at 9, no caffeine, no tv, read my book for 30 minutes but could not truly fall asleep until after 12.  Any ideas?

Thank you for the reply. My body was definitely having a reaction I could not sleep a wink last night and that is very abnormal for me, I'm usually out soon as I get to bed ( no coffee since breakfast ).I think I will add another week to this journey. In the meantime I will definitely learn more about the program and do my research.

Oh no! Sorry to hear that!

Normally I would point you to the link that says 'do I have to start over'... but you already sort of answered your own question. Your body feels yucky... that's a pretty good indication that you have a reaction to peanuts... In order to heal your gut, you need 30 days of no inflammatory food and then you can get good information from your re-introduction.

I would encourage you to start over.

• Moderators

I keep reading about the great sleep but mine seems to be off.  I am having trouble falling asleep - once that happens I am fine.  Last night I got in bed at 9, no caffeine, no tv, read my book for 30 minutes but could not truly fall asleep until after 12.  Any ideas?

Do you eat starchy carbs at your last meal of the day?  That can help some people with their sleep.  Is your room cool, dark and quiet? Did you have trouble sleeping before Whole30?  Do you eat less than a couple hours before bed?

Sorry for all the questions, but if you can answer those then we might be able to help :)

Yes to the starchy carbs, yes to cool, dark and quiet room.  Before I had no trouble falling asleep just staying asleep, now I have trouble falling asleep but when I do I sleep well - i just need more than 5-6 hours of sleep.  I eat around 6 and then bed at 9.  I am hoping tonight will be better.  

• Moderators

Yes to the starchy carbs, yes to cool, dark and quiet room.  Before I had no trouble falling asleep just staying asleep, now I have trouble falling asleep but when I do I sleep well - i just need more than 5-6 hours of sleep.  I eat around 6 and then bed at 9.  I am hoping tonight will be better.  

You can try taking a magnesium supplement like Natural Calm (unflavored).  It helps with sleep and as an added bonus, also digestion... there are many threads on Natural Calm and sleep here on the forums... just google 'whole30 natural calm' and you'll find lots of good stuff to read through.

Day 11 for me!! 

Starting to have some cravings and odd dreams about food! Also still waking up through the night and getting out of bed is still tough (not as tough as normal though!) but I've had sleep issues for a very long time, so I'm not expecting them to improve dramatically in 11 days.

I am having to stomach cramps after I eat, not sure what thats from. But I'm sure they will pass

Hello everyone! I'm doing the whole30 for the second time and I started in 02/01 - so it's day 10 to me. My first time was great, I did it to kill my sugar dragon and cravings and it worked really well. But since I started the reintroduction I totally lost the control with sugar, and that's why I decided to start it over again.

Since day 5 I started to crave all the sugary things in the world, and it's been really hard for me to handle that because my friends, boyfriend, family and co-workers still eat that stuff all day long. So, I decided to eat the complient food as much as I need or want to help me to pass through this phase. It happens that I'm eating lots of nuts, that I know I shouldn't! But since I had started the program 3 times and fall off the wagon because of this cravings, I think it's better for me to eat the nuts than the sugary stuff, considering that this is just temporary until the cravings go away.

I am noticing the difference from the first time, when I was in control of everything I ate, and now, that I eat nuts more than I know is healthy. Should I start it over again tomorrow without the nuts?

Any opinions about that?

Thank you all for the support and congrats for doing it right to day 10!!!

Week 1 was tough, but I made it through and half way through week 2.  I am eating healthier than I ever have!  I also feel really fat!!  I don't feel like I am losing anything and my clothes don't feel any looser.  Is anyone else feeling like this?  Why could I possibly be feeling like this?  

Any thoughts would be helpful, thanks!

• Moderators

Week 1 was tough, but I made it through and half way through week 2.  I am eating healthier than I ever have!  I also feel really fat!!  I don't feel like I am losing anything and my clothes don't feel any looser.  Is anyone else feeling like this?  Why could I possibly be feeling like this?  

Any thoughts would be helpful, thanks!

Have you checked out the timeline? You're probably just hitting the "For the love of Gosling, my pants are tighter" phase. Hang in there, it gets better. Try not to stress about the weight loss. If you're not sure if you're eating the right things or the right amounts of things, feel free to post in the Troubleshooting section of the forum -- include a couple of days' worth of meals (with approximate portion sizes), water intake, exercise, and sleep, as well as anything else you think might be relevant (like if you're pregnant, breastfeeding, dealing with a chronic illness). 

I am throwing up for the last two days and my pants are still tighter. I have decided that I am going to think positively about this and this means despite my stomach going crazy the process is working for me. I am determined to see this through. After all I threw up for almost 2 years everyday before they figured out what was wrong- so this little blip is nothing.

Hello everyone! I'm doing the whole30 for the second time and I started in 02/01 - so it's day 10 to me. My first time was great, I did it to kill my sugar dragon and cravings and it worked really well. But since I started the reintroduction I totally lost the control with sugar, and that's why I decided to start it over again.

Since day 5 I started to crave all the sugary things in the world, and it's been really hard for me to handle that because my friends, boyfriend, family and co-workers still eat that stuff all day long. So, I decided to eat the complient food as much as I need or want to help me to pass through this phase. It happens that I'm eating lots of nuts, that I know I shouldn't! But since I had started the program 3 times and fall off the wagon because of this cravings, I think it's better for me to eat the nuts than the sugary stuff, considering that this is just temporary until the cravings go away.

I am noticing the difference from the first time, when I was in control of everything I ate, and now, that I eat nuts more than I know is healthy. Should I start it over again tomorrow without the nuts?

Any opinions about that?

Thank you all for the support and congrats for doing it right to day 10!!!

If you few like you are relying on nuts to help your sugar craving and using them as a crutch then yes I would cut them out! By eating them when your crazing sugar your still technically satisfying the craving and not breaking the habit. Try eating larger meals with more added fat to keep you more full longer and drink plenty of fluids! Good luck and keep up all your hard work ☺️

Archived