Starting February 1st!

wdiffin

Today is a new day & I'm happy to be joining the Whole 30 for the next 30...one day at a time. Coming off a sugar & cheap-carb packed weekend- that feels awful in body, mind, heart, & spirit. Looking forward to slaying this sugar dragon & for the energy gonna feel SOON.

Today's breakfast was yummy sautéed shallots and zucchini in olive oil with two eggs scrambled in and 1/4 avocado on top. And coffee. Whole food tastes so good. Just gotta take it a meal at a time so don't psych myself out. Glad to be joining our visions for happiness & health here!

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Started my third Whole 30 today! 

I had a lot of great results from two that I did last year, but since September, I've put some weight back on, and now I'm ready to shed it and get back to eating better and feeling better. In the past, I always (sneakily) weighed myself throughout, this time I'm doing this right and forgetting the scale. It's not about the number now, I just want to feel like I'm in control. I already feel better so far today, and excited for the next 29 days and beyond!

• Moderators

Today is day 1 for me. This is my first time doing Whole 30. I lost 75 pounds on Ideal Protein 2 years ago, and have gained it all back. I want to try Whole 30 because it seems like it adapts to a diet I can stick with for life and stop the yo-yo weight loss for life.  I am jumping in with little prep, but I do not want to wait another day to feel better. I have not stepped on a scale for a year, but I know I am at my heaviest weight. I have skin issues, joint soreness, and no energy. I plan to go home tonight an create a "No-fly zone" for my kids snacks. And clean up everything else. My husband is on board, at least I know he will be when he is at home and around me.

Need lots of support. What's the best way? Is there a facebook group just for February people?

I am SOOOO ready to feel better. How's day one for everyone?

All the support you will ever need is built right into this forum!  Ask any questions you need and experienced Whole30'rs and moderators alike will help you out with cheers, support and tough love if you need it.  You can always post in the troublshooting section of the forum if you want us to take a look at your intake or if you're having anything else that you want to talk about.  Also, google is the best way to search this forum.  Google 'whole30 plus your subject' and you'll get tons of hits... everything that can be asked probably already has been... even whether or not paper is compliant (no kidding!).

There ARE Facebook groups out there but they're not moderated or monitored by whole30 or the moderators so it can be a little 'wild west' out there as far as the type of instruction, motivation, help and troubleshooting you're going to get.  

• Moderators

Hi! I just started today too! Very excited, lots of preparation yesterday because my week is so busy. 

I have only Friday of this week that I can cook fresh, so I tried to prepare about 8 meals in advance. Hoping on Wednesday I can do some sort of slow cooker meal. 

I cooked the spinach fritatta that said "Serves 2" for the breakfast this morning and BOY is it HUGE. So I only ate a quarter of it and only half an avocado and a banana. I hope thats ok...

Any suggestions for a good slow cooker chicken dish? 

You'd be better off eating more of the frittata or avocado and leaving the banana aside if you're having trouble getting through the whole portion.  Fruit shouldn't push veggies off your plate and honestly, fruit in the morning can be a set up for a sugar crash and unpredictable hunger later in the day :)

• Moderators

I hope I'm remembering how to do this forum from last time....don't think you need Facebook to be in dialogue with one another. We can share the journey by posting right here, correct? That's how I'm starting anyway...SandyEG

You got it sister!

Hello - newbie to whole30 here. I looked into doing one a couple of years ago, and managed maybe a week before letting work/stress/being overwhelmed get in the way. I eat mostly clean (with wine...) except when stressed or on travel, which was pretty much all of 2015! 

I'm six months from 40, and want to feel/believe in being fabulous once that birthday comes around. Got back into the swing of working out in November, did 10 days no alcohol and 21 days no sugar in January and realized how much the wine + sugar messes with my sleep! Doing this solo on the home-front as hubby isn't "all in" but hoping to re-orient the kids towards healthier options.  Great to see people's meals and hear how others are doing on here and thanks in advance for the support!

-P.  

I started today as well!!  This is the first time doing Whole 30.  I have been dairy free for about 5 years and know that I need to be gluten free.  So looking forward to keeping this lifestyle (or as close to it) as I possibly can after the 30 days.  It wasn't too bad of a day (although my day isn't over yet).  I am most concerned about making sure that my meals are planned and prepped.  I work 11:30am - 9:30pm with an hour drive each way.  Meal prep is key.  Today, the first day was a good day.  Hoping the same for the rest of the week :-) Now hoping to figure out when to get the exercise in other than the 8 hours I stand and walk at work   :-p

The best to all of you, we can DO THIS!!!  

Hello all those newbies starting Feb.1.   I am one also. I have been planning to start Whole30 for two months. Waiting for the holidays and a trip to colorado to be over.   So the day has finally arrived.  Spent a lot of time in the kitchen today but each day will be different with meals made from leftovers or from scratch.  I am 66 and excited to see the difference this Whole30 adventure will make.

• Moderators

I am also starting Feb.1. I was going to start the 8th. After my shopping trip Sunday I decided to start today instead. Today went well. The only thing I can't find at the store is coconut aminos. Any suggestions?

If you have a local health food store, you might try there, or Whole Foods. Or check the Coconut Secret website's store locator and see if they're available soemwhere near you, and it also lists places to order online if they're not. You might ask at your local grocery store if they'd be willing to get them for you as well. I was kind of surprised to be wandering down an aisle at my local store and see them -- they had them in the gluten-free section, not in with soy sauce where I would have thought they'd be. 

For now, you can probably skip them in most recipes, especially if there's not very much needed. 

I am also starting Feb.1. I was going to start the 8th. After my shopping trip Sunday I decided to start today instead. Today went well. The only thing I can't find at the store is coconut aminos. Any suggestions?

Our local grocery stores have them, but each one keeps it in a different place, lol.  Sometimes with the soy sauces and vinegars, sometimes in gluten free, sometimes with the health food if they have an actual section.

I'm starting another round today, prepped lunches for the week by making up a large pot of sweet potato chili.  Which didn't actually turn out much like chili but it is a lovely stew type soup. :)

yesterday went well.  I found today a bit harder, as I've run out of spinach, and despise the grocery store.  Meal planning is a MUST.  This morning I made eggs and threw in green pepper, oinion and tomato.  It was hard to finish it as I was still not hungry.  I guess I will adjust.  My head was hurting so bad last night - similar to after i get a massage.  increasing water consumption today, and hopefully my gut will allign soon!!!  I quit smoking in June so I know it's usually a week or so before the body evens out....  Temptation is going to be hard - as I'm the only one in the house doing whole30, and when they're discussing ordering pizza or chinese I'm looking at my avocado and salmon salad... Anywho - here's to a "reset"!

Good morning Day 2.  Look out for that timeline, ladies! :) I learned the hard way on my first W30 that it is essential to get enough animal protein/fat if you don't want to be overwhelmed by brain fog and fatigue these first few days. 

I'm a little tired and headachey myself this morning, but I know it will pass in a couple of days.  Just remember, you're worth it! We can do this!

I started yesterday Feb. 1st too.  Thought about it for long time now, but never thought I had the will power to do it.  Doing less for weight loss, but more for getting my mind sharp again and having more energy.  Plus great excuse to give up the wine for a while.  My husband says he'll start Wed. with me so I'm okay with coming up with dinner ideas bc of all the recipes.  I was amazed how many things I have in my cabinets/fridge currently that have sugar in them...sauces, marinades, seasoning...etc.  What are some good snacks??  First day I went out to lunch with a friend and that was eye opening how hard it is to order off a menu.  Optimistically looking forward to this but nervous as hell too.

Ok, so I see a lot of coconut stuff in whole30. Problem is that I detest coconut!!! I can handle a little coconut oil if I spice up my food and for some reason, I do love curries (again, i think it is more about the spices). I love to cook and even before I began whole30 I have been incorporating a lot of the cooking techniques. I made a stir fry last night but found myself scratching my head on how to replace the soy sauce. I just added more spices, but there is something about adding the liquid.

I have read on this forum and online about coconut aminos, but does it TASTE like coconut, even just a little bit???? thanks in advance!! 

• Moderators

No, Coconut aminos don't taste even a LITTLE bit like coconut.  But you don't really need to use them... between all of the experienced 30'rs here, we've pretty much made every recipe that calls for them and they always turn out just fine without the addition of the aminos so you don't need to use them if you don't want.

Hey Everyone,

Congrats on Day two! Lauren-I too, laughed out loud ( ie:moment of silence). And Erin-I'm rooting for you-it's definitely harder if you can't have a healthy, whole 30 kitchen where everybody is on board. My husband is joining me this time around, by his own choice completely. So far, so good. Someone mentioned keeping up with a good amount of protein intake. It really is key. As for snacks, in theory, it's time to examine how often, and why, we are grabbing for a snack. I've heard before, that it's useful to have a big glass of water, then see if you're still hungry. I also heard through the forum I did last year, that if you'd turn down broccoli or fish as your snack, then you know, you're not really hungry, but just wanting to munch. Kind of funny, right? Who really craves broccoli or fish? And if does sound good, maybe you are truly hungry, and you probably really do need a snack--so go ahead and eat! Nuts, any munchable veggies, an apple....I believe all are good choices...

Keep on, my friends!

sandyEG

• Moderators

--so go ahead and eat! Nuts, any munchable veggies, an apple....I believe all are good choices...

If you are hungry enough to eat fish and broccoli, we do recommend a mini meal of protein and fat and ideally veggies too.  Nuts and fruit on their own (or combined) are not a good choice due to their food without brakes status as well as the volume of sugar.  Chicken and olives, a hard boiled egg and the apple or carrots, sardines and mayo are all good choices. :)

• Moderators

I started yesterday Feb. 1st too.  Thought about it for long time now, but never thought I had the will power to do it.  Doing less for weight loss, but more for getting my mind sharp again and having more energy.  Plus great excuse to give up the wine for a while.  My husband says he'll start Wed. with me so I'm okay with coming up with dinner ideas bc of all the recipes.  I was amazed how many things I have in my cabinets/fridge currently that have sugar in them...sauces, marinades, seasoning...etc.  What are some good snacks??  First day I went out to lunch with a friend and that was eye opening how hard it is to order off a menu.  Optimistically looking forward to this but nervous as hell too.

When you get your meal sizes worked out, you shouldn't need to snack. Your meals should keep you satiated for 4-5 hours at a time, and if you have long enough days to cover more than three meals doing them spaced out like that, or if as you're starting out and figuring out how to build your meals you find yourself truly hungry between meals -- hungry, as in you'd eat steamed fish and broccoli or something similarly bland and unexciting -- have a mini-meal of protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of the three.

Also don't forget that your pre- and post-workout meals on days when you work out are in addition to those three meals.

Here's the meal template that shows how your meals should look.

Archived