Hair Loss?

6 minutes ago, aheath17 said:

I'm glad it's not just me because I'm on day 25 of my first whole30 and i have noticed not only hair loss but a ton of hair breakage and 9 out of 10 fingernails have broken. I'm really concerned that cutting out dairy is taking a huge toll on the calcium levels we need for our bodies.  Somebody mentioned it could be my thyroid and not me stopping dairy but seems too coincidental that this has NEVER happened to me before.  I have seen a few other posts from others noticing the same problem. i have always taken gelatin and hair and nail supplement so i just recently doubled the dose because this is of great concern to me. 

If you look up foods rich in calcium 9 out of 10 of those are excluded on the whole30 so it only leaves green leafy vegetables which there is no way i can eat the amount it requires. But the body has a hard time absorbing calcium from green leafy veggies but I eat a ton everyday just trying to counteract my hair and nail loss.  Prior to Whole30 i was a HUGE cheese and greek yogurt fanatic so I know this is a huge drop in my "normal" daily calcium level. 

I cannot wait to start back on dairy because my body obviously needs it for my hair and nails.  This has been the only downside of this program but it's so drastic i am not sure i will ever be able to do this again unless i could do a modified whole30 by adding dairy.  Very discouraged at this point but will suffer through for the next 5 days.

http://whole9life.com/2012/02/what-about-calcium/

@ArtFossil so sorry for your hair loss. Not a fun thing to experience. I too thought it was more than a coincidence when I started loosing significantly more than normal while doing whole30. I still don't know what causes it. I didn't consume a lot of dairy before whole30 so it wasn't due to that. I had extensive blood work done due to an undiagnosed medical condition and finally diagnosed with adrenal fatigue and hypothyroidism. It might be beneficial to have your thyroid checked . And not just the baseline test that most doctors do. Sometimes they need to dig deeper. Best of luck to you. 

4 minutes ago, MOboysgirl said:

@ArtFossil so sorry for your hair loss. Not a fun thing to experience. I too thought it was more than a coincidence when I started loosing significantly more than normal while doing whole30. I still don't know what causes it. I didn't consume a lot of dairy before whole30 so it wasn't due to that. I had extensive blood work done due to an undiagnosed medical condition and finally diagnosed with adrenal fatigue and hypothyroidism. It might be beneficial to have your thyroid checked . And not just the baseline test that most doctors do. Sometimes they need to dig deeper. Best of luck to you. 

Not my hair loss, @MOboysgirl but the original poster's. I was just posting a link explaining all the sources of calcium one can get without diary. But sorry for your hair loss.

post meant for @aheath17

well thank goodness you received a diagnosis. I just don't understand if I do have an underlying condition why it started so suddenly and drastically in the middle of my whole30 as i have never experienced this in my life before but I'm almost over the 30 days now so will be interesting to see if my hair and nails improve once I am back to my normal diet. I have researched this issue a little deeper and found other people complain of the same issue while on the program so there has to be some reason for that. However, I was a daily consumer of cheese, almond milk, and nonfat greek yogurt and enriched grains/bread but with this program the only thing left on the top 10 calcium foods list i ate was dark leafy greens but with those the body does not absorb calcium very well so it's almost impossible to get the recommended daily calcium levels on the whole30.

Top 10 calcium-rich foods: 1. Cheese, 2. Yogurt, 3. Milk,  4. Sardines, 5. Dark leafy greens, 6. Fortified cereals 7. Fortified orange juice, 8. Soybeans, 9. Fortified soymilk, and 10. Enriched breads, grains, and waffles

Anyways, thank you for the information and if my hair and nails don't improve in weeks after restoring my normal diet then I will definitely have some bloodwork done to investigate further.

I do feel like it's more than a coincidence. I don't actually think my diagnosis causes hair loss but I was assuming so. At first I wondered if it was how my body was detoxing but I'm still losing hair. Although not quite as much. I sure wish I had an answer for you because I know how concerning this is. I guess you'll know more once you reintroduce dairy. I sure wish you well. 

• 1 year later...

I am on Day 27 and experiencing severe hair loss.  My hair was extremely full and thick prior to starting Whole30 and up until day 22.  I too, believe it has a lot to do with not enough of calcium and probably iron absorption.  I am looking forward to incorporating more grains back into my diet.  I do think that this should be something that should be thoroughly discussed in all forums.

• Moderators
12 hours ago, whole30foodie said:

I am on Day 27 and experiencing severe hair loss.  My hair was extremely full and thick prior to starting Whole30 and up until day 22.  I too, believe it has a lot to do with not enough of calcium and probably iron absorption.  I am looking forward to incorporating more grains back into my diet.  I do think that this should be something that should be thoroughly discussed in all forums.

Have a read through this regarding calcium

http://whole9life.com/2012/02/what-about-calcium/

Archived