Day 22 - really low energy & headaches

eetn

I just read some previous posts and want to acknowledge that - yes - I am aware this is a 30 day plan and not a 22 day plan. ;)

I'm slightly concerned about my significantly low energy levels & headaches I'm experiencing, so I thought I'd check in. I ate relatively clean leading up the whole30.  This is my first time doing it.  I notice a difference in my body - leaner - and my skin - clearer.  On top of feeling like a bump on a log my sleep is also fitful. 

I am very active... I have a 2 year old son and own a yoga studio that I practice at 3-4 times a week.  I added more starches into my diet a week ago and was hoping that would help with my low energy.  I stick to the meal template and eat no less than that every meal.  Any ideas?

My last 2 days meals:

B: 2 scrambled eggs with brussel sprouts and 1/2 avocado. Handful of berries.  Cup of coffee with coconut milk.

L: 2 cups of chicken salad with 3 cups of salad greens with 2 T of olive oil.  Handful of grapes.

D: Big sweet potato with ghee, palm & half of salmon, 1 cup of cauliflower rice.

B: 2 scrambled eggs with mushrooms & spinach with 1/2 avocado. Handful of berries.  Cup of coffee with coconut milk.

L: 4 salmon cakes with 3 cups of salad greens with 2 T olive oil. and fistful of pecans.

D: 2 cups roasted spaghetti squash, pesto and 2 palms of shrimp. 

Any thoughts?  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

• Administrators

I don't notice anything out of the ordinary.  The only things I could suggest is that your breakfast probably could be larger (think 3-4 eggs or the 2 eggs with some other cooked protein) and you probably need more veggies at that meal. Spinach is nothing when cooked down and something tells me you aren't eating 3 cups of mushrooms. ;)

Do you think you're coming down with something? How's your water intake? Are you having or nearing your period?

eetn, I'm there with you. I'm on day 20 and have incredibly low energy. I actually have been throughout this whole thing, save for one day two weeks ago. I'm sleeping well and waking about five minutes before my 5:00 alarm. My headaches went away on day 3, but have since returned almost daily. I've probably lost a few pounds, but not a lot. I'm eating what feels like a ton of food. I couldn't eat more food at most of my meals. I was snacking in the beginning, but have weaned off the snacks. I was really hoping to have enough energy to exercise by now, but I can't even consider it. I've been 100% compliant on food and drink. I hope we both find some answers!

Hey everyone, this seems like the best place to ask the question...or maybe make the observation:  I am at day TEN, preceded by about ten days of 90% compliance (weaning off whey-based protein shakes).  Have been dealing with the HANGOVER sensation except for one clear headed day, now last three days have to overcome real LACK of appetite--which is weird because I love to eat, and love all the foods I get to eat on this regimen--, still in low energy phase, which I accept.  Woke up at 5 AM today with a splitting headache, not just the usual low grade, and have felt blah and even nauseated most of the morning after my compliant breakfast....does the "I'll barf if I eat ever again" feeling go away soon?   Are sharp headaches part of the shakedown?  Hanging in there for the Tiger Blood days.....

Are you eating any red meats eetn? Some people need more iron and other elements found in red meat.

Anyone who is feeling very tired, please post a list of meals as eetn has done, with quantities of servings, liquids and exercise.

Common causes are not eating enough, not eating enough starches, not eating enough vegetables and skipping pre and post workout meals (see the template PDF).

David - Nausea in the morning is very common when hormones are disrupted, as an ex-whey shake junkie, I totally feel your pain. It does get better, you can do this! Try and eat within an hour of waking up, it helps to reset your hormones. If eggs are tougher in the morning, try swapping out for meats instead. Headaches depend a lot on what you were eating before you started. I get the worst headaches from withdrawl from coffee, artificial sweeteners, sugar and dairy.

I'm experiencing really low energy as well. My last day, which is reminiscent of everyday was this:

Breakfast: two eggs, sausage, two handfuls of spinach with a cup of onions, mushrooms and peppers all cooked in ghee.

Lunch: chicken quarter, cauliflower mash (with ghee), sautéed green beans (in ghee), small apple with sunbutter

Dinner: 7oz ribeye steak, baked potato with ghee, large salad with mushrooms, broccoli slaw, peppers, red onions, romaine.

Archived