Hair Loss?

I'm on Day 16 of the Whole30 and at my hair appointment this morning my stylist was incredibly concerned that I had lost/and am losing a substantial amount of hair since my appointment 6 weeks ago. She was concerned enough to bring it up, and ask if I had recently had my thyroid checked or if I was extreme dieting.

Obviously I would call this diet extreme, but not in the way that I would assume causes hair loss! I have been feeling great (aside from a minor cold) eating my suggested amount of fats, proteins and veggies and haven't felt hungry, or like I'm losing a ton of weight (I was fairly trim/fit when starting the program, with just some excess holiday pounds). I wondered if this could just be temporarily related to my food/body changes, or if I need to be concerned that it's something else!

• Moderators

Like Tom said, this isn't normal. I would just put out there that sometimes when people go too low car, they could experience this (though not everyone does) -- are you including at least one serving of starchy vegetables each day?

Definitely worth talking to your doctor about, though, just rule out thyroid or other medical issues.

• Moderators

It could be nothing to do with anything medical and just your own body's shedding cycle.  I agree that you could up your carb intake (if you've inadvertently gone super low carb) and maybe have a chat with your doctor but it could be nothing and just that she saw you in the height of a shedding cycle.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On January 22, 2016 at 10:50 AM, sarahascott said:

I'm on Day 16 of the Whole30 and at my hair appointment this morning my stylist was incredibly concerned that I had lost/and am losing a substantial amount of hair since my appointment 6 weeks ago. She was concerned enough to bring it up, and ask if I had recently had my thyroid checked or if I was extreme dieting.

Obviously I would call this diet extreme, but not in the way that I would assume causes hair loss! I have been feeling great (aside from a minor cold) eating my suggested amount of fats, proteins and veggies and haven't felt hungry, or like I'm losing a ton of weight (I was fairly trim/fit when starting the program, with just some excess holiday pounds). I wondered if this could just be temporarily related to my food/body changes, or if I need to be concerned that it's something else!

Hey there. Would love to know if this got better for you. I've noticed that I'm  shedding twice as much as I did before starting whole30. I just figured it was my body's way of detoxing somehow.  Did you have to go to the doctor or did you stop losing hair?  I'm on day 30 and will continue on, as my health issues have yet to improve. I'm a little concerned about the hair loss tho since your replies all said it wasn't normal. ;(

18 hours ago, MOboysgirl said:

Hey there. Would love to know if this got better for you. I've noticed that I'm  shedding twice as much as I did before starting whole30. I just figured it was my body's way of detoxing somehow.  Did you have to go to the doctor or did you stop losing hair?  I'm on day 30 and will continue on, as my health issues have yet to improve. I'm a little concerned about the hair loss tho since your replies all said it wasn't normal. ;(

When you say your health issues have yet to improve what issues are we talking about?

Pre-meno.  Meno-meno.  Post-meno.  Woman lose some hair, it's hormones and thyroid.  Men go bald, too. Hormones, genetics, male meno-meno.  Ayup.  

Extreme dieting will make your hair fall out and leave you with twigs. Self-induced baldness by starving.  That's a cumulative effect and usually over the course of many diets with weight cycling.

But 30 Whole days won't do that.  It's takes many dieting cycles with wild swings UP and down to see hair loss, baldness and twigs.

On September 8, 2016 at 7:46 AM, jmcbn said:

When you say your health issues have yet to improve what issues are we talking about?

For the last 3 years I've had a body temperature regulation problem. My face neck and back get very hot while my arms, hands and feet get cold. It's very uncomfortable. Sleep with ice pack on my face and heating pad on my feet. It typically happens every day at no particular time and can last for hours on 10 minutes. Im freezing hot. Shivering while fanning my face. I was diagnoses incorrectly with perimenopause so took natural hormone replacements for a year. When that showed no improvement. had further testing and new doctor found my hormone levels in normal range so stopped taking hormones. Many doctors, many test, no diagnosis. Could be my hypothalamus gland. I have chronic neck and back pain/ inflammation from car accident 15 years ago. Every test shows me as "incredibly healthy."  I'm physically fit and 44 years old. I'm done with test for now and that's why I'm doing whole30. Hubby and I on day 32. I was hoping it would take away my neck and back pain and regulate my body temperature. It's actually worse now but we're not giving up. I realize it can take longer than 30 days for our bodies to heal. Must admit I'm sad that I haven't had any relief yet but have seen other benefits. Hopeful for the day my health takes a turn for the better. 

On September 8, 2016 at 1:12 PM, MeadowLily said:

Pre-meno.  Meno-meno.  Post-meno.  Woman lose some hair, it's hormones and thyroid.  Men go bald, too. Hormones, genetics, male meno-meno.  Ayup.  

Extreme dieting will make your hair fall out and leave you with twigs. Self-induced baldness by starving.  That's a cumulative effect and usually over the course of many diets with weight cycling.

But 30 Whole days won't do that.  It's takes many dieting cycles with wild swings UP and down to see hair loss, baldness and twigs.

Thanks. I haven't dieted before. Just getting back to eating cleaner. I'm losing twice as much hair consistently since week 2. It's crazy! I actually lost hair years ago due to extreme stress. That was actual hair loss- on parts of my scalp. This is just extreme shedding. Luckily i have a lot of hair so it's not visibly noticeable. But curious if I'm doing something with my eating to cause this. 

There's alot of serious and complex medical conditions that come across the forum every day. Here's the upslope and positive takeaway,  ISWF is a blueprint for overall health and wellbeing. Follow the book and your hair won't fall out.  

I know what extreme dieting is and how it works.  It will make your hair fall out but that's mostly self-induced starving and over-restriction which causes more stress...that messes with everything.

8 hours ago, jmcbn said:

@MOboysgirl - what do your meals look like?

For breakfast I typically have one fried egg in ghee and a homemade sausage patty or salmon cake with roasted vegetables. Vegetables typically consist of red or sweet potato with onions and peppers tossed in olive oil and seasoning. 

Lunches are always suppers leftovers

Recent suppers-

steak w salt pepper, baked potato (with ghee)& steamed broccoli 

or grilled chicken, roasted green beans with tomatoes and onions in olive oil and seasoning (mayo and spicy brown mustard for dipping. (All compliant). Handful of grapes

Beef pot roast onions carrots potatoes. 

Sword fish steaks with grilled vegetables green peppers onions tomatoes. 

Hopefully this gives you an idea of how we eat. Thanks for reviewing. 

Your meals don't look too bad, but I wonder if you're not focusing a little too much on the starchy veg and not getting in enough greens (kale, spinach, swiss chard,  collards, romaine etc) ? I'm sure you've heard the expression 'eat the rainbow'? It's vital to do so in order to get a good range of the vitamins & minerals required for the body to function at it's full potential - greens provide calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron and vitamin A to name but a few - the latter two of which play a key role in preventing hair loss (vitamin A can also help with joint pain). Some additional fat wouldn't do any harm either....

Thank you so much jmcnn. The first two weeks we were having salads for lunches with proteins and have replaced those with supper leftover. Need to have them with supper sometimes to get those greens. We've had Brussels sprouts a few ties and they are delicious. Just wanting fr them to go on sale again. ;). Thanks so much for your input. I'm afraid I might have to cut out nightshades of my neck and back continue getting worse. Praying against that! I love tomatoes peppers and potatoes!!!  But I'd also love to be pain free

On September 10, 2016 at 3:19 PM, MOboysgirl said:

Thank you so much jmcnn. The first two weeks we were having salads for lunches with proteins and have replaced those with supper leftover. Need to have them with supper sometimes to get those greens. We've had Brussels sprouts a few ties and they are delicious. Just wanting fr them to go on sale again. ;). Thanks so much for your input. I'm afraid I might have to cut out nightshades of my neck and back continue getting worse. Praying against that! I love tomatoes peppers and potatoes!!!  But I'd also love to be pain free

If you like Brussels sprouts, you may want to look for them in the freezer section.  They are prepped and ready to cook.  In my grocery store approximately $1.29 for a 12 oz bag.  

• 4 months later...

@MOboysgirl and @sarahascott   Have either of you seen an improvement in your hair situation since completing the Whole30 program? 

I'm only on day 3 of the Whole30 program and I'm seeing more hair shedding than usual. My hair started shedding (a lot!) shortly after I stopped taking birth control pills almost two years ago. I've gone from long, curly hair to a very short hairstyle (think Halle Berry-ish). I miss my hair. 

I had hoped the program would be instrumental in minimizing shedding...preferably, stimulating regrowth. After reading your experiences, I realize that may not be the case. 

I will follow @jmcbn's suggestion to incorporate more fat and greens to get the needed vitamins and minerals my body requires, especially vitamin A and iron (of which I am definitely deficient...I'm anemic). 

Thanks, 

Shanda

I'm glad it's not just me because I'm on day 25 of my first whole30 and i have noticed not only hair loss but a ton of hair breakage and 9 out of 10 fingernails have broken. I'm really concerned that cutting out dairy is taking a huge toll on the calcium levels we need for our bodies.  Somebody mentioned it could be my thyroid and not me stopping dairy but seems too coincidental that this has NEVER happened to me before.  I have seen a few other posts from others noticing the same problem. i have always taken gelatin and hair and nail supplement so i just recently doubled the dose because this is of great concern to me. 

If you look up foods rich in calcium 9 out of 10 of those are excluded on the whole30 so it only leaves green leafy vegetables which there is no way i can eat the amount it requires. But the body has a hard time absorbing calcium from green leafy veggies but I eat a ton everyday just trying to counteract my hair and nail loss.  Prior to Whole30 i was a HUGE cheese and greek yogurt fanatic so I know this is a huge drop in my "normal" daily calcium level. 

I cannot wait to start back on dairy because my body obviously needs it for my hair and nails.  This has been the only downside of this program but it's so drastic i am not sure i will ever be able to do this again unless i could do a modified whole30 by adding dairy.  Very discouraged at this point but will suffer through for the next 5 days.

Archived