Starting February 1st!

wdiffin

I'm feeling so much more energetic and healthy that I am thinking at the end of the 30 days, that I might keep going (maybe after a few days of R&R). I find that I am a lot more organised and focussed at work and that I clean and tidy up a lot more around the house. Not sure whether it is because I have more energy or whether the 'whole/clean' philosophy is permeating other areas of my life. Doesn't matter, whatever the reason, the result is good!

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Everyone,

Congrats to everyone making it to day 24! Like the last time I did the whole 30, I'll be continuing on to do another 30, or sixty, days. This time though, it's because I've been away, and just couldn't maintain the plan. I was at a vegetarian yoga retreat, (which was wonderful) and ate some quinoa, rice, and oats while I was there. Still stayed away from dairy and sugar, but really felt like I needed the grains since it was a vegetarian menu. What's nice to see is that in appropriate healthy forms like quinoa, my body is ok with a moderate amount of grains...I think it's just the processed grains and pastas that disagree with me over time....

So...even though my new, geniune, start date is today, I plan to keep reading and posting here....I hope everyone's journey has been productive and healthy so far! And I'm glad to be home!

Sandy

Yes...I highly recommend taking time retreat time! I've found it's really useful, even inspiring to step out of my everyday life, to slow down, and tap into new energy and thoughts that I didn't even know were inside me. There's something real sweet about being happy to come home too.... :) Sandy

• Moderators

Hi everyone, 

I have a question for you all.....I'm realizing that I am confused about the difference between sweet potatoes and yams!  Which is which, and can I assume they are interchangeable for whole 30? Sandy

Both are fine for Whole30. Any variety of sweet potato (or regular potato) is fine for Whole30. This article explains the differences and a bit about why there's confusion.

TGIF everyone,

Thanks for the imput on sweet potatoes...I think even my grocery store is confused about them! I sure am happy to be home and back to making my own food. I am going to continue on past day 30 too, It's nice to heart some other folks are planning to also. Even my husband is enjoying the benefits of the whole 30 and wants to keep going. The only thing I wish I was doing differently right now, is eating more fish for protein. Living on PA now, and just don't really trust where/how fresh the fish is here...if I did, I think I'd be relying more on fish for protein, rather than red meat and poultry...anyway....hope everyone has a great weekend! Oh...and my husband has been making me a great "mocktail"...it's club soda, with lime, and ginger (that he squeezes using a garlic press). I recommend it! Sandy

Day 29 for me! and I think I will have to call it quits today. I had a few minor slips during last week, which were complete accidents but they have opened up some disordered eating issues for me.

Instead of acknowledging that they were completely out of my control, I have begun to punish myself by not allowing myself to eat anything (and I mean nothing - no food at all) as I might not know what is hidden in it, I have become so obsessed with food that it is significantly impacting my anxiety levels and I haven't slept much over the past few days.

So I made it to Day 27 I guess, although my last 2 days were technically Whole 30 compliant, I have only really eaten some raw nuts and a boiled egg.

Well Day 28 and while I am not experiencing any "tiger blood" highs, I do feel slightly better than I did before and I am taking that positive fact and counting this as a win.  As I have a multitude of health issues, MS, arthritis, and digestion and absorption issues, I expect it will take me a little bit longer to see results. Thats okay as I believe I am on the right pathway to better overall health. It makes sense that for those of us who start the journey with health issues we will not follow the same timeline as others. Our bodies have to heal and healing takes time and energy.  I am experiencing a slight increase in my energy levels and I am eating (which is wonderful) and keeping the food down that I do eat. My choices may seem boring to others but it's working for me so I am not complaining. Sleep the last few days has not been as wonderful as it had been the last 2 weeks, and no I cannot add anymore supplements or the like to my daily intake, but I miss the good sleep I was experiencing.  I also am still experiencing the tight belly and bloating every few days. I am thinking it must be a detoxing process and I am simply going to take longer to experience lasting effects. I sure hope that swings back my way, as I loved feeling refreshed when I woke up. What I have learned is that I like how I feel for the most part and while I may modify my daily eating plan in the future to a more paleo way of eating, this is working for me. I am looking forward to day 31 and wine though and eventually my beloved chai tea lattes, if dairy isn't one of my issues. The hubby and I are planning a really slow route for reintroduction of foods. 

I have so happy to be at day 29 but a little apprehensive of reintroducing some things back in.  Any suggestions on better options to sugar in my tea?  I really love my tea that way and cannot see staying without some type of sweet in the long term.  I do think I will continue to really limit sugar and carbs and go light on dairy moving forward.  Happy to say that I have tried lots of new recipes and foods that will continue to be in my regular rotation.  Congrats to all!

I have so happy to be at day 29 but a little apprehensive of reintroducing some things back in. Any suggestions on better options to sugar in my tea? I really love my tea that way and cannot see staying without some type of sweet in the long term. I do think I will continue to really limit sugar and carbs and go light on dairy moving forward. Happy to say that I have tried lots of new recipes and foods that will continue to be in my regular rotation. Congrats to all!

What about honey? I enjoy honey in my tea every now and then. Of corse not while on w30

Day 30 for me and feeling great food wise. I have been sick the last few days so that's no fun but I have more energy while being sick than I think I would if I was eating bad. Not craving any food on reintroduction but I am looking forward to a glass of wine tomorrow night with dinner.

Yeah!  To day 30.   Congratulations to you all how were successful.

I had to restart at day 6 due to eating a bite of Pizza off my grandson's plate.  Totally unconscious Grandma move.  So I have 6 more days to ponder how I will do the reintroduction.  I have the Whole30 cook book and have been reading the reintroduction section.  So very helpful.   They share two versions (Express 10 days) or the SLOW method taking you time and using events to choose when you will try something off plan.     

I have not had many noticeable differences with Whole30.  But I am hoping to have some Blood test done at the end of this week to see if all those magic numbers improve.   I would like to stay on Whole30 for the most part going forward.  I am amazed that I can live without sugar and breads etc and dairy.   Hoping to make them either very special events or very limited.  Good bye junk food and soda and sweets as normal :)

How have you all fared?   To those like me who had to restart,  YOU CAN DO IT!  Praying for us all.

My whole 30 went well.  I too was surprised after the first 7 days that I could handle not having all the things that I thought I needed/loved.  It has been a great experience and has forced me to explore new foods and recipes.  Had blood work done last week and my cholesterol was done 30 points so I am really happy with that and lost 15 pounds.  My clothes are loose and I am feeling good and I hope that this will help me to continue to be mindful of what I put in my mouth and the impact it has on my body and mind.  Good luck to those continuing on.  I will see you all next February - I am going to commit to this as an annual process.  Cheers! 

• 10 months later...

Joined the forum - I think it will be so helpful with commitment! Made it 20 days in January and broke. Not proud of it! But formed lots of healthy habits and I'm ready to recommit for the month of February :):)

I've been blogging about my experience, even about falling off the wagon, but this was my first post about all the amazing new things I found to try to replace cravings for things like cheese, salty snacks, and alcohol.:http://www.thatgirlworksout.com/2017/01/one-full-week-of-whole-30-feeling-good.html

Very excited to get back on track!!

Archived