Low immune system?

srhcmt

I'm on Day 21, and I've been completely Whole30 compliant. I thought this diet improves your immune system, I have been sick half the time. I got strep throat a couple days in to starting the diet which I haven't had since I was very little. Now I have a very bad cold. I'm never sick. My husband jokes that I'm not allowed to get sick because, "who would take care of the kids?" (he's always got something). So do some people experience a drop in their immune system?

• Moderators

Well it IS cold and flu season so it might have nothing to do with the Whole30. That said, if your body is prioritizing healing of ongoing immune or other medical conditions, it could cause a dip in your immune system.

Can you post a few days of what you've been eating including portion sizes and meal timing so we can see if there's any tweaking we can do?

Thanks for the response. I eat four meals a day most days because I workout (swimming, stationary bike, treadmill) 1-2 hours a day unless I'm sick. My head is rolling. I can only remember yesterday, but it's pretty typical of my meals.

Meal1- 3 eggs scrambled in ghee, 1/2 cup carrots, handful of pistachios, salsa, banana

Meal2- Whole sweet potato mashed with unsweetened, vanilla, almond milk, and thumb size spoon of ghee, 3 oz grilled chicken breast

Meal3 (post-workout meal)- 2 hard-boiled eggs, 1/2 c carrot, whole tomato

Meal4- approx. 1 c ground beef with homemade taco seasoning, handful plantains, 1/2 c salsa, jalapeños, sm handful of pistachios

I drink coffee in the am and water the rest of the day.

I haven't eaten anything today otherwise I would put something.

Your veggie portion seems a bit light and I see fruit possibly pushing vegetables off of your plate.  Make sure you are eating at least 1 -3 cups of veggies with every meal.  

Other observation is that I see a lot of orange veggies here.  Not that I have anything against orange veggies.  But I just see a lot of them, and not much variation.  I also see a lot of pistachios as a fat source.  

Also not sure if your 1/2 cup of carrots are cooked or not.  You might have better results if they are cooked.  Cooked veggies are always digested better over raw.

My recommendations other than cooking your carrots?  Add more variety of vegetables.  Try Collard Greens (I just had them for the first time this week and they were delish) or turnip, or oven roasted broccoli. 

Please note that nuts should be a limited fat source - think a closed handful every other day.  Nuts on average cause bloating and gut discomfort for many.  Try homemade mayo, olives, avocado....

Thanks for the info! I'll do my best to add more to my meals.

As for the orange foods...that was just a fluke that day. While I'm never a fan of green veggies I choke them down most days. I'll try to increase those. Also I did just do nuts that day, but when I have olives, avocado, and mayo made up, I eat them regularly. The Whole30 ranch dressing is a favorite.

Archived